Bill O'Reilly"s downfall

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Bill O'Reilly"s downfall

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:... And his hatred of Jewish and Christian morality, ....
And yet the Christian Church co-existed quite happily with Nazism and across conquered Europe moral Christians quite happily turned in the Jew to be exterminated.
And Nietzsche is forever the progenitor of Nazism; like Lady Macbeth, he can never get that blood off his hands.

And that should warn us to be careful what we advocate.
:lol: Of course this means that Jesus Christ can never get the blood off his hands for all the atrocities committed under his name. In fact he's worse as it was in his name whereas no-one killed under the name of Nietzscheanism, at least not yet.
Skip

Post by Skip »

It's such a relief to dispense with current events and get back on the merry-go-round of
which long-dead dictators were influenced by which even-longer-dead philosophers.
That topic just never gets old!
thedoc

Re: Mr Can is talking nonsense again.

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote:
thedoc wrote: I'm sure I must have interpreted IC posts in ways he didn't expect.
In that case, would it be reasonable to find among his writings any specific repudiations of your interpretation?
There have only been a few, far too few for me to find them now. I really don't remember where they are, and just because I interpret his post differently than he intended, does not mean he disagreed with me. I might have pointed out a detail that he didn't think of.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Skip wrote:It's such a relief to dispense with current events and get back on the merry-go-round of
which long-dead dictators were influenced by which even-longer-dead philosophers.
And yet...NO QUOTATION. :D

I'm still waiting...
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Will this do?

“The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

It wasn't suicide, but I had a similar experience while attending college. I was feeling trapped and looked into transferring to another school, after I found that I could and could transfer almost all my credits that I had earned, I had a feeling of relief and freedom, and it was then easier to continue where I was.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:Will this do?

“The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

It wasn't suicide, but I had a similar experience while attending college. I was feeling trapped and looked into transferring to another school, after I found that I could and could transfer almost all my credits that I had earned, I had a feeling of relief and freedom, and it was then easier to continue where I was.
Well, if we're switching the topic, I like this one:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... bc5f9f.jpg

--- by Sort-Of-Nietzsche. :wink:
Skip

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote:There have only been a few, far too few for me to find them now.
Narrow the search to the repudiations he posted before your interpretation, before he ever knew of your existence.
That's what's being asked of Nietzsche.
Last edited by Skip on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Skip wrote:It's such a relief to dispense with current events and get back on the merry-go-round of
And yet...NO QUOTATION. :D
I'm still waiting...
I don't recall owing or promising you any, but I'm in a generous mood.
Literature is the one place in any society where, within the secrecy of our own heads, we can hear voices talking about everything in every possible way. -- Salman Rushdie 1990
It's not easy, bein' green --- Kermit the Frog
It is time to be old,
To take in sail.
-- RW Emerson
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Skip wrote: That's what's being asked of Nietzsche.
Actually, I ask nothing of Nietzsche. He's dead. :D

But I do ask something of the person who tries to convince us Nietzsche's theories cannot be actualized by a Hitler.

What I ask is evidence...

Quotation, please.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Actually, I ask nothing of Nietzsche.
I would ask him to do something with that moustache of his. Seriously, Immanuel, if you were an aspiring despot (and I'm not saying you aren't) would you associate yourself with a man of such questionable judgement? Just look at Hitlers moustache, it couldn't be more different. If he were really so influenced by Nietzsche, do you not imagine that influence would manifest itself in his choice of facial hair style? While it cannot be argued that Hitler's moustache is any less ridiculous than Nietzsche's, it is ridiculous in an entirely different way. Come now, let's be sensible.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Immanuel Can wrote: Actually, I ask nothing of Nietzsche. He's dead. :D
And was so, before he could possibly have known of Hitler's aspirations.
And I have been endeavouring - in vain, but with thedoc's readily volunteered opacity
- to point out the absurdity of expecting anyone to find in Nietzsche's writings any specific disclaimer,
disapprobation, contradiction or rejection of Hitler's aspirations, and the even greater absurdity of
expecting to find a quote that you would consider acceptable as repudiation of any possible Hitlerian interpretation.

Such absurdity, especially reiterated with the insistence of a thwarted toddler, is mildly amusing;
my actual interest in both Nietzsche and the altered subject of this thread is sub-zero.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote:Quote Nietzsche.
...as follows:
Nietzsche heavily criticized his sister and her husband, Bernhard Förster, speaking harshly against the "anti-Semitic canaille:"

"I've seen proof, black on white, that Herr Dr. Förster has not yet severed his connection with the anti-Semitic movement...Since then I've had difficulty coming up with any of the tenderness and protectiveness I've so long felt toward you. The separation between us is thereby decided in really the most absurd way. Have you grasped nothing of the reason why I am in the world?...Now it has gone so far that I have to defend myself hand and foot against people who confuse me with these anti-Semitic canaille; after my own sister, my former sister, and after Widemann more recently have given the impetus to this most dire of all confusions. After I read the name Zarathustra in the anti-Semitic Correspondence my forbearance came to an end. I am now in a position of emergency defense against your spouse's Party. These accursed anti-Semite deformities shall not sully my ideal!!"
From a December, 1887 letter to Nietzsche's sister, who married an anti-Semite leader, Bernhard Foster

One of the greatest stupidities you have committed - for yourself and for me! Your association with an anti-Semitic chief expresses a foreignness to my whole way of life which fills me ever again with ire or melancholy. ... It is a matter of honor to me to be absolutely clean and unequivocal regarding anti-Semitism, namely opposed, as I am in my writings. I have been persecuted in recent times with letters and Anti-Semitic Correspondence sheets; my disgust with this party (which would like all too well the advantage of my name!) is as outspoken as possible, but the relation to Forster, as well as the after-effect of my former anti-Semitic publisher Schmeitzner, always brings the adherents of this disagreeable party back to the idea that I must after all belong to them. . . . Above all it arouses mistrust against my character, as if I publicly condemned something which I favored secretly - and that I am unable to do anything against it, that in every Anti-Semitic Correspondence sheet the name Zarathustra is used, has already made me almost sick several times.
from Nietzsche's Will to Power (trans. W. Kaufmann), s. 864

Esprit: quality of late races: Jews, Frenchmen, Chinese. (The anti-Semites do not forgive the Jews for possessing "spirit" - and money. Anti-Semites - another name for the "underprivileged.")

from Nietzsche's Nietzsche Contra Wagner

...since Wagner had moved to Germany, he had condescended step by step to everything I despise - even to anti-Semitism.

In a quick note to his friend Overbeck, right before Nietzsche's insanity

"Just now I am having all anti-Semites shot."

...and a few other little asides...

Beyond Good and Evil
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote:
In the Jewish ‘Old Testament,’ the book of divine
justice, there are men, things, and sayings on such an
immense scale, that Greek and Indian literature has
nothing to compare with it. One stands with fear and
reverence before those stupendous remains of what man
was formerly, and one has sad thoughts about old Asia and
its little out-pushed peninsula Europe, which would like,
by all means, to figure before Asia as the ‘Progress of
Mankind.’

Quote:
We ‘good Europeans,’ we also have hours when
we allow ourselves a warm-hearted patriotism, a plunge
and relapse into old loves and narrow views—I have just
given an example of it— hours of national excitement, of
patriotic anguish, and all other sorts of old-fashioned
floods of sentiment. Duller spirits may perhaps only get
done with what confines its operations in us to hours and
plays itself out in hours—in a considerable time: some in
half a year, others in half a lifetime, according to the speed
and strength with which they digest and ‘change their
material.’ Indeed, I could think of sluggish, hesitating
races, which even in our rapidly moving Europe, would
require half a century ere they could surmount such
atavistic attacks of patriotism and soil-attachment, and
return once more to reason, that is to say, to ‘good
Europeanism.

Quote:
The masterpiece of German prose is therefore with good
reason the masterpiece of its greatest preacher: the BIBLE
has hitherto been the best German book. Compared with
Luther’s Bible, almost everything else is merely
‘literature’—something which has not grown in Germany,
and therefore has not taken and does not take root in
German hearts, as the Bible has done.

Quote:
What Europe owes to the Jews?—Many things,
good and bad, and above all one thing of the nature both
of the best and the worst: the grand style in morality, the
fearfulness and majesty of infinite demands, of infinite
significations, the whole Romanticism and sublimity of
moral questionableness—and consequently just the most
attractive, ensnaring, and exquisite element in those
iridescences and allurements to life, in the aftersheen of
which the sky of our European culture, its evening sky,
now glows—perhaps glows out. For this, we artists among
the spectators and philosophers, are—grateful to the Jews.

There's more but enough for now; it goes to show the massive level of distortion required to make Nietzsche into a proto-nazi which you so vehemently insist upon and no doubt will continue doing so.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Dubious wrote:...since you insist it must be so!
The opposite. It is so, so I insist upon it.
...very true!...but not without insisting that it must be so!. In essence, both statements overlap forcing the same conclusion. If you claim categorically it is so you must be prepared to "prove it" - your usual response to any assertions made by others excluding yourself.

The theistic-minded have always incorporated the Divine Right to preempt human logic. Consider it your right to do so again! :lol:
uwot

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote:But I do ask something of the person who tries to convince us Nietzsche's theories cannot be actualized by a Hitler.

What I ask is evidence...

Quotation, please.
No Mr Can, that isn't how it works. It is you that is claiming that Nietzsche is responsible for Hitler. That is a claim that requires evidence, it you want to be taken seriously.
You can make any claim you like: Elvis isn't dead. Jesus walked on water. Nietzsche wrote the lyrics to all the Beatles songs in a secret code that only Scousers can decipher. It is not for the people who doubt the claims to prove them wrong. Like I said, that is how children and idiots argue.
Skip

Post by Skip »

uwot wrote: Nietzsche wrote the lyrics to all the Beatles songs in a secret code that only Scousers can decipher.
Hah! Quote me a quote that proves it wasn't Ben Jonson.
Quote it now! You can't. So you're wrong. Wrong, wrong! Quoteitquoteitquoteit! I'm still waaaaiiiiting!....