Thanksgiving: what do you have to be thankful for?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Thanksgiving: what do you have to be thankful for?

Post by thedoc »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, even the Brit's. Aren't you thankful to be rid of us?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

You now have a place to send all the refuse that even the Australians didn't want.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote:Happy Thanksgiving everyone, even the Brit's. Aren't you thankful to be rid of us?
Like saying 'god bless you' to an atheist. It doesn't mean anything and just annoys people.
Perhaps you could send 'thanksgiving' wishes to the homeless, limbless, hospital-and-doctorless Syrians.

'Freedom' American-style.
before-after-war-photos-aleppo-syria-fb1__700.jpg
before-after-war-photos-aleppo-syria-fb1__700.jpg (188.88 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
Perhaps y'all can ponder this as you stuff your faces with turkey and thank gawd for your gawdliness. Genocide for dollars. Business American-style.
Aleppo children.jpg
Aleppo children.jpg (112.09 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
Afghan children.jpg
Afghan children.jpg (73.08 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote:
Walker wrote: Guy humour. You lack the imagination to get it.
No, it's just stupid.

Why do you feel the need to insult me because you're being stupid?
You see it that way because that’s the way you interpret events from the world within.

From the world within you judge the clip, and people, as weird and stupid.

From the world within another may view the same clip as funny and sad.
Yet another may see in the clip the whole voyage of life from the world within.

Different things are seen in the same thing, like seeing faces in the rocks, and hearing music in the stream.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote:You see it that way because that’s the way you interpret events from the world within.
That's your story, so tell it to yourself any time you have an assessment/impression about anything or anyone.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote:
Walker wrote:You see it that way because that’s the way you interpret events from the world within.
That's your story, so tell it to yourself any time you have an assessment/impression about anything or anyone.
Here's a bit of mansplaining. :wink:

It is not opinion that the same phenomena will elicit various interpretations amongst various interpreters, such as in the recent example with weird and stupid as contrasted to funny and sad. That’s just the way of things, the example is fresh, this should be obvious.

The interpreter must have a dualistic basis for interpretation, and this too is the way of things, for interpretation is a matter of contrast. The world within is the basis for that contrast. If you think not then that’s a delusion, because your thinking is not in accord with reality, i.e., the way of things.

The ability to maintain or state a delusion as opinion does not make the delusion true, thus not all opinions are true. Even if you are a slave and do what master tells you, you will still contrast what you are told with the world within, because ... the contrasting is an automatic aspect of self-awareness.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote:Here's a bit of mansplaining.
Of course I realize that there are many ways to perceive everything!

We all make assessments and give our OWN impressions here. That's what I did. My point is that you have assessments and impressions of your own, so I suggest that you use your mansplaining and know-it-all lecturing on yourself. Or do you not find value in being on the receiving end of it either? 8)
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Walker wrote:
Dutch is actually a good movie. One of the characters is an intelligent brat in military school, just like Trump was.
It's a coming of age story, as stories go.
He's not an intelligent man. Don't confuse money and rat-cunning with intelligence.
He's also an extremely vindictive man. It will be interesting to see who comes into his line of fire.
rat-cunning :lol:

I think you’re right about vindictive.

However, the evidence of Trump's life indicates that he controls vindictiveness well and uses it to his advantage. He is not a neurotic victim of his proclivities, he controls them for energy. For example, Romney was the last candidate from that party, same party as Trump. Romney savaged Trump in the recent primaries, it might have even been after the primaries. Really brutal, and uncharacteristic of Romney. It was personal invective delivered with force and calm rationality. He was trying to destroy Trump.

Now, Trump is considering Romney for secretary of state, for which he is well qualified, and which is a kind of punishment for Romney. Romney is an old-timer, he has all the money in the world and globe trotting takes a physical toll, yet if Romney refuses his president he will look divisive and petulant.

Trump is now producing Romney’s reality.

I think Trump follows the old school rule of, keep your enemies closer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

There is no use preaching to the lost sheep who refuse to admit that they are lost, but we do it anyhow, just in case.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Walker wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: He's not an intelligent man. Don't confuse money and rat-cunning with intelligence.
Sort of puts the lie to the idea that "he's not an intelligent man". I think he's smarter than many will give him credit for. Most who try to denigrate him are just his political enemies, and have nothing of substance to attack him with.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

thedoc wrote:Most who try to denigrate him are just his political enemies, and have nothing of substance to attack him with.
Nothing of substance? Are you kidding? Are you completely disregarding the substance of his PUBLICALLY RECORDED endless spew of lies and insults and cruelty and hatred and childishness? What exactly do you think would be more worthy as substance?
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
Walker wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: He's not an intelligent man. Don't confuse money and rat-cunning with intelligence.
Sort of puts the lie to the idea that "he's not an intelligent man". I think he's smarter than many will give him credit for. Most who try to denigrate him are just his political enemies, and have nothing of substance to attack him with.
Walker and I are not the same person, so it's hardly a 'lie'. Judging by who he's putting in the most powerful positions, he can't be very intelligent (or perhaps he has some cunning plan).
It's so interesting the way kristians, such as yourself, don't bat an eyelid at the atrocities and murders your country commits, then go off and pray to whatever god you think you believe in.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:
However, the evidence of Trump's life indicates that he controls vindictiveness well and uses it to his advantage. He is not a neurotic victim of his proclivities, he controls them for energy.
Sounds like a lovely man. :|
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greta

Post by Greta »

I'm grateful:

- to be born a human being

- to be born in middle class Australia

- for comfortable retirement and my father who made it possible, and for my family, friends and pets and all they have done for me, directly or otherwise

- for somehow surviving this long without too much mishap (touch wood - no doubt the biggest trials are yet to come)

- societal progress, very gradually moving on from the more vicious and discriminatory ways of the past

- that there is still some wildlife and animals to enjoy

- that nature and the skies are available to me when human beings and their self-obsessive anthropocentric BS gets too much.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Walker wrote:
However, the evidence of Trump's life indicates that he controls vindictiveness well and uses it to his advantage. He is not a neurotic victim of his proclivities, he controls them for energy.
Sounds like a lovely man. :|
:)

Part of life is mitigating the damage and delusion.

Jack succinctly and situationally elaborates in less than two minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLv0VGBeBu0