Is it true in the UK that you need a license to own a...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Is it true in the UK that you need a license to own a...

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:The difference is that we've got guns and you don't, and please don't make the ridiculous comment that our guns are no match for the government's armed forces!
:lol: Of course they are, no idea why the Afghans and Iraqi's lost when everyone and their mother had RPG's and AK's?

But no fear bob as it's your yahoos with guns who'll be supporting the Trumpette as right-wing sectarian militias. :lol:

You really are a muppet.
uwot

Post by uwot »

bobevenson wrote:...don't make me patronize you by going into details.
That's very thoughtful of you, reverend Bob, but I really would like to know how small arms can prevail against nuclear weapons.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

uwot wrote:
bobevenson wrote:...don't make me patronize you by going into details.
That's very thoughtful of you, reverend Bob, but I really would like to know how small arms can prevail against nuclear weapons.
Please, if the citizens revolted against the U.S. government, you're suggesting the response would be nuclear weapons?
uwot

Post by uwot »

bobevenson wrote:Please, if the citizens revolted against the U.S. government, you're suggesting the response would be nuclear weapons?
No. It is you that is insisting that a tyrannical US government wouldn't resort to them. Why do you think there is a limit to US governmental tyranny?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

uwot wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Please, if the citizens revolted against the U.S. government, you're suggesting the response would be nuclear weapons?
No. It is you that is insisting that a tyrannical US government wouldn't resort to them. Why do you think there is a limit to US governmental tyranny?
Please, what's the government going to do, drop an atomic bomb on Washington, D.C.? There is no limit to government tyranny, and that's why Americans, under the U.S. Constitution, have the right to bear arms. Of course, places like England don't have a constitution, so I guess they can do just about whatever they want, like charging you for watching TV!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:... Of course, places like England don't have a constitution, so I guess they can do just about whatever they want, like charging you for watching TV!
You get free TV in America?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote:... Of course, places like England don't have a constitution, so I guess they can do just about whatever they want, like charging you for watching TV!
The major TV networks are free with your own antenna. Cable and satellite TV are available in a competitive free market, and nobody has to pay the government a goddamn cent!
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:
The major TV networks are free with your own antenna. Cable and satellite TV are available in a competitive free market, and nobody has to pay the government a goddamn cent!
Er Bob, that's not 100% true. There are taxes on cable bills and probably satellite bills too.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Arising_uk wrote: You get free TV in America?
Er Bob, that's not 100% true. There are taxes on cable bills and probably satellite bills too.

PhilX
There are improper taxes on everything. The only proper tax is a single tax on property, property being defined as anything with intrinsic market value.
uwot

Post by uwot »

bobevenson wrote:There are improper taxes on everything. The only proper tax is a single tax on property, property being defined as anything with intrinsic market value.
So instead of paying for a license, you pay tax for owning a TV. I have to say, Reverend Bob, I like our system better. At least we get something worth watching for our money. As it happens, we also have a type of property tax as you describe, it's called Value Added Tax. When we buy something, it is added to the intrinsic value, just as you prescribe, but it is a one off, point of sales tax. If I understand you correctly, you are advocating that we pay VAT for as long as we own a television, even if we never watch it. Should we really be charged for something we don't use?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Please, a value added tax is like a series of sales taxes, all of them decidedly improper. Again, all property with intrinsic market value must be taxed without exemptions or deductions. George Harrison pretty much got it right with the "Taxman":
"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet."

One of the problems with income and sales taxes is that they only tax currently produced property, while all property produced in the past also receive the benefits of government protection.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

You now need a TV license if you are in possession of a TV set.. whether it works or not... that law came in a few years back to counteract the 'my TV ain't working' scammers. :lol:
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

MagsJ wrote:You now need a TV license if you are in possession of a TV set.. whether it works or not... that law came in a few years back to counteract the 'my TV ain't working' scammers. :lol:
Sorry, it's the government doing the scamming!
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

bobevenson wrote:
MagsJ wrote:You now need a TV license if you are in possession of a TV set.. whether it works or not... that law came in a few years back to counteract the 'my TV ain't working' scammers. :lol:
Sorry, it's the government doing the scamming!
:lol:

I hate having to pay the fee, so I pay by DD.. for minimal impact on my finances. We were so close to nearly scrapping it, then they did a veto on it, as per...

I hate paying Council Tax too, but I'm balancing that out with my NI usage of late for chronic fatigue treatment. :lol:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

We should just pay for the Beeb out of direct taxation.