Trump has tweeted he's resigning as President to take effect at the end of April

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Trump has tweeted he's resigning as President to take effect at the end of April

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

FlashDangerpants wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Not liking what someone says or how they say it doesn't alter the accuracy of what they say. I've never claimed to be an expert on American constitutional law and Presidential powers, but I still manage to be more accurate than that know-all. I don't recall ever interacting with you, and I certainly don't recall you ever disproving my accuracy on anything.
I stepped into that little flame war because I am heedless of Danger! I was really just pointing out that you have your style and it probably can take people by surprise. And that the truth of the matter at hand seemed to be about half way between the pair of you. I'm fairly certain you've called me PC and neoliberal and stuff, but I'm not going to put up a big fight for accusations which are largely true. Although you did accidentally call me an American once, which hurt me very deeply in the butt :(
I don't see where I was wrong on that 'argument'. As you pointed out, it's very easy to look up although what became clear when doing that is that the answer is not very clear or black-and-white at all, and US Presidents have a habit of ignoring rules. It's also painfully obvious that you can attack and destroy a country without the formality of bothering to declare war on it. Besides, that would look silly and cowardly when it's a military giant attacking an essentially defenceless country. Much easier just to pretend it's about 'liberating and helping' its people.
Btw, I would never call anyone PC and 'neoliberal'. Neither of those is liberal, but they are still polar opposites.
FlashDangerpants

Re: Trump has tweeted he's resigning as President to take effect at the end of April

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Well the thing about big wars like the Iraq invasion is that they are very expensive and require a huge build up. Some stuff like bombing Laos was do-able because there was a bigger war on next door, so some bombers could be sent on an iffy flight plan. Grenada was do-able because the US could invade using spare soldiers in the neighbourhood and get the job done with a few hours of shooty.

But the build up to the Iraq invasion involved moving huge armies around, and dropping thousands of expensive bombs and all sorts of other expensive stuff. Things of the sort you describe had therefore happened many times, but that specific thing couldn't because along with the authority to go to war, the president also needed congress to expand the DOD budget by billions of dollars he wasn't entitled to allocate himself just to get the ball rolling.

That's roughly how their constitution works. The president guy is in charge of all the day to day stuff, congress makes the laws and sets his budgets. If he wants to do something truly expensive, he has to ask for an increase in his pocket money.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

FlashDangerpants wrote:I stepped into that little flame war because I am heedless of Danger! I was really just pointing out that you have your style and it probably can people by surprise. And that the truth of the matter at hand seemed to be about half way between the pair of you. I'm fairly certain you've called me PC and neoliberal and stuff, but I'm not going to put up a big fight for accusations which are largely true. Although you did accidentally call me an American once, which hurt me very deeply in the butt :(
Well, I liked what you had to say. It was calm, rational and made me think twice. It's funny, sometimes alarming, to see the conclusions people jump to, based one thing you might say here. Pointy sticks and hot pokers come out and you are branded. Few seem to actually ask questions... or discuss.

So what nationality are you?

:wink:
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
And guess what? We're done.
I was done with the argument, missus I wasn't going to discuss that further with somebody who couldn't get her rationale out from under the rug of her vile, bitchy temperament.

Quite happy to justify myself though, even if to suggest you may not be worth discussing much with you again...

Oops... :D