Advice

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Advice

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

It's my observation that people are more willing to give advice to others that they wouldn't follow themselves. Your impression?

PhilX
thedoc

Re: Advice

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:It's my observation that people are more willing to give advice to others that they wouldn't follow themselves. Your impression?

PhilX
That's not true in my case, I often give advice based on my experience and relate how I would act if the situation ever comes up again. Usually once I've made a mistake and know what the correct way is to proceed, I avoid getting in that situation again. So, no, the advice that I give is what I would do in a particular situation.
ForCruxSake

Re: Advice

Post by ForCruxSake »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:It's my observation that people are more willing to give advice to others that they wouldn't follow themselves. Your impression?

PhilX
I think it bears out that although we know the right thing to do, we don't necessarily have the time or inclination to do it e.g. brushing your teeth. Get kids paying mind to it early enough, you establish a habit of a lifetime. If not the slackness (and blackness) of habit (and teeth) will endure.

If we're talking about the 'tough love' sort of advice: "It's time to kick him/her to the kerb" ; "Just do it!" (-whatever it is that's hard to do)... I agree, often we can dish it out, because we are not experiencing the stress of the situation. However, it might be harder to take, and action, that advice once subject to the same painful circumstances.