Bill O'Reilly"s downfall

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Bill O'Reilly"s downfall

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:Here you are, ...
You appear confused as the authority that lays down the dogma has to be an atheist one and there is no such authority.
I would agree with you that Atheism has a dogma...though a very limited and anti-intellectual one.
For example, these are the Atheist commandments:
No gods. ...
Not so, there well may be 'God's' I just don't believe in the evidence so far.
No allowing that anyone else has reason to believe in gods. ...
I think I understand why some believe in them. Others I think just believe what they are told and especially since they are told so before they can reason and I think there's a deliberate reason for that.
All "religions" will be treated as the same. (All will be kept in fuzzy focus only.)
Depends what IC means here? As so far I treat them all as having never been able to produce their 'God/s' to any great satisfaction.
No part of the achievements of any "religion" will count. Every sin committed by any will be attributed to all. ...
This is just nonsense, I as an atheist recognise the good and the bad in religions. But what he says is pretty much what he does with his 'Atheists'.
No Atheist is to be required to justify his/her disbelief in any way.
What do you think a disbelief is? As it's not holding a belief at all in my case.
That's pretty much the dogma. ...
No it's not. For it to be a dogma it'd have to be written by an atheist authority and there isn't one.
IC is a good enough authority for me.
Well of course, as he's a theist like yourself.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Tue May 09, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Greta wrote:I must say, you are one of the most forceful and determined Christian warriors I've ever encountered online. I marvel at your drive and passion for it.
When you know something is true, it's not hard to find the drive for it. When you genuinely believe it's the only hope for us all, you have a very strong motive for persistence, and when you've been transformed by something, you have a passion for it.

It's no credit to me. Knowing Jesus Christ has made my life so very much better than it could ever otherwise have been. How can I not feel strongly about that? I wish everybody could have that experience.

But thank you for saying so. Very kind. And I appreciate your perseverance and thought too.
I could never submit to a tradition so completely.
Well, it's not a "tradition." At least, it isn't to me. I would say that a "tradition" is what you get from other people. A conviction is what you get from seeking truth yourself, I would say.
Flawed as my mind is, I want to remain independent and neutral - to be an observer rather than a promoter.
C.S. Lewis said that neutrality and independence could only take a person so far. As he put it, "The point of seeing through some things is to see something through it. To see through everything is the same as to see nothing at all." I take his point.

I think that skepticism practiced rationally is wonderful. In fact, skepticism has served me very well. But I have also discovered that the kind of unremitting skepticism that leaves one permanently without anything to believe in anymore is existentially debilitating and sterile. It's creates a vacuum in the soul.

I would say that the best reason for remaining skeptical is so that one's mind will be open to recognize the truth when it comes.
Also, I find so many theistic ideas and notions to be irrational, retrograde and sometimes pointlessly cruel.
Christian "notions"? Or Jewish, Islamic, polytheist, Hindu...because they're definitely not the same. In fact, modern ethicists and students of world religions generally speak today of "incommensurability" between the various world traditions in regard to values. So they don't all represent the same thing -- not even close. Some represent the dead opposite of the others... which is what "incommensurable" implies: that there is no unity, and no "all-can-win" position among those diverse belief systems.

Whose values are they that offend you? What are the sticking points, for you?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote:
thedoc wrote: For example, these are the Atheist commandments:
No gods. ...
Not so, there well may be 'God's' I just don't believe in the evidence so far.
Then you are an agnostic, you must really get a good understanding of the definitions, you can't just claim to be whatever you like.
Skip

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote:
Then you are an agnostic, you must really get a good understanding of the definitions, you can't just claim to be whatever you like.
Pay Attention, Arising_uk.
Making shit up and reiterating it ad nauseum, with absolute confidence and zero proof, is their prerogative.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote: zero proof.
That is where you are wrong, it's just that you will not acknowledge that proof, you claim that it doesn't exist because you refuse to see it.
Skip

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote:
That is where you are wrong, it's just that you will not acknowledge that proof, you claim that it doesn't exist because you refuse to see it.
Oh, of course, the Gospel According to Emmanuel Can. How can I doubt its veracity? How? How?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Oh, of course, the Gospel According to Emmanuel Can. How can I doubt its veracity? How? How?
That is where you are wrong, IC is just a small part of the proof, the real proof is all around you, but you are blind to it.
Skip

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote: That is where you are wrong, IC is just a small part of the proof, .
In fact, I was not referring to people who believe in god(s), because most of them are perfectly normal, functional, decent human being who don't make a song and dance out of their spiritual beliefs. I was specifically referring to this anti-atheist-crusade-in-a-teacup being carried on by you and your -
- in fact, I don't know what that pretentious word-factory is to you, or why you think he's a fount worth drinking at, since you mostly seem like a functional human being.
Usually, I just razz you guys for cheap laughs, or because you piss me off, but for once, I'm asking seriously:
Why do you do this?
What do you hope to accomplish? Convert atheists by attacking them? Make them look bad to uncommitted people, who will therefore start believing and get born again? Score brownie points with the Big Guy? Do you think any of it will work?
the real proof is all around you, but you are blind to it.
The real proof of what?
That you hate me? No surprise.
Why you hate me? I'm guessing, fear - largely unfounded, as I pose no threat to the hegemony of religion.
That some kind of supernatural pooh-bah is running the show? It's not your job to convince me - and if it were, you suck at it.
If he's out there and wants to tell me something, he knows my email address.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Immanuel Can wrote:
I could never submit to a tradition so completely.
Well, it's not a "tradition." At least, it isn't to me. I would say that a "tradition" is what you get from other people. A conviction is what you get from seeking truth yourself, I would say.
I don't believe in much but one thing I do believe in is relativity in all things, including morality. What is good for one is not necessarily good for another. Even with foods, some perfectly healthy foods can kill, eg. peanuts. As it is in all things. So I cannot abide by any all-encompassing script. While animals/humans share many commonalities, we all ultimately have different wants and needs.

The way we resolve the conflicts of interest is utilitarianism, simply aiming for the greatest good for the greatest number of people. That can be a problem for those with minority interests but you can't please everyone. Today, however, society is restructuring itself along roughly feudal lines - with pockets of wealth becoming ever more dominant.

My view? I prefer more equality, obviously, but it's not the first time in history this dynamic has occurred so I am accepting rather than judging. Growing inequality always becomes unstable over time when a tipping point is reached and the number of people with nothing to lose reaches a certain threshold. At that point there is another restructure.
Immanuel Can wrote:
Flawed as my mind is, I want to remain independent and neutral - to be an observer rather than a promoter.
C.S. Lewis said that neutrality and independence could only take a person so far. As he put it, "The point of seeing through some things is to see something through it. To see through everything is the same as to see nothing at all." I take his point.
Clearly we need to acknowledge the subjective, although even then, stepping back and taking a third person view is considered a time-honoured way of developing clearer perspectives.

Otherwise, there's far too much in reality for me to process so I remain comfortably on the fence. I understand the desire to nail things down - to feel like we have apprehended reality - and can then build on those bluffed certainties. I did it for years but in my recent attempts to be more authentic in retirement, it's been helpful to let go of cherished ideas and be open (as much as my conditioning allows).
Immanuel Can wrote:
Also, I find so many theistic ideas and notions to be irrational, retrograde and sometimes pointlessly cruel.
Christian "notions"? Or Jewish, Islamic, polytheist, Hindu...because they're definitely not the same.
All of them to some extent. Virgin births, resurrections, miracles, flying horses, heaven and hell as actual places, blame for karma ... all metaphorical representations of natural or cultural dynamics.
Immanuel Can wrote:Whose values are they that offend you? What are the sticking points, for you?
A few for starters: Treatment of women as less capable beings and creation of hard barriers in some cultures and subcultures.

Discrimination against queer people, which is such an arbitrary thing to attack - why not judge dwarfs, people with harelips and schizophrenics?

Fundamentalist creationism that distracts people from the beauty and wonder of evolution. For me, Sagan and Neil DG Tyson's Cosmos series was a spiritual experience and, as you noted, if one finds something that makes them feel so good, we might want to pass it on to others.

I also have big problems with theistic interference into people's personal decisions regarding childbirth and end-of-life.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:Then you are an agnostic, you must really get a good understanding of the definitions, you can't just claim to be whatever you like.
Not really as all agnostics are atheists as they say that nothing is known or can be known about any 'God'.

I'm an atheist and always have been as my parents told me to make my own mind up when I asked then about this thing called 'God' I encountered at infant school. As such I currently hold no belief that 'God' or 'God's' exist in any of the variations I've been informed about over the years. Now if by some strange chance a burning bush started talking to me or an angel or demon popped by I may well revise my beliefs but have to admit that even then I'd be thinking 'advanced extra-terrestrial'(it was the times) and would still not, hopefully, bend a knee as I'm for Man and not 'God's'.

I think the problem is that you theists meet a lot of ex-theists who appear very upset that they don't believe what they were told anymore and maybe quite literally walk around not-believing for a while, hopefully they get over it but in my case 'God' or 'God's' do not enter into anything let alone my belief system.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Tue May 09, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:There's nothing left, except to say, "Oh well; I guess that's your lifestyle choice." ...
Er! No, it's "You're going to jail my son.".
And you apparently agree: "there's no requirement for an Atheist to be moral," you say. ...
Apart from choosing to live in a more pleasant world that is.

Or maybe it's just because we are a primate designed by evolution to be social, it's inherent.
The only remaining question is, how does any Atheist imagine it's morally "good" to be an Atheist, or morally "wrong" to be a Theist. ...
We don't?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:When you know something is true, it's not hard to find the drive for it. When you genuinely believe it's the only hope for us all, you have a very strong motive for persistence, and when you've been transformed by something, you have a passion for it.

It's no credit to me. Knowing Jesus Christ has made my life so very much better than it could ever otherwise have been. How can I not feel strongly about that? I wish everybody could have that experience. ...
Ah! The penny drops, a born-again christian proselytiser.
Skip

Post by Skip »

They can't do it by fire and sword anymore --- er... at the moment; those good ol' religious days may yet return ---
so they mean to nag you into the faith.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Greta wrote: I don't believe in much but one thing I do believe in is relativity in all things, including morality. What is good for one is not necessarily good for another. Even with foods, some perfectly healthy foods can kill, eg. peanuts. As it is in all things. So I cannot abide by any all-encompassing script. While animals/humans share many commonalities, we all ultimately have different wants and needs.
That may seem to make sense when one is only considering one's own situation and needs. But take it to the social scale, and it's less satisfactory.

It's easy to be overly-impressed with the divergence among people's moral views and their range of choice-making. But we can lose focus on the commonalities...which are substantial. The goal of ethics is to articulate the core that all human beings ought to be reasonably committed to, and to provide guidelines for situational particulars. This is not too ambitious a task to do if objective morality exists.

And if it does not, then ethics are impossible anyway. What use is an ethic when one is the only human being alive who believes in it? :shock:
The way we resolve the conflicts of interest is utilitarianism, simply aiming for the greatest good for the greatest number of people. That can be a problem for those with minority interests but you can't please everyone. Today, however, society is restructuring itself along roughly feudal lines - with pockets of wealth becoming ever more dominant.
As you point out, utilitarian steamrollers the minorities. Some of us think that's immoral. But more importantly, we don't all agree on what is "the greatest good." Do we really want the conception of the good held by the majority in a particular locale and time to be forced upon everyone? If so, Nazi Germany would have been right to be Nazi.

I don't think society is going back to feudalism...not if we understand that term literally. More likely, global dictatorships (hello, EU), angry cultural factions (hello, Islam) and monolithic governments are going to become the rule, along with very powerful multinational companies (hello, Monsanto). That's the direction we're travelling right now.
Immanuel Can wrote:
Clearly we need to acknowledge the subjective, although even then, stepping back and taking a third person view is considered a time-honoured way of developing clearer perspectives. [/quote]
Yes. But again, the point of getting new perspectives is to see something. If doing so just reveals another thing we "see through," then we are functionally blind.
Immanuel Can wrote:Whose values are they that offend you? What are the sticking points, for you?
A few for starters: Treatment of women as less capable beings and creation of hard barriers in some cultures and subcultures. [/quote]
Well, I can't speak for all traditions, but women's rights would never have come around except in the Christian West. In fact, that's where they DID appear. Did you ever wonder if there was a rational link? There were more human beings in India and China, and very, very smart ones -- why did they develop no conception of women's rights? I suggest it had something to do with their ideology, not their intelligence.
Fundamentalist creationism that distracts people from the beauty and wonder of evolution. For me, Sagan and Neil DG Tyson's Cosmos series was a spiritual experience and, as you noted, if one finds something that makes them feel so good, we might want to pass it on to others.
I saw Sagan's offering. But I have to admit that I found it rationally incoherent. For one thing, he says that even though we're all stampeding toward impending death and ultimate cosmic heat death, this somehow makes "life mean more." I never could understand that point: it seems to me as though his cosmos makes us infinitely unimportant. But he doesn't explain in the film, really.
I also have big problems with theistic interference into people's personal decisions regarding childbirth and end-of-life.
Actually, Christianity is highly respectful of right-to-life, both at the beginning and at the end.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:...

It's easy to be overly-impressed with the divergence among people's moral views and their range of choice-making. But we can lose focus on the commonalities...which are substantial. The goal of ethics is to articulate the core that all human beings ought to be reasonably committed to, and to provide guidelines for situational particulars. This is not too ambitious a task to do if objective morality exists.

And if it does not, then ethics are impossible anyway. What use is an ethic when one is the only human being alive who believes in it? :shock: ...
But of course if these substantial commonalities exist then it would not be impossible even if no objective morality exists as we can do it on inter-subjectivity, reason and agreement.
I don't think society is going back to feudalism...not if we understand that term literally. More likely, global dictatorships (hello, EU), angry cultural factions (hello, Islam) and monolithic governments are going to become the rule, along with very powerful multinational companies (hello, Monsanto). That's the direction we're travelling right now. ...
The EU is not a dictatorship and it's very naughty of you to say so.

If anything it looks to be going back to church/religion supported oligarchies in many nations.