How fast would you like a driverless car to go?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

On a 50-mph highway (human-driven), how fast should the car go?

1st choice: 45 mph
No votes
2nd choice: 50 mph
No votes
3rd choice: 55 mph
No votes
Another choice (write-in)
100%

Total votes: 4

Philosophy Explorer

How fast would you like a driverless car to go?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Here's the scenario. You're a passenger in a driverless car where the speed limit is 50 mph for human-driven cars. How fast would you like the car to go?

I'm setting up a survey with three listed speeds plus a write-in for another choice. You would also have to write-in to tell us what you'd prefer when the weather is bad.

PhilX
Terrapin Station

Re: How fast would you like a driverless car to go?

Post by Terrapin Station »

With the flow of traffic, or alternatively +-10% of the speed limit. That would include in inclement weather, barring road condition problems, unless the technology can't work as well in inclement weather. If the road condition is dangerous--standing water, thick snow, ice including black ice, etc., then it should slow down to a safe speed for navigating those problems. In inclement weather without road condition problems, it's typically less-then-ideal abilities of and added stress on the driver that are the main sources of problems.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

On a standard Highway the posted speed limit is a good starting point, in some cases the car could keep up with the flow of traffic. On some multi-lane highways there are special express lanes or in some cases lanes for cars with the driver plus one or more passengers. There could be special lanes for driverless cars with a raised speed limit. I would also echo Terrapin Station's comments about conditions.
WendyDarling

Post by WendyDarling »

0 kph or mph. Our autonomy to direct our lives from point A to point B should remain unscathed.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

WendyDarling wrote:0 kph or mph. Our autonomy to direct our lives from point A to point B should remain unscathed.
For some drivers who are afraid to drive a driverless car might be the best answer, much like a taxi or bus. It would offer the flexability of driving your own car. Driverless cars should always be optional for drivers with reasonable safety records, they should not be mandatory but available for those who otherwise have no transportation.
WendyDarling

Post by WendyDarling »

It will become an all or nothing situation, where the manufacturers of technology such as automated cars will use their investors and lobbyists to push their agenda whether it is safe or no. Human error will be scrutinized directly, but not the human error in programming code, that will be concealed by the money backers. Kill switches and direct police monitoring will be normalized. "Drivers" will have no direct authority of the vehicles movements other than their voice recognized destination. So many horrors await and you'll be surrendering your liberty in the process.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

WendyDarling wrote:It will become an all or nothing situation, where the manufacturers of technology such as automated cars will use their investors and lobbyists to push their agenda whether it is safe or no. Human error will be scrutinized directly, but not the human error in programming code, that will be concealed by the money backers. Kill switches and direct police monitoring will be normalized. "Drivers" will have no direct authority of the vehicles movements other than their voice recognized destination. So many horrors await and you'll be surrendering your liberty in the process.
Don't buy a new car for as long as you can, that way you can avoid having to get a driverless car. I believe the liberal left, who is pushing for the driverless car, is loosing power in the US. I don't know the situation in other countries.

One sign of hope for sanity to prevail, the motorcycle helmet law was repealed in Pa. Bikers can choose for themselves.
WendyDarling

Post by WendyDarling »

Most biker's choose to be uninformed or clueless about safety protocols during motorcycling by not taking motorcycle safety classes. Wearing a helmet is the least of their worries, especially when they do not understand how to take care of a helmet, when to dispose of a helmet which is no longer effective.

I will be buying classics and collecting their parts, repairing them myself without the need for computerized equipment. I enjoy rolling down the windows manually.
Greta

Post by Greta »

I don't mind. The idea of being driven around by a robot car is delightful to me.
WendyDarling

Post by WendyDarling »

Yes, it was delightful at Disney World and then I grew up. The definition of a tech-tard is an individual who places the progress of technology over the well-being of humanity. Is this forum a haven for tech-tarded individuals?
Greta

Post by Greta »

WendyDarling wrote:Yes, it was delightful at Disney World and then I grew up. The definition of a tech-tard is an individual who places the progress of technology over the well-being of humanity. Is this forum a haven for tech-tarded individuals?
It seems that, according to theists like Wendy, the "well being" of humanity is apparently fostered by insulting other people at the first opportunity. Do you also wish to wind back civil rights for certain groups?

It's not as though driving is a fundamental human skill. I suggest that those concerned about human skill loss through technology throw away their cars and appliances and take up running, horse-riding, javelin-throwing, basket-weaving and animal skinning and gutting.
WendyDarling

Post by WendyDarling »

Insulted by a question? Yes then?

I'll weave you a basket, I promise.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:It will become an all or nothing situation, where the manufacturers of technology such as automated cars will use their investors and lobbyists to push their agenda whether it is safe or no. Human error will be scrutinized directly, but not the human error in programming code, that will be concealed by the money backers. Kill switches and direct police monitoring will be normalized. "Drivers" will have no direct authority of the vehicles movements other than their voice recognized destination. So many horrors await and you'll be surrendering your liberty in the process.
Don't buy a new car for as long as you can, that way you can avoid having to get a driverless car. I believe the liberal left, who is pushing for the driverless car, is loosing power in the US. I don't know the situation in other countries.

One sign of hope for sanity to prevail, the motorcycle helmet law was repealed in Pa. Bikers can choose for themselves.
The 'liberal left' is letting loose its power? Please explain. Does it normally keep a rein on its power, rather than 'letting it loose'?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What is mph in the civilised world?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What is mph in the civilised world?
Miles per hour.

PhilX