Did you enjoy watching the Benny Hill Show?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Did you enjoy watching the Benny Hill Show?

Post by Arising_uk »

What are you babbling about? You're the one who turned a thread about Benny Hill into your usual tirade about the 'PC'. I skipped the first time you accused 'them' of contributing to anothers death but then you did it again and it's pretty much bollocks let alone 'reasonable doubt' as strokes for 75 year-olds in the UK are common as muck.

The tautology you create where statistically it's impossible for it not to be the case that if one is not an anti-abortionist one is likely to be in the group that has an abortion. You do this with your "supposedly" which you use to imply that those who are anti-abortion on religious grounds would in reality be in this group and therefore hypocrites but this is pretty much a sneaky slur as in reality they wouldn't.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote:What are you babbling about? You're the one who turned a thread about Benny Hill into your usual tirade about the 'PC'. I skipped the first time you accused 'them' of contributing to anothers death but then you did it again and it's pretty much bollocks let alone 'reasonable doubt' as strokes for 75 year-olds in the UK are common as muck.

The tautology you create where statistically it's impossible for it not to be the case that if one is not an anti-abortionist one is likely to be in the group that has an abortion. You do this with your "supposedly" which you use to imply that those who are anti-abortion on religious grounds would in reality be in this group and therefore hypocrites but this is pretty much a sneaky slur as in reality they wouldn't.
Umm. Let me give you a clue. A religious anti-abortionist is just as likely to find they are carrying a Down's syndrome foetus as a non-religious anti-abortionist. Does that make it any easier for you? And it's hardly a secret that the ones who scream the loudest against abortion are often it's biggest customers when it suits them.
“Most pro-life women oppose abortion with four exceptions: rape, incest, the life of the mother, and me.”
Btw. There's no tautology.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...
Umm. Let me give you a clue. A religious anti-abortionist is just as likely to find they are carrying a Down's syndrome foetus as a non-religious anti-abortionist. Does that make it any easier for you? ...
Well yes but what has that got to do with anything?
And it's hardly a secret that the ones who scream the loudest against abortion are often it's biggest customers when it suits them.
“Most pro-life women oppose abortion with four exceptions: rape, incest, the life of the mother, and me.”
You just make this stuff up don't you.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:...
Umm. Let me give you a clue. A religious anti-abortionist is just as likely to find they are carrying a Down's syndrome foetus as a non-religious anti-abortionist. Does that make it any easier for you? ...
Well yes but what has that got to do with anything?
And it's hardly a secret that the ones who scream the loudest against abortion are often it's biggest customers when it suits them.
You just make this stuff up don't you.
I give up. You are obviously just trying to be annoying. No one could be as stupid as you appear to be.
''An estimated 92 percent of all women who receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancies, according to research reviewed by Dr. Brian Skotko, a pediatric geneticist at Children's Hospital Boston.Nov 2, 2009'' (98 percent in Europe).
''CNN Poll: 58 Percent of Americans Oppose Abortion in All or Most Cases'' I will leave the maths to you.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

[quote="vegetariantaxidermy" And it's hardly a secret that the ones who scream the loudest against abortion are often it's biggest customers when it suits them.[/quote]

And the ones that blather on about SJWs or the PC Brigade are those that are the most rabid an opinionated when it suits them.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
And the ones that blather on about SJWs or the PC Brigade are those that are the most rabid an opinionated when it suits them.
Are you being the word police again? Perhaps you would like to censor me. You could start up a letter writing campaign to have me banned.
I've noticed how quiet the PCSJWs become when anyone confronts their bullshit. They just don't have any arguments apart from 'RACIST' and 'BIGOT'. The SJW dictionary must be very thin. There is just nothing sincere about them.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I give up. You are obviously just trying to be annoying. No one could be as stupid as you appear to be.
''An estimated 92 percent of all women who receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancies, according to research reviewed by Dr. Brian Skotko, a pediatric geneticist at Children's Hospital Boston.Nov 2, 2009'' (98 percent in Europe).
''CNN Poll: 58 Percent of Americans Oppose Abortion in All or Most Cases'' I will leave the maths to you.
See the "Most cases"? This would allow those who oppose abortion to have one in the case of a serious genetic disability and not be a hypocrite.

Also try to understand that 92% of of 0.15% easily allows 58% to oppose abortion in all cases and still not be in the class of those who have an abortion.
Greta

Post by Greta »

The Benny Hill Show and now abortion? Very strange.

Despite Benny's wealth he always lived very simply - an example to the many wealthy people today who ostentatiously blow the Earth's resources on frippery. I admire those who rise above the compulsion to engage in display behaviour. Those games were fun while they lasted but we can't afford to keep buying mountains of pointless stuff just to impress each other.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I give up. You are obviously just trying to be annoying. No one could be as stupid as you appear to be.
See the "Most cases"? This would allow those who oppose abortion to have one in the case of a serious genetic disability and not be a hypocrite.

Also try to understand that 92% of of 0.15% easily allows 58% to oppose abortion in all cases and still not be in the class of those who have an abortion.
Take 300 women, all carrying Down's foetuses. Statistically 174 of them should be anti-abortion. Statistically 174 or more should opt to continue with the pregnancy. In reality between 276 and 294 choose to abort, possibly even 300.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Take 300 women, all carrying Down's foetuses. Statistically 174 of them should be anti-abortion. Statistically 174 or more should opt to continue with the pregnancy. In reality between 276 and 294 choose to abort, possibly even 300.
A fair point but I think the problem here is that you are mixing probabilities and statistics and statistics whilst in the realm of Probability Theory is not quite the same thing(I think). Especially since the percentage you gave for the 58% would have come from polls which are already skewed slightly by the sampling techniques that would have been used. Unless of course you are saying that they interviewed 100% of Americans to get this figure. So the 0.15% of women who are screened and diagnosed can easily not contain any of the 58% in real life and if it is not compulsory in the States then its highly likely that those who choose to get screened do so with exactly the intent to abort if the test is positive which would explain the 92%. There's also the issue that this 92% were localised to one hospital's figures but that could be neither here nor there. On top of that 58% of Americans could just be all the men?(joke as I doubt the polling firm would make such a mistake but you never know with the States)
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Take 300 women, all carrying Down's foetuses. Statistically 174 of them should be anti-abortion. Statistically 174 or more should opt to continue with the pregnancy. In reality between 276 and 294 choose to abort, possibly even 300.
A fair point but I think the problem here is that you are mixing probabilities and statistics and statistics whilst in the realm of Probability Theory is not quite the same thing(I think). Especially since the percentage you gave for the 58% would have come from polls which are already skewed slightly by the sampling techniques that would have been used. Unless of course you are saying that they interviewed 100% of Americans to get this figure. So the 0.15% of women who are screened and diagnosed can easily not contain any of the 58% in real life and if it is not compulsory in the States then its highly likely that those who choose to get screened do so with exactly the intent to abort if the test is positive which would explain the 92%. There's also the issue that this 92% were localised to one hospital's figures but that could be neither here nor there. On top of that 58% of Americans could just be all the men?(joke as I doubt the polling firm would make such a mistake but you never know with the States)
Even if it's not scientifically exact, there's still a lot of hypocrisy there, and I don't even think they could justify it on medical grounds with Down's syndrome (and I'm not saying one way or another whether anyone should or shouldn't. It should be the decision of only the woman concerned, the same as any other abortion).
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote:The Benny Hill Show and now abortion? Very strange.

Despite Benny's wealth he always lived very simply - an example to the many wealthy people today who ostentatiously blow the Earth's resources on frippery. I admire those who rise above the compulsion to engage in display behaviour. Those games were fun while they lasted but we can't afford to keep buying mountains of pointless stuff just to impress each other.
True. People have become very shallow and showy (I wonder where that came from :?: ). Benny Hill never owned a house. Apparently he was a TV addict and was found dead in front of his television. A far cry from the vulgar excesses of today's 'celebrities'.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:

True. People have become very shallow and showy (I wonder where that came from :?: ). Benny Hill never owned a house. Apparently he was a TV addict and was found dead in front of his television. A far cry from the vulgar excesses of today's 'celebrities'.
It's all just competition, animal competition. So many species compete with impractical display behaviours and we are mindlessly following suit. In a sense, that's fine. We're social animals and that's something we do. However, in our current numbers and with our increasing effects on unexplored places, it's not sustainable. We need to wake up and see display behaviours as what they are, to not apportion them with this life-and-death competitive desperation. It won't happen, though, not until the fan is dirty.
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote:

It's all just competition, animal competition. So many species compete with impractical display behaviours and we are mindlessly following suit. In a sense, that's fine. We're social animals and that's something we do. However, in our current numbers and with our increasing effects on unexplored places, it's not sustainable. We need to wake up and see display behaviours as what they are, to not apportion them with this life-and-death competitive desperation. It won't happen, though, not until the fan is dirty.
So we are going backwards. Here it was always frowned upon to ostentatiously show off how much money you have. It was just plain bad manners. No one did it. Of course it's not like that now. I wonder why.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greta wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: True. People have become very shallow and showy (I wonder where that came from :?: ). Benny Hill never owned a house. Apparently he was a TV addict and was found dead in front of his television. A far cry from the vulgar excesses of today's 'celebrities'.
So we are going backwards. Here it was always frowned upon to ostentatiously show off how much money you have. It was just plain bad manners. No one did it. Of course it's not like that now. I wonder why.
As far as I can tell it's largely power. If the ostentatious wealthy were at risk of being seriously inconvenienced by a resentful poor they would tone it down. They feel untouchable.