Is it true in the UK that you need a license to own a...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Is it true in the UK that you need a license to own a...

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Welcome to the Forum. And please meet our local village idiot.
For your own piece of mind you might have to ignore him.
Thank you for the warm welcome and the thoughtful warning. I have to say, though, even the village idiot deserves to be part of the community. To ignore him is cruel... exclusive... Let's make him wear a hat with bells on and dance his carefree jig round the village. We may be laughing at him but he's still one of our own. One day he'll fall into the local pond and drown, all of his own accord, and we shall miss the loony tunes that made him jig and totter about the village, despite how relieved we all are.
:)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Is paying a government fee to watch TV tyranny or not?
What would make the BBC TV licence fee tyrannical?

Is it oppressive?
No

Is it cruel?
No

Is it despotic?
No

Is it an unreasonable or arbitrary tax?
Yes, but then so are many taxes.

It one of the few "taxes" that are voluntary. It's not even a tax - it is a 'licence fee'.
But you are arguing with a 'man' that thinks all taxes, except property taxes are unreasonable

It it an unreasonably harsh tax?
Not really. Brits tend to riot against harsh taxes.

Does the fee contribute to something that benefits the viewer?
Yes: no advertisements, or constant breaks, as your programme gets exciting. It used to contribute to quality programming but that's been lost to the commercial cost of programme making and the fact the BBC budget can only extend to farming out projects to those that price themselves competitively, and comparatively, cheaply.

The BBC also has some of the best TV on earth.

This has all been said before, hasn't it? If so, I apologise for the repetition.

So in answer to your question, I would say in this case, overwhelmingly, that the BBC TV licence fee is NOT a tyranny. It's a bit of a pain but then so is the council tax.

Does this signal an end to the rattling of your sabre?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:It one of the few "taxes" that are voluntary. It's not even a tax - it is a 'licence fee'.
I stand corrected, it is a "fee" but it is not voluntary. Every premisis must be covered by a licence. In the old days, there was a three TV limit to the number of appliances your licence covered. Now, in the wifi age, it doesn't specify. You don't even need wifi. It seems that all you need is an address and a smart phone. If you are covered by your phone service provider for mobile data, that still means you are able to access BBC iPlayer and therefore must pay the fee.

What is interesting is that, if you don't have a licence and their 'enforcers' come knocking on your door, asking permission to enter, you can refuse them entry. They have no right to burst into your premisis. Often people assume they must let them in, and so do. People can be compliant.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:The BBC also has some of the best TV on earth.
The BBC used make the most amazing programmes. They had theIr own studios, and trained professionals in-house, under apprenticeship schemes. A job there was one you could have held for life... though the pay was often lower than the commercial companies. That's mostly all gone. Unfortunately, now the quality varies as they do not make their own programmes any more. They put out tenders to smaller commercial companies who offer the best 'value for money' (read: cheap). The industry standards have changed over the decades and the BBC have simply fallen in line, given their budget.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:It one of the few "taxes" that are voluntary. It's not even a tax - it is a 'licence fee'.
I stand corrected, it is a "fee" but it is not voluntary.
It's voluntary in the sense that if you have no equipment you don't pay. I know people that 'live off the grid'.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
I stand corrected, it is a "fee" but it is not voluntary.
It's voluntary in the sense that if you have no equipment you don't pay. I know people that 'live off the grid'.
Does that make it voluntary? It just means it doesn't apply to you, if you have no equipment, making you exempt from the charge. I always assumed voluntary meant "done or undertaken of one's own free will" or "usually controlled by or subject to individual volition", giving an individual choice over the matter.

The payment is mandatory, not voluntary. Failure to declare your status means you could be prosecuted. You have to tell the authorities if you DON'T have equipment, that's how mandatory it is. It applies to households, not individuals. Most individuals are registered to their homes via council tax status, so technically everyone should be covered, but the homeless, many of whom have smart phones. How they get their fee is beyond me? It's this aspect of the licence that most bugs me. It used to be about having up to three TVs in your home. Now the TV can be irrelevant if you have a phone.

The problem is that there are loopholes as to how they can catch you. As mentioned before they have no power of entry, relying on compliance of homeowners. They can get court orders to enter your home but that costs more than the licence. They can prosecute you but they must provide proof. Enforcement Is impractical.

It's amazing that your friends can live off the grid. How do they do that without a phone?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

England's fee for watching TV violates the very foundation of free speech. The power to tax or charge a fee for watching TV is the power to destroy free speech no matter how you try to sanitize it!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:... watching TV is the power to destroy free speech ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And in Fux News you're doing just that eh!
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Stick to the subject, dum-dum.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

bobevenson wrote:England's fee for watching TV violates the very foundation of free speech. The power to tax or charge a fee for watching TV is the power to destroy free speech no matter how you try to sanitize it!
I know I shouldn't encourage you, as I have been warned... but what's your logic?

The payment is supposed to safeguard against how we are manipulated by other commercial concerns who can buy up TV space, and the content thereof, and basically limit the choices we have. How is free speech "destroyed" by the BBC? The BBC is so right on, that it has regional concerns. London's central control over BBC business has been dismantled, it's buildings sold off, with each region reinforcing its hold on the BBC's responsibility to regionality. That's providing a voice, not limiting free speech.

It's sad to see you are incapable of reading other people's posts. The BBC is not an English corporation, it's British. It's already been pointed out to you. If you must keep pointing, and wagging, your bony finger of scorn and contempt, point it at the U.K... not England!
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

ForCruxSake wrote:
bobevenson wrote:England's fee for watching TV violates the very foundation of free speech. The power to tax or charge a fee for watching TV is the power to destroy free speech no matter how you try to sanitize it!
I know I shouldn't encourage you, as I have been warned... but what's your logic?

The payment is supposed to safeguard against how we are manipulated by other commercial concerns who can buy up TV space, and the content thereof, and basically limit the choices we have. How is free speech "destroyed" by the BBC? The BBC is so right on, that it has regional concerns. London's central control over BBC business has been dismantled, it's buildings sold off, with each region reinforcing its hold on the BBC's responsibility to regionality. That's providing a voice, not limiting free speech.

It's sad to see you are incapable of reading other people's posts. The BBC is not an English corporation, it's British. It's already been pointed out to you. If you must keep pointing, and wagging, your bony finger of scorn and contempt, point it at the U.K... not England!
The only one who can reason with Bob is his "Divine Guidance."

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

ForCruxSake wrote:

Please, U.K. or England, it's just a shell game of smoke and mirrors to keep you guessing. Who the hell do you think you're kidding? And your reference to a government TV payment to safeguard the public, what kind of doublespeak crap is that!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bobevenson wrote: Please, U.K. or England, it's just a shell game of smoke and mirrors to keep you guessing. Who the hell do you think you're kidding? And your reference to a government TV payment to safeguard the public, what kind of doublespeak crap is that!
The TV license fee also pays for BBC radio, although you don't need a licence to listen to radio. BBC Radio 4 is one of, if not THE, greatest contribution to civilisation, it is worth the fee just for that alone. I don't expect you to understand, not just because you are American, lot's of Americans appreciate what's good about Britain. No, it's because you're one of those ignorant Americans, the idiot Americans who've bought into all that "The American Way" crap.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote: Please, U.K. or England, it's just a shell game of smoke and mirrors to keep you guessing. ...
:lol: Not only a twat eh bobby but a moron to boot.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote: Please, U.K. or England, it's just a shell game of smoke and mirrors to keep you guessing. ...
:lol: Not only a twat eh bobby but a moron to boot.
Speaking of twats, Ms. Novak, that's something you should be very familiar with!
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Harbal wrote:
bobevenson wrote: Please, U.K. or England, it's just a shell game of smoke and mirrors to keep you guessing. Who the hell do you think you're kidding? And your reference to a government TV payment to safeguard the public, what kind of doublespeak crap is that!
The TV license fee also pays for BBC radio, although you don't need a licence to listen to radio.
What, do you mean your government masters made a mistake by not having an additional fee for listening to the radio? Jesus Christ, you weak-kneed bastards should be taxed for reading the newspaper!
Last edited by bobevenson on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.