Bill O'Reilly"s downfall

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: Bill O'Reilly"s downfall

Post by Skip »

Immanuel Can wrote: I'm still curious about whether we can call Caligula the product of "mascularchy."
I just did. He was raised in the triumphant Roman army.
But where was this "culture" that is actually culpable?
I didn't say it was "culpable" and I haven't "blamed" it for anything.
You're the one keeps harping on blame:
Blaming never has changed a social order. Only bankruptcy does that.
But unless there was a "culture" of some kind around Bill Clinton,
Obviously, there was. The same one that produced Thomas Jefferson, Joseph Smith and David Berkible.
I have to worry that the "culture of abuse" explanation is actually too morally weak to change anything.
It's not meant to be moral or to change anything. It's simply a description of prevailing social realities.
The situation is far more likely to deteriorate under the present political trends than to improve.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

thedoc wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:If those women would have stayed home barefoot and pregnant none of this would ever have happened.
In your opinion, is that the proper place for a woman?
Does my opinion count?

I'm a liberal and a woman. Trump is president...I've decided that it's high time I act in the same manner as the crazy world I live in and see if anyone disagrees with me.

Logic and reason hasn't worked...so maybe aping what I see around me might....lol.
Skip

Post by Skip »

artisticsolution wrote: Logic and reason hasn't worked...so maybe aping what I see around me might....lol.
It worked for Margaret Thatcher and Golda Meir ....
but I liked you more in your last incarnation.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Immanuel Can wrote:[BTW "Culture of Abuse" is a long standing phrase...]
It's not "long-standing" at all. It's just a postmodern, Leftist jargon phrase. Nobody even knows what it really means...least of all Leftists. You won't find the great philosophers of the past using such a phrase, at least not before the (post-)modern Left.
Misattributed quote, but never mind. I don't find the great philosophers of the past using phrases like 'cruise control', 'radio telescope' 'dental floss' or chemotherapy' - but that doesn't make the things unreal. Some of the phrases old philosophers did use can't bear close scrutiny for reality-content.
And some of them were lefties!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote:
thedoc wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:If those women would have stayed home barefoot and pregnant none of this would ever have happened.
Does my opinion count?

I'm a liberal and a woman. Trump is president...I've decided that it's high time I act in the same manner as the crazy world I live in and see if anyone disagrees with me.

Logic and reason hasn't worked...so maybe aping what I see around me might....lol.
Obviously your opinion counts for you, but only you can decide to fit in with the culture around you. I learned the hard way that it's better to just keep your mouth shut and do your work, As my daughter says, I don't play well with others. Now when I hear or read something that I know is wrong, I just keep quiet and avoid an argument. I do have a son and 2 daughters, and I have never tried to argue any of them out of doing what they have chosen to do. I learned that from my parents, they tried to direct what I should do in life, so I am doing the opposite with my own children and grandchildren, and it's working out very well, they are all happy with their own choices. BTW, my parents weren't thinking of their children's happiness, only their own bragging rights, they would claim that how good we turned out, proves how good they were as parents. I didn't tell them half of what went wrong in my life.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Does my opinion count?

As far as Trump being president, what has he done in office that you don't like, not what his critics claim his actions will lead to, not the allegations made before the election and inauguration, but only his actions in office as president?
Walker

Post by Walker »

artisticsolution wrote:Does my opinion count?

Does this mean you’re signing-up with the thugs in Berkeley?
Skip

Post by Skip »

Oh, surely we're not recreating the Trump thread, yet again?!

If anybody wanted to know how cultures of abuse keep thriving, here it is:
thedoc -- Now when I hear or read something that I know is wrong, I just keep quiet and avoid an argument.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Does my opinion count?

As far as Trump being president, what has he done in office that you don't like, not what his critics claim his actions will lead to, not the allegations made before the election and inauguration, but only his actions in office as president?
I don't like the Bush Era/ billionaire choices he has made regarding his administration, I don't like his destruction of the epa, I don't like his proposed plan to cut taxes of the ultra wealthy at the expense of middle class americans, I don't like the wall, I don't like the deportation of illegal immigrants, I don't like him trying to ban people based on religion, I don't like his use of nepotism in the white house, etc. Basically, there is not much I liked, but more important than all of that is the fact that since he has been in office Americans have followed the 'tone' of this man's paranoia and false bravado. Instead of the stoic "no drama Obama" we have a adolescent mindset in the white house, who's main goal of foreign affairs is to 'poke the bear', Stir the shit and basically run the white house like an episode of "the real housewives of Mara Lago".

Suffice to say there is not much I like....

The only thing I liked was in the beginning, when he said "no: to boeing (after they wanted to charge the government billions for an airplane) He said, "We want them to make money, just not THAT much money." Too bad he only singled out boeing instead of including all corporations, including the pharmaceutical companies, exxon, his own companies etc." Keeping cost down is imperative to our survival. Healthcare would be affordable if we put a cap on what corporations profits. Every year they want to increase their profit margin but american wages stay stagnant...you do the math...there is no amount of trying to fix healthcare without addressing this problem. The math simply does not work.

He is irrational, unfair, mean, sexist, and I hate that we reward people for behaving in such a manner with the highest office in the land. I used to think it was bad rewarding them with lots of money and TV shows...but now we've taken it to a whole other level.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Skip wrote: It's not meant to be moral or to change anything. It's simply a description of prevailing social realities.
The situation is far more likely to deteriorate under the present political trends than to improve.
So...wait a minute.

You're saying that criticizing the "culture of abuse" isn't supposed to be a "moral" assessment, or to "change anything"? :shock: You're saying it's a "prevailing social reality," but isn't really bad and isn't capable of change? :shock: And you're saying it's a "reality," but can't (or choose not to) name a single current example in reality? :shock:

But then you say, "the situation is...likely to deteriorate." But "deteriorate" is a pejorative, moralizing word: it means, "get worse." And you call it a "situation," -- but not one worthy of remark, apparently, as you insist it is not a "moral" problem but merely a "description" of how things are, of "prevailing social realities"? :shock:

I confess that the mix of moralizing and anti-moralizing language here is incomprehensible to me. How can a "culture of abuse" be "abusive," if you aren't willing to specify what "right use," or "non-abuse" entails, and if you refuse to pass moral judgment on the "situation," though it is said to be "deteriorating"? :shock: And how can it be a "prevailing social reality" for which you can find not one specific current example? :shock:
artisticsolution

Walker wrote:

LOL don't complaim about liberal thugs when you created them. Did you really think liberals would stay tree hugging peace and love forever? You created the nightmare you live in....tit for tat and all that.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"I just keep quiet and avoid an argument."

A wise policy cuz, most of the time, it ain't your business to begin with, and, nuthin' you say or do is liable to make a difference anyway.

Tend to your own garden and leave the other to tend to his.

But...

When the other decides your garden is his business, go to town on his ass.

Teach him (or remind him) his garden is 'over there'.

#

"He is irrational, unfair, mean, sexist"

Which means he's still a damned sight better than Clinton and cronies.

She and hers: buttinskies.
artisticsolution

Re:

henry quirk wrote:"I just keep quiet and avoid an argument."

A wise policy cuz, most of the time, it ain't your business to begin with, and, nuthin' you say or do is liable to make a difference anyway.

Tend to your own garden and leave the other to tend to his.

But...

When the other decides your garden is his business, go to town on his ass.

Teach him (or remind him) his garden is 'over there'.

#

"He is irrational, unfair, mean, sexist"

Which means he's still a damned sight better than Clinton and cronies.

She and hers: buttinskies.
Yeah, okay...tell yourself and your children that as the nukes rain down upon your garden.

We don't live in a world where you can "teach" anyone a lesson. Everyone has nukes pointed at everyone else.

The end.

No lesson to learn when you are dead.

But please...by all means...keep 'poking the bear' :roll:
Walker

Post by Walker »

artisticsolution wrote:
Walker wrote:

LOL don't complaim about liberal thugs when you created them. Did you really think liberals would stay tree hugging peace and love forever? You created the nightmare you live in....tit for tat and all that.
I did no such thing and I don't live or sleep in nightmares.

You create a world of delusion and expect others to step into it.

Berkeley thugs are real.
This is not a new concept.
The mayor of Berkeley signed up with BAMN.

Perhaps they will call themselves ... freedom fighters. That sounds romantic and noble.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The second most popular Fox facilitator of Trump has also now been accused of sexual misconduct.

Folks may have missed the first printing.
Here's the second printing, in a headline font.
Harder to miss.

The principle behind this ongoing process is:

When Trump was a chump
Some folks gave him a big audience
And a big voice.
Get them out
By any means necessary
Before they do it again.