Barrage Balloons

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Barrage Balloons

Post by Belinda »

Would barrage balloons protect Syrians in Aleppo against Russian and Assad government bombing from the air? In case barrage balloons are new to you, these gas filled balloons floated in the skies maintaining one position as they were tethered to the ground with ropes. The ropes from a set of balloons were what made up the protective barrage, and stopped invasions of airspace.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Barrage Balloons

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Belinda wrote:Would barrage balloons protect Syrians in Aleppo against Russian and Assad government bombing from the air? In case barrage balloons are new to you, these gas filled balloons floated in the skies maintaining one position as they were tethered to the ground with ropes. The ropes from a set of balloons were what made up the protective barrage, and stopped invasions of airspace.
But that might also prevent American bombs, and they like American bombs because they shower them with freedom and righteousness.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

I'm sure the bombs will be equipped with needles...

-Imp
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: But that might also prevent American bombs, and they like American bombs because they shower them with freedom and righteousness.
:D You never let an opportunity pass you by, VT. Brilliant. :D
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Belinda wrote:Would barrage balloons protect Syrians in Aleppo against Russian and Assad government bombing from the air? In case barrage balloons are new to you, these gas filled balloons floated in the skies maintaining one position as they were tethered to the ground with ropes. The ropes from a set of balloons were what made up the protective barrage, and stopped invasions of airspace.
That might have worked in WWI but I don't think it would be effective against missiles that would be coming straight down, or bombers that would just fly over them.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Yes, I think that super-light weight cables would have to be invented so the balloons could support huge heights of barrage.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You just shoot them down first.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote:You just shoot them down first.
That would work, but it would also alert the enemy to a surprise attack.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

"Hey! you popped my balloo..."

BOOM

-Imp
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The Assad government is the official "Syrians".
But I think your answer is no. Aerial technology has moved on.