Did you enjoy watching the Benny Hill Show?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Did you enjoy watching the Benny Hill Show?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:... There wasn't much evidence of kindness when a PC collective drove Richard Dawkins to a stroke ...
:lol: You've got to be joking right?
No. This is what I mean. You don't like him, so you automatically say it can't be true. I could hate the man. Doesn't alter anything. As usual, you miss the point. Poor dear. :roll:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I see your new little buddy has your back again. Lucky you. He's so intelligent and insightful. Birds of a feather... :wink:
And haven't I said over and over that the PC are hypocrites? So no 'prejudiced delusions' on my part dear.
The more you rant the more stupid you look.
Who to? Does it really seem to you like I care about others' opinions of me on here?
Just saying.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:No. This is what I mean. ...
Really!? You don't think it due to him being a 76 year-old man with heart and blood pressure problems.
You don't like him, so you automatically say it can't be true. ...
Firstly, in general I don't bother with liking and disliking people I don't know as it appears a waste of effort and time and secondly, I have most of his books about biology and evolution upon my shelves and have read them something I doubt you can say.
I could hate the man. Doesn't alter anything. As usual, you miss the point. Poor dear. :roll:
You hate so many people and I think it colours pretty much everything you say. My point is that having a stroke is pretty much a common occurrence for 76-year old men nowadays, that you use it for your pet hate is no surprise.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: There wasn't much evidence of kindness when a PC collective drove Richard Dawkins to a stroke for making some unPC (but true) comment that offended PC 'feminist' sensibilities.
I wonder what kind of vehicle they used that would indicate a lack of kindness. I would think it was very kind of them to get him there in time for the stroke.
vegetariantaxidermy

Haha. What a surprise. Click notifications and the three Stooges appear in a neat row. :|
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Could be worse, I used to watch them years ago.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:No. This is what I mean. ...
Really!? You don't think it due to him being a 76 year-old man with heart and blood pressure problems.
You don't like him, so you automatically say it can't be true. ...
Firstly, in general I don't bother with liking and disliking people I don't know as it appears a waste of effort and time and secondly, I have most of his books about biology and evolution upon my shelves and have read them something I doubt you can say.
I could hate the man. Doesn't alter anything. As usual, you miss the point. Poor dear. :roll:
You hate so many people and I think it colours pretty much everything you say. My point is that having a stroke is pretty much a common occurrence for 76-year old men nowadays, that you use it for your pet hate is no surprise.
What does having read his books have to do with anything? How would you know what I've read? I could have sworn you had expressed a dislike for him at some point. Now I think about it, mild dislike is probably far too passionate an emotion for you. As for the stroke, it's not exactly something I pulled out of my arse. Of course something like that can't be proven without a doubt, one way or another, not many things can, but you can certainly have plenty of circumstantial evidence. Constant stress is known to cause all kinds of medical problems--including high blood pressure, heart problems and strokes. It's Dawkins' body. People often have an awareness of what goes on with their own bodies. Their doctors as well. Funny that.
The obvious irony is that muslims and christians, whose religions he criticised so outspokenly, were a vision of tolerance compared to the unrelenting, venomous, and deeply personal hate campaign waged by adherents of the religion of fundamentalist political correctness. I'm not aware of muslims or christians waging vicious letter-writing and advertising sabotage campaigns against him (both favourite tactics of PC religiotards). Perhaps they are unaware, or more likely don't care, of the irony and hypocrisy of their strident insistence that everyone else be 'tolerant' (only on their terms, of course), when they are anything but.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What does having read his books have to do with anything? ...
It was to point out that your assumption about me was more than likely wrong.
How would you know what I've read? ...
I don't, it was a doubt and one I think probably holds.
I could have sworn you had expressed a dislike for him at some point. ...
Just your blinkers.
Now I think about it, mild dislike is probably far too passionate an emotion for you. ...
Like I said, I save my passions for the real people in my life.
As for the stroke, it's not exactly something I pulled out of my arse. ...
No, that was the bit about the PC causing it.
Of course something like that can't be proven without a doubt, one way or another, not many things can, but you can certainly have plenty of circumstantial evidence. Constant stress is known to cause all kinds of medical problems--including high blood pressure, heart problems and strokes. It's Dawkins' body. People often have an awareness of what goes on with their own bodies. Their doctors as well. Funny that. ...
Given that by 75 one in six men will have had a stroke I find it not unlikely that Dawkins was one of them. What I do find funny is you tagging it to your peeve.
The obvious irony is that muslims and christians, whose religions he criticised so outspokenly, were a vision of tolerance compared to the unrelenting, venomous, and deeply personal hate campaign waged by adherents of the religion of fundamentalist political correctness. I'm not aware of muslims or christians waging vicious letter-writing and advertising sabotage campaigns against him (both favourite tactics of PC religiotards). Perhaps they are unaware, or more likely don't care, of the irony and hypocrisy of their strident insistence that everyone else be 'tolerant' (only on their terms, of course), when they are anything but.
Since I don't generally follow what you twatterati and social media types get up to I had to google 'Dawkins', 'stroke' and 'feminism' and from the looks of it he got involved in a public twitter/blog-war - more fool him.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that being tolerant means being tolerant of everything but it doesn't. I agree that many make fools of themselves on twatter and social media but there you go, that's what happens when the stupid get a voice. That mobs appear is age-old, all that's new is that they can communicate easier now and with respect to the religious and Dawkins, he's had years of abuse from them, hate-mail, death threats and campaigns to stop him speaking, I'm amazed you weren't aware of this.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:... There wasn't much evidence of kindness when a PC collective drove Richard Dawkins to a stroke ...
:lol: You've got to be joking right?
PC is the New terrorists where Veg-brain is concerned. She thinks PC is destroying the world and is out to get people.

Her assertion that Dawkins got a stroke because of some feminist plot is a fantasy of her own imagination.
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greta wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I wasn't directing my comment to you Greta, so I wonder who's 'paranoid'.
Sure I'm paranoid, but my paranoia does not result in endless complaints and exaggerated attributions to something called "PC". What of Conservative and Patriotic Correctness? Defence political correctness? Climate change dare not even be mentioned on the US environment department's website. Plenty to complain about if one is so inclined.

I see it all as a lot of whingeing and moaning from either side, all designed to chip away at some loathed others' credibility.

This is seemingly how it must be. Human beings must carry on like utter fuckwits until they are so beaten down, punch-drunk and exhausted from their fuckwittery that they have no choice but to be vaguely civil for a while. Somehow, out of all that maelstrom, we end up progressing enormously. Then the process repeats.
Whatever that means. It's not my fault the concept of PC is too difficult for most people to grasp. Climate change has nothing to do with political correctness, but it could, depending on how much pressure was put on whichever side is unfashionable at any given time to be silent, or even to think differently from whatever is deemed to be 'correct' thinking (although it's unlikely, since climate change is about facts rather than fashionable mob-think). Benny Hill was incredibly unPC at one time, around the 80s. Now he has acquired a trendy kitch cult following and it's no longer fashionable to vilify and ridicule him. The PC have new targets and pet causes-- constantly being updated. They are too busy thinking of new women's awards to give Caitlyn Jenner, and new ways to ruin the careers and lives of anyone who disagrees with them.
It's the insincerity that is the Hallmark of PC that is so sickening. Who appointed them everyone's moral watchdogs?
Btw, I can't stand climate change deniers. That doesn't mean I'm going to form a mob that hounds and harasses anyone who disagrees with me into silence (and yes, that happens a lot). PC has nothing to do with 'kindness' either. There wasn't much evidence of kindness when a PC collective drove Richard Dawkins to a stroke for making some unPC (but true) comment that offended PC 'feminist' sensibilities. And they are still at it. They won't be happy until he's dead. PC is basically just mob rule.
This is silly. Phil asked who liked Benny Hill and this has resulted in you going tinfoil crazy over political correctness again. Did you enjoy Benny Hill?

BTW "climate change" are words that one dares not speak in certain circles. PC.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greta wrote: This is silly. Phil asked who liked Benny Hill and this has resulted in you going tinfoil crazy over political correctness again. Did you enjoy Benny Hill?

Apparently "my PC friends" are to blame for the end of Benny Hill, but despite me saying I used to like him, vegebrain thinks I am a PC warrior.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: I'm not sure where you got the idea that being tolerant means being tolerant of everything but it doesn't. I agree that many make fools of themselves on twatter and social media but there you go, that's what happens when the stupid get a voice. That mobs appear is age-old, all that's new is that they can communicate easier now and with respect to the religious and Dawkins, he's had years of abuse from them, hate-mail, death threats and campaigns to stop him speaking, I'm amazed you weren't aware of this.
Of course I'm aware that he's received abuse from religious individuals who can't stand him. That would be something he would expect to happen. What he didn't expect was a determined campaign to destroy him from those who claim to be liberal and supposedly value the same things he does.
I'm not going over the same thing for the umpteenth time. Arguing about it is pointless, and I skip over your sliced-up responses anyway. They are unnecessarily irksome.
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote:
Greta wrote:
Sure I'm paranoid, but my paranoia does not result in endless complaints and exaggerated attributions to something called "PC". What of Conservative and Patriotic Correctness? Defence political correctness? Climate change dare not even be mentioned on the US environment department's website. Plenty to complain about if one is so inclined.

I see it all as a lot of whingeing and moaning from either side, all designed to chip away at some loathed others' credibility.

This is seemingly how it must be. Human beings must carry on like utter fuckwits until they are so beaten down, punch-drunk and exhausted from their fuckwittery that they have no choice but to be vaguely civil for a while. Somehow, out of all that maelstrom, we end up progressing enormously. Then the process repeats.
Whatever that means. It's not my fault the concept of PC is too difficult for most people to grasp. Climate change has nothing to do with political correctness, but it could, depending on how much pressure was put on whichever side is unfashionable at any given time to be silent, or even to think differently from whatever is deemed to be 'correct' thinking (although it's unlikely, since climate change is about facts rather than fashionable mob-think). Benny Hill was incredibly unPC at one time, around the 80s. Now he has acquired a trendy kitch cult following and it's no longer fashionable to vilify and ridicule him. The PC have new targets and pet causes-- constantly being updated. They are too busy thinking of new women's awards to give Caitlyn Jenner, and new ways to ruin the careers and lives of anyone who disagrees with them.
It's the insincerity that is the Hallmark of PC that is so sickening. Who appointed them everyone's moral watchdogs?
Btw, I can't stand climate change deniers. That doesn't mean I'm going to form a mob that hounds and harasses anyone who disagrees with me into silence (and yes, that happens a lot). PC has nothing to do with 'kindness' either. There wasn't much evidence of kindness when a PC collective drove Richard Dawkins to a stroke for making some unPC (but true) comment that offended PC 'feminist' sensibilities. And they are still at it. They won't be happy until he's dead. PC is basically just mob rule.
This is silly. Phil asked who liked Benny Hill and this has resulted in you going tinfoil crazy over political correctness again. Did you enjoy Benny Hill?

''I felt it was a great insult when Benny Hill was seen as sexist and out of date.
I used to watch it with my grandmother for fuck's sake!

Women were often portrayed as the stronger of the two sexes in most of the sketches with men as weak and pathetic, at the mercy of their primal passions.
Obviously the flash of a stocking was gratuitous - a cheap thrill for the males, but I don't think anything could be considered abusive.''

The PC movement doesn't propel social evololution, it follows it. It latches onto whatever worthy social concern is becoming mainstream and acceptable naturally and takes it to the nth degree, bullying and harassing anyone who says anything that the PC consider might be 'offensive' to some group or another. When child abuse was being brought out into the open the PC got on the bandwagon, calling all fathers potential rapists and child-abusers, cajoling children into false accusations. How many innocent men were imprisoned in the eighties when that particular social hysteria occurred?
The real warriors are the ones who stick their necks out to invoke change in the first place. MLK only wanted equal rights and to end segregation. He wasn't about controlling everyone else's words and thoughts. The PC are FANATICS, not to mention cowards. This is why the word 'racist' no longer has any meaning. It's their standard catch-cry, used to intimidate and silence opposition. Apparently they alone are qualified to decide what constitutes 'racism'. It's so broad that it now applies to practically everyone, not least of all them with their patronising assumptions of hurt feelings in others.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Of course I'm aware that he's received abuse from religious individuals who can't stand him. That would be something he would expect to happen. What he didn't expect was a determined campaign to destroy him from those who claim to be liberal and supposedly value the same things he does. ...
What 'campaign' to destroy him? So far all I've seen from goggle is the twatterati, wastebookers and blaggers responding to something he decided to say in the social idiot sphere on someone else's blag. These people are no less individuals than the religious nuts you imply are harmless to him and the liberal left are always falling out. That an institution decided to cancel a talk is the fault of the institution for being weak but I note that when he had his stroke he'd just received news that they'd reinstated the talk and apologised to him.But all this is pretty much immaterial to my point and that is that you are talking bollocks about his heart-condition and the PC being responsible not least because it's the fourth biggest killer over here so it's pretty usual that 65 year-old men have strokes.
I'm not going over the same thing for the umpteenth time. Arguing about it is pointless, and I skip over your sliced-up responses anyway. They are unnecessarily irksome.
If you're going to write discontinuous sentences how should I respond?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Oh yes. My apologies. I forgot about your answer to the thread, as I was distracted by your subsequent soliloquies.

Ok, question answered. Most of us here seemed to like the show, simple-minded as it was.