Currency anxiety.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Currency anxiety.

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
bobevenson wrote: That goes without saying.
Why don't you go along with it?
I go along with everything, that's why they call me Mr. Congenial.
"They" are the people who don't know you.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:Will brexit mean going back to shillings and pence? I don't think my brain could handle that.
My worry is that Brexit will mean going back to barter and trade. Can you weave your own baskets, grow your own corn???
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Harbal wrote:Will brexit mean going back to shillings and pence? I don't think my brain could handle that.
My worry is that Brexit will mean going back to barter and trade. Can you weave your own baskets, grow your own corn???
What can I get for a truck load of firewood?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Hurrah for Brexit, and hurrah for "Old Blighty," I say. Long may The Green and Sceptred Isle retain her freedom. Even barter is better than servitude.

But I wouldn't say it would come to that. There are plenty of nations in the world who would be honoured to take the gracious hand of Her Majesty's Bailiwick in a future trade deal. All dear Albion needs to do is cast her eyes to the West, the South and the Far East. She still has friends and admirers aplenty.

Dissolution into that horrid monolith "Europe" is not her inevitable destiny...or so those of us who love her may hope. England's too good for that.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Depends on where you are and with whom you are trying to barter. You might get a similarly sized truck load of crates of vino from a forestless, vineyard, in France, which has yet to connect to the electricity grid... Or possibly a small boatload of Edam from the Dutch... Round these parts of London, you're likely to get a load of backchat... :)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:I go along with everything, that's why they call me Mr. Congenial.
Your hearing going as well as your memory, it's "Mr Congenital".
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:... All dear Albion needs to do is cast her eyes to the West, ...
West - that'll be Trumpette land where he's not going to do a trade-deal to America's detriment would it?
the South ...
Last time I checked that was Europe and the trade deal we had with them was no tariffs, we going to get a better one than that?
and the Far East. ...
Pretty much the only thing we had to offer was tariff-free access to the EU, so now what?
Dissolution into that horrid monolith "Europe" is not her inevitable destiny...or so those of us who love her may hope. England's too good for that.
Is the United States a "horrid monolith"?

You mean the UK not England and we've long past the Empire. Currently we make fuck all, financial services is about all we have and most countries are loathe to take such stuff. We're also deep in debt thanks to the banking crisis so this was a really bad time to be raising the Ensign and setting sale into what looks like, if the Trumpette gets his way, a world trade war.

Still, as an old 'Marxist' I'm into 'interesting times' as opportunities arise for radical change and the Tories are going to be well-fucked in a few years when the promises they made are not realised.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
bobevenson wrote: That goes without saying.
Why don't you go along with it?
I go along with everything, that's why they call me Mr. Congenial.
Not quite. Mr. Congenital Brain would be more apt.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote:I go along with everything, that's why they call me Mr. Congenial.
Apparently, Ms. Novak, you'll do anything to work in some version of the word "genitals."
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:
Apparently, Ms. Novak, you'll do anything to work in some version of the word "genitals."
Just bend over and someone will show you how to work in the genitals. :lol:

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:Apparently, Ms. Novak, you'll do anything to work in some version of the word "genitals."
Well you do speak a load of old bollocks.