Is the UK fully metric or...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Is the UK fully metric or...

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: With regards to school? We have. It's just one year out. Our year 1, is their kindergarten, our year 2 is their grade 1. We are one grade number ahead of them for children of the same age.

If you want to work out the age of a child from the UK year system (and vice versa), it's a difference of 5. A year 7 child, in the first year at secondary school, turns 12, in that year (starting the year, aged 11) and so on.

We have been influenced by the Americans more than you realise, I'm afraid.
And it's always something negative, like 'dumbing' down, butchering the language, and 'maximising the dollar' (a counter-productive and destructive American 'buzz-concept'). Year one is their kindergarten? Kindergarten is where children go before they are old enough for school. Are you saying Americans have even got that wrong? I have a feeling the 'illiterism', 'contraryism' (like the deliberately annoying day/month swap), and anti-intellectualism are all the US' way of giving its big, fat 'middle finger' to the rest of the world. They can't really be that stupid. Who else could come up with the word 'functionable'?? The US produces many of the best teachers in the world. You have to wonder who they are teaching. Something isn't right. Remember Bush and his deliberate 'mispronouncablisms', endearing himself to the American public? 'Heck, he talks like a regular guy. Must be a decent dude'. Btw, you say you have adopted the US system, then go on to describe something completely different. :?
In giving us the "big fat middle finger" they even destroyed the British art of 'pointing the bony index finger of scorn and contempt'. Within two generations, I suspect, all English speaking countries will be speaking 'American' but I will cut off my internet before I ever have to write the words 'color', 'favor', 'flavor','behavior','honor, 'humor', 'labor', 'rumor', 'neighbor', 'splendor' (-present usage excepted).
Me also. Have you noticed how Google and Microsoft are always trying to force American (bad) spelling on everyone? I'm constantly having to reset my computer to something they call English (UK). :roll:
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

ForCruxSake wrote:In giving us the "big fat middle finger" they even destroyed the British art of 'pointing the bony index finger of scorn and contempt'. Within two generations, I suspect, all English speaking countries will be speaking 'American' but I will cut off my internet before I ever have to write the words 'color', 'favor', 'flavor','behavior','honor, 'humor', 'labor', 'rumor', 'neighbor', 'splendor' (-present usage excepted).
Me also. Have you noticed how Google and Microsoft are always trying to force American (bad) spelling on everyone? I'm constantly having to reset my computer to something they call English (UK). :roll:
Funnily enough, as I typed that list of American spellings, my iPad was fighting me, trying to replace them with the UK spellings.... Thank goodness! :)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

ForCruxSake wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:In giving us the "big fat middle finger" they even destroyed the British art of 'pointing the bony index finger of scorn and contempt'. Within two generations, I suspect, all English speaking countries will be speaking 'American' but I will cut off my internet before I ever have to write the words 'color', 'favor', 'flavor','behavior','honor, 'humor', 'labor', 'rumor', 'neighbor', 'splendor' (-present usage excepted).
Funnily enough, as I typed that list of American spellings, my iPad was fighting me, trying to replace them with the UK spellings.... Thank goodness! :)
Just wait till you reset something, or 'clear search history and cookies' :)