Chess

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Chess

Post by marjoram_blues »

TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
TSBU wrote:I think this is going to be quick. What are your aproximated elos if I may ask?
And this is important, why?
Lebron James vs me in basketball would be pretty boring. The explanations can be "the rook is better than the bishop" or "this is the best move against the silician operture"
Duszek wants to practise with someone, as does the doc. There is a charming sense of time slowing down.

You seem impatient. This is Philosophy Not Now chess, doncha know ?!
A different flavour.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

marjoram_blues wrote:
TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote: And this is important, why?
Lebron James vs me in basketball would be pretty boring. The explanations can be "the rook is better than the bishop" or "this is the best move against the silician operture"
Duszek wants to practise with someone, as does the doc. There is a charming sense of time slowing down.

A different flavour.
Well, let's see. I won't disturb here anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtgZKwK6C3U
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
TSBU wrote: Lebron James vs me in basketball would be pretty boring. The explanations can be "the rook is better than the bishop" or "this is the best move against the silician operture"

A different flavour.
Well, let's see.
... but I won't see because I am another who will not open lazy links.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

marjoram_blues wrote:
TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

A different flavour.
Well, let's see.
... but I won't see because I am another who will not open lazy links.
It's up to you, it's just a funny short video about chess.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

marjoram_blues wrote: Who, Doc ?
Yes, that's right.
duszek

Post by duszek »

thedoc wrote:1. e2-e4, c7-c5
2. g1-f3, g8 - f6
There is a rule which says that it is a shame to keep a knight at a border.

The white urchin on e4 could be taken free of charge now but Doc will do something about it probably.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote: Who, Doc ?
Yes, that's right.
I don't know - third base.

PhilX
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote:
2. g1-f3, g8 - f6
There is a rule which says that it is a shame to keep a knight at a border.

The white urchin on e4 could be taken free of charge now but Doc will do something about it probably.
[ An aside : Apparently, once upon a time black was red. I wonder if there would be less forceful energy if the pieces were multicoloured...
And any old colour could go first...
Go pink prawns :) ]

OK, I have moved the knight - enjoying the tranquility, so far...
duszek

Post by duszek »

It´s in the middle of a match when the interesting decisions are taken, now we just try to gain territory and strategic power.
I am rarely online, but if someone wishes to move the colored team (instead of me) then please go ahead.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote:It´s in the middle of a match when the interesting decisions are taken, now we just try to gain territory and strategic power.
I am rarely online, but if someone wishes to move the colored team (instead of me) then please go ahead.
But, but duszek...it wouldn't be the same without you. I like your approach...
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

2. g1-f3, g8 - f6

3. B1-C3,
Last edited by thedoc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

marjoram_blues wrote:
duszek wrote:It´s in the middle of a match when the interesting decisions are taken, now we just try to gain territory and strategic power.
Just as duszek says, if anyone would like to make a move for him, please do so, I'll play against as many as you like. After all, the more of you there are, the more chances that someone will make a mistake.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

thedoc wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Just as duszek says, if anyone would like to make a move for him, please do so, I'll play against as many as you like. After all, the more of you there are, the more chances that someone will make a mistake.
A nice experiment would be to talk in.a group and discuss the moves against a stronger player, or talk about the whole strategy with the oponent seeing it.

Maybe Ill play or offer moves in the middle.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Oh well then - never mind. I was looking forward to following the experiment. Your idea as suggested in the 'Happy New Year' thread. Of a philosophical chess thread - where each move is viewed in philosophical detail...
' even by those who are slow and non ambitious '.

To me, this sounded creative; a bit like the Slow Food movement. And possibly of meditative or therapeutic value. Never mind...perhaps it is better offline with real people...
Or someone else like ( TSBU ? ) might bring experience and skilful thoughts...
Happy contemplations !
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

TSBU wrote: A nice experiment would be to talk in.a group and discuss the moves against a stronger player, or talk about the whole strategy with the oponent seeing it.

Maybe Ill play or offer moves in the middle.
I agree that it would be instructive for the novice player to have the moves explained to them, and that would depend on the nature of the game. At this point I see it as a serious game that I must concentrate on to win, however if it turns into a game of instruction for the edification of those with less experience, so be it. If there is a question about the motives of a particular move, I would be happy to answer. If those motives are obvious I will answer openly, but if there is some deception intended, I might answer in a PM or not at all. Of course if the game turns out to be instructive, then win or lose is irrelevant, and the moves can be discussed openly.