How fast would you like a driverless car to go?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

On a 50-mph highway (human-driven), how fast should the car go?

1st choice: 45 mph
No votes
2nd choice: 50 mph
No votes
3rd choice: 55 mph
No votes
Another choice (write-in)
100%

Total votes: 4

thedoc

Re: How fast would you like a driverless car to go?

Post by thedoc »

Thankyou, I'm never quite sure about those 2 words.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote:Thankyou, I'm never quite sure about those 2 words.
Actually doc, I was concerned it was a trick question as the British don't have an exact equivalent for mile. (now if she had used civilized instead of "civilised", I would have been at ease)

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sorry, I was referring to lose and loose, not MPH and Miles per Hour. But it's OK I don't expect any serious response from VT, just abuse.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Zero kph.
Greta

Post by Greta »

WendyDarling wrote:Insulted by a question? Yes then?

I'll weave you a basket, I promise.
Hmm, what would one prefer? To relax and read a book and have a snooze for the next hour or would it be more fun to determinedly watch other cars' rear ends for an hour?

I hear that only "tech tards" would prefer to read and snooze.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What is mph in the civilised world?
An Americanism and an anachronism.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Insulted by a question? Yes then?

I'll weave you a basket, I promise.
Hmm, what would one prefer? To relax and read a book and have a snooze for the next hour or would it be more fun to determinedly watch other cars' rear ends for an hour?

I hear that only "tech tards" would prefer to read and snooze.
"...watch other cars' rear ends..." Are you alluding to something here (including watching smoke come out from the tailpipes)?

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Cars will soon be a thing of the past with human express magnetic impulse travel tubes, which will be able to accelerate a human being up to a designed 700mph but leading eventually to speeds up to 2000mph (depending on the length of the journey) and safely decelerate them back to zero arriving comfortably to their destination.

Planes, and conventional vehicles will be a thing of the past with travel to the other side of the world in less than a day.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Cars will soon be a thing of the past with human express magnetic impulse travel tubes, which will be able to accelerate a human being up to a designed 700mph but leading eventually to speeds up to 2000mph (depending on the length of the journey) and safely decelerate them back to zero arriving comfortably to their destination.

Planes, and conventional vehicles will be a thing of the past with travel to the other side of the world in less than a day.
I can imagine this eventually happening in east Asia but I can't see how a democratic society could possibly create that kind of new infrastructure because numerous properties would need to be taken over, not to mention interference from powerful legacy energy players.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Cars will soon be a thing of the past with human express magnetic impulse travel tubes, which will be able to accelerate a human being up to a designed 700mph but leading eventually to speeds up to 2000mph (depending on the length of the journey) and safely decelerate them back to zero arriving comfortably to their destination.

Can you post articles that support your contention that cars will soon be a thing of the past. And since planes will be a thing of the past along with the conventional cars (your words), how do you expect to get from one side of the world to the other side? Any articles on this?

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Planes, and conventional vehicles will be a thing of the past with travel to the other side of the world in less than a day.
Dream on, things like that have been predicted for about 100 years, but have not happened yet.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote: I hear that only "tech tards" would prefer to read and snooze.
There used to be a section of the Pa. turnpike that was a lot of fun to drive, west bound from past Berlin to the tunnels. I used to drive in in my '67 Mustang and would pass all the "timid tillies" going up the hill, did the same thing with my '70 Torino Cobra. Now it's been straightened out and is a lot less fun. I prefer to drive my own car safely, rather than have some computer, programmed by a driver illiterate, drive for me.
Greta

Post by Greta »

thedoc wrote:
There used to be a section of the Pa. turnpike that was a lot of fun to drive, west bound from past Berlin to the tunnels. I used to drive in in my '67 Mustang and would pass all the "timid tillies" going up the hill, did the same thing with my '70 Torino Cobra. Now it's been straightened out and is a lot less fun. I prefer to drive my own car safely, rather than have some computer, programmed by a driver illiterate, drive for me.
You enjoy the sport of driving. I do not, and I have terrible directions and thus am unsafe when driving in unfamiliar territory so I have largely quit driving. Automatic cars would make me mobile again, especially since I have a bung foot and it hurts to walk. They would be a dream come true for me.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote:
thedoc wrote:
You enjoy the sport of driving. I do not, and I have terrible directions and thus am unsafe when driving in unfamiliar territory so I have largely quit driving. Automatic cars would make me mobile again, especially since I have a bung foot and it hurts to walk. They would be a dream come true for me.
Have you ever used GPS technology?

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Then you should embrace Driverless cars, and adopt the technology, but don't force it on everyone.