Goodbye

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Goodbye

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:I just received a refresher course in why Lacewing left.
SYLA - AAWC
No acronymi involved...I hope?
Skip

Post by Skip »

I doubt Lacewing is even capable of such a thing. I'm capable and willing enough to hold grudges, but old and must budget my energy.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:I doubt Lacewing is even capable of such a thing. I'm capable and willing enough to hold grudges, but old and must budget my energy.
What is all this about ?
Skip

Post by Skip »

Today, the thread about hypersensitivity, which somehow spiralled into how an ignorant and noisy minority of Americans, in a fit of pique, threw their country to a pack of hyenas. They haven't smelled their own singed fur yet, and are still strutting.
In general, about the tone in general.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:Today, the thread about hypersensitivity, which somehow spiralled into how an ignorant and noisy minority of Americans, in a fit of pique, threw their country to a pack of hyenas. They haven't smelled their own singed fur yet, and are still strutting.
OK, gottya.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Skip wrote:Today, the thread about hypersensitivity, which somehow spiralled into how an ignorant and noisy minority of Americans, in a fit of pique, threw their country to a pack of hyenas. They haven't smelled their own singed fur yet, and are still strutting.
Mea culpa. I was the first to mention Trump on the thread (only by inference, not name, hoping not to raise the red flags of his militant faithful). I hesitated before doing it for fear of a hijack, but he was such a clear example of a personality type who is insensitive to others but personally sensitive to criticism. It wasn't a criticism of him, just an example of ambiguity in the subject matter.

Alas, I misjudged, and then tried to back out gracefully (and not very successfully) so the topic could get back on track ... which I was enjoying, I might add.

Sorry to Duszek and others for the stuffup. Will be more careful next time.

Lacewing, if you are reading any of this, I hope you're enjoying your return to the real world :)
Skip

Post by Skip »

No, it's not your fault. You mentioned one meaning of 'sensitivity', which I think is generally used as a substitute for touchiness or ego-insecurity, social mal-ease or placing an exaggerated importance on how one is perceived and responded-to by others.
I think of it as the function of organs for transmitting and processing sensory input.
It's all too easy to shift from the boring one to the sensational one.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:No, it's not your fault. You mentioned one meaning of 'sensitivity', which I think is generally used as a substitute for touchiness or ego-insecurity, social mal-ease or placing an exaggerated importance on how one is perceived and responded-to by others.
I think of it as the function of organs for transmitting and processing sensory input.
It's all too easy to shift from the boring one to the sensational one.
Yes, you are right. And it's all too easy to stir up sentiments which nearly always derail the original topic. But there is nothing unusual in this - ( touchy, sexy subjects can aggravate, engage and stimulate the thinking process) But you know that, got the T-shirt... So why did you feel you had to get out this time round ?

We all learn when some posters are able and willing to show any fallacies involved. Like use of equivocation - and false analogies.

I find it interesting that duszek tends to use fictional characters - rather than current hottie's. Perhaps to pre-empt or defuse any sensitive, potentially destructive drone bombs.

An article in today's Guardian - 'Forget 1984 - these 5 dystopias better reflect Trump's US' - Alex Hern
offers up works of fiction tying them in to Trump's acts as President.

Seems we all have to deal with this new reality unfolding at a pace, before we can even take a breath...
Skip

Post by Skip »

marjoram_blues wrote: Yes, you are right. And it's all too easy to stir up sentiments which nearly always derail the original topic.
When the intended - or what i believe was intended - interests me, I become very quickly annoyed by people who either react defensively (when they haven't been threatened) or parade their intolerance with flags and trumpets.
So why did you feel you had to get out this time round ?
How many "Shit Happens" tee-shirts can one person wear?
I find it interesting that duszek tends to use fictional characters - rather than current hottie's.
I had not noticed that. Maybe I'm just too far removed from hotties.
Seems we all have to deal with this new reality unfolding at a pace, before we can even take a breath...
Pretty soon, there won't be anything to breathe, so don't sweat it.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

OK then - thanks for the tea and biscuits.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Greta wrote:
Mea culpa. I was the first to mention Trump on the thread (only by inference, not name, hoping not to raise the red flags of his militant faithful). I hesitated before doing it for fear of a hijack, but he was such a clear example of a personality type who is insensitive to others but personally sensitive to criticism. It wasn't a criticism of him, just an example of ambiguity in the subject matter.

Alas, I misjudged, and then tried to back out gracefully (and not very successfully) so the topic could get back on track ... which I was enjoying, I might add.

Sorry to Duszek and others for the stuffup. Will be more careful next time.

Lacewing, if you are reading any of this, I hope you're enjoying your return to the real world :)
Very sensitive of you, Greta.

As far as I am concerned I have never a problem with a highjack.
That means that people really enjoy the dialogue and can find out something useful.
After the firework the subject can be resumed.

Or if the firework goes on and on, no problem either.
Let the new topic continue as long as it is burning.

The first topic can be started again in a refreshed form.