Name that film in one...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: Name that film in one...

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Skip wrote: (addendum: all three dead guys whom very few living persons remember.)
Any educated person would. 'Remember' is not really the right word. You wouldn't say 'I remember Julius Caesar' (unless someone is a couple of thousand years old and actually encountered him in person.
For the sake of accuracy:

I remember Burton, because I'm old. (Wasn't that impressed by him, btw, and doubt today's audience would be)
I do remember hearing Thomas, but cannot recall what his voice sounded like or how he compared to Burton.
Nobody alive today can remember hearing Cicero, and a few with old-fashioned educations or wide-ranging interests know his reputation, so it was a safe bet that nobody here could contradict me with any real conviction.
I now have an answer to "who gives a damn" about which dead guy was the best orator, but stand by the assumption that it's a small-to-vanishing minority.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote:Because, when you know the truth, the truth will set you free.

Personally, I’m still enslaved to ignorance of Dylan Thomas’ dramatic reading skills.

Is it true that Thomas is a superior orator to Burton?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2cgcx-GJTQ
I can't believe how old he sounds. He died at 39. Burton was an actor. Thomas a poet. You can't really compare them.
Thanks for the link, VT. If that’s a link to Dylan Thomas, I’m still indulging in thinking about the comparison via opinions and inference before actually experiencing the comparison with ears and eyes. I imagine this increasingly rare opportunity compares to judging the ineffable before consciously experiencing the ineffable.

Sounds like for you, Burton sounds more persuasive.

So, just imagine Burton’s voice slowly saying this about himself:

(clears throat)

"Essence exists in any form.
Essence is perceived in any form.
Essence only exists as form.

Thomas discovered the thought-form of essence.
Thomas transformed the thought-form of essence into the word-form of essence.

Burton discovered the word-form of essence from Thomas.
Burton transformed the word-form of essence into the voice-form of essence.

Thomas perceived essence one layer of form closer to the source.

However, more earthly rewards await the voice-form of essence, because the voice-form of essence viscerally touches emotions. People pay moolah to have their emotions viscerally touched, which is less clinical than it sounds.

Social customs were more conservative in Burton’s day, when Burton was rising to fame. When Burton spoke, those who would speak as he spoke vicariously heard their own voice.

Thomas touched a layer of essence closer to the source than Burton, just as saints touch layers closer still than Thomas. That Burton knew this would explain his admiration of poets, and the need for his own writing."

As a balance to Babbitt, Walt Disney opened doors to surreal film experiences that conditioned the culture to eventually pay moolah for this …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-8Kv7NIXrs
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Sounds like for you, Burton sounds more persuasive.
I didn't say anything remotely like that. I just said Thomas sounds much older than his years. He has a remarkable voice. Thomas is reciting his own work. Burton the actor is reciting someone else's work. It's idiotic to compare them as if it's a competition. As for the rest of your pseudo-babble, do you have a master's degree in pretentiousness? And what on earth is that link supposed to mean?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Sounds like for you, Burton sounds more persuasive.
I didn't say anything remotely like that. I just said Thomas sounds much older than his years. He has a remarkable voice. Thomas is reciting his own work. Burton the actor is reciting someone else's work. It's idiotic to compare them as if it's a competition. As for the rest of your pseudo-babble, do you have a master's degree in pretentiousness? And what on earth is that link supposed to mean?
Pretentious?
Harrumph!

So this is where the path of relativism leads … to a cul de sac called inability to make a simple, definitive comparison of better and worse between Burton and Thomas.

Not even within the parameter of oration quality.

This is where the road of relativism leads, but what is the worth?

I do not think this safe attitude of yours would pass muster on the critical thinking front. Over time and repetition, attention habitually lingering on bush-league attempts to distract from a simple arbitrary purpose such as evaluating quality, could irrevocably relegate one’s rank to permanent anchor in the shifting but secure chorus of opinion.

Go on, take a stand and philosophically persuade as if you care. Don't be afraid. You can do it.

Then, when you actually do care, familiarity from mind practice just may prevent rationality from washing away in your flood of emotion. Good practice is to open up some new brain channels with a definitive statement instead of the vague, grey mush of relativism that causes hands to flutter in indecisiveness.

Who’s the better orator. Burton, or Thomas?

Here's a simple method of determination. Who would you pay to hear, if you had to make a choice?
Skip

Post by Skip »

critical thinking = preference
hm
relativism
yeah
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:Who would you pay to hear, if you had to make a choice?
If it was a poetry reading then of course I would want to hear it recited by the person who wrote it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:And what on earth is that link supposed to mean?

The movie The Mask is a fantastical view of reality akin to the Surrealists. However, it is not because them that such a film qualifies as entertainment for enough paying folks to make the effort of making the film financially worthwhile.

It is made so because folks are conditioned to feel entertained by the surreal. Or more generally speaking, by the unreal.

Disney pioneered the industry of producing surreal images on the cinema screen. These images on the cinema screen conditioned generations of minds to a shared state of consciousness.

This shared state of consciousness is to vicariously accept the unreal as real via entertainment. This shared state of consciousness is why the link can even exist as entertainment.

More than the Surrealists, with his early movies Disney shaped the state of consciousness that people are conditioned to accept as the natural way of things. The conditioning of folks to the Disney way of thinking begins at an early age of impressionability.

When they’re a bit older they can advance to JK Rowling.

Haven’t you noticed that because of Disney shaping consciousness, phrases enter into the lexicon. Phrases such as, “Circle of life.”

Who thought that one up?

Going to Disney World is practically a religious pilgrimage. It satisfies the need to in some way touch that which shaped consciousness.

Was not that also your impression of the link?
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:And what on earth is that link supposed to mean?

The movie The Mask is a fantastical view of reality akin to the Surrealists. However, it is not because them that such a film qualifies as entertainment for enough paying folks to make the effort of making the film financially worthwhile.

It is made so because folks are conditioned to feel entertained by the surreal. Or more generally speaking, by the unreal.

Disney pioneered the industry of producing surreal images on the cinema screen. These images on the cinema screen conditioned generations of minds to a shared state of consciousness.

This shared state of consciousness is to vicariously accept the unreal as real via entertainment. This shared state of consciousness is why the link can even exist as entertainment.

More than the Surrealists, with his early movies Disney shaped the state of consciousness that people are conditioned to accept as the natural way of things. The conditioning of folks to the Disney way of thinking begins at an early age of impressionability.

When they’re a bit older they can advance to JK Rowling.

Haven’t you noticed that because of Disney shaping consciousness, phrases enter into the lexicon. Phrases such as, “Circle of life.”

Who thought that one up?

Going to Disney World is practically a religious pilgrimage. It satisfies the need to in some way touch that which shaped consciousness.

Was not that also your impression of the link?
You clearly get a kick our of annoying people. I've never been able to understand that particular fetish.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Glad to help. Simply answering your question.

You may also ask, why effortize via writing in a venue that funnels directly to the Memory Hole? I’ll make a pre-emptive answer before ending your ordeal of annoyance.

The answer to your unasked question of why the purpose of arbitrary, assigned and conditioned effortizing for Personkind, should be obvious in light of Dada.

Consider this: Check to see if the lawnmower has some gas in the tank. Dada is to raise the blade of the lawnmower, fire up the engine, and carefully mow the suburban lawn. Because the blade is so high, it touches not a single, nor multiple blades of grass.

When finished with the familiar pattern of the chore, the blade raiser turns and admires the effort in light of spent time, spent energy, and the totality of life.

However, the only insights born of admiring the results of such effort, that are worth considering, are those gained by the action rather than consideration of the action, for they are more hard won.

For instance, if you walk to the gym in order to pay money to exercise, you may be more likely to pause and consider, what is the purpose of this?
marjoram_blues

Note to Walker

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker - you are losing any brownie points gained.

As to your last example starting:
'If you walk to the gym...'

Consider those
Who walked into the thread, thinking it a game of naming; how disappointed for it not to be so.
And
If in walking in, in order not to pay money to exercise the mind, are they more likely to pause and consider, what is the purpose of this ?

But then again, it is only the Lounge - no great effort or convoluted grass-cutting revolutions required, dada.

Go now. We're done here. Just walk away - you know you can do it...
Walk on...
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote:...if you walk to the gym in order to pay money to exercise, you may be more likely to pause and consider, what is the purpose of this?
The pool, the Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. See ya later, couch potater.
Walker

Re: Note to Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:Walker - you are losing any brownie points gained.

As to your last example starting:
'If you walk to the gym...'

Consider those
Who walked into the thread, thinking it a game of naming; how disappointed for it not to be so.
And
If in walking in, in order not to pay money to exercise the mind, are they more likely to pause and consider, what is the purpose of this ?

But then again, it is only the Lounge - no great effort or convoluted grass-cutting revolutions required, dada.

Go now. We're done here. Just walk away - you know you can do it...
Walk on...
Consider where you are.

This is a philosophy forum.

I adhere to the principle of that, not your shifting and selfish personality preferences.

Therefore, if you please, answer what do you see as the philosophy behind this topic that obviously means a lot to you.

Namely, this topic of the cinema, where projections of reality play out upon a blank screen of awareness.

And if you can provide no philosophical relevance for your topic of guessing the name of a film, as I have provided for your topic, then perhaps you have some other reason to be here and pray-tell, what would that be?

To lounge on the couch like a potato, the first instinct of uwot?

8)
uwot

Another note to Walker

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote:To lounge on the couch like a potato, the first instinct of uwot?
Yeah, but I manage to fight it.
Walker

Re: Another note to Walker

Post by Walker »

:)

OK. Gottum both.
marjoram_blues

Re: Another note to Walker

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote::)

OK. Gottum both.

:roll: