General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Another major quake rocks Italy

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Philosophy Explorer

Re: Another major quake rocks Italy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Where is the philosophy?
The Lounge is for general chit-chat, otherwise I would have placed it under general philosophy.

Actually any topic can be associated with philosophy. I think a good question would be what would the four earthquakes (the most recent measured at 6.6 which is about the five times stronger than #3 which measured at 6.1) mean to the world? Does this mean that Italy is unlivable? (I don't believe that myself, but having four earthquakes so close to one another is unusual and makes me think).

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

The internet said the quake was at 6.6. The news crawl on my TV screen says it registered 7.1.

PhilX
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Is the name 'Apennines' like the name of that other mountain spine 'Pennines' referring to the shape of a large quill?
Philosophy Explorer

Belinda wrote:Is the name 'Apennines' like the name of that other mountain spine 'Pennines' referring to the shape of a large quill?
I've done a google search for the etymologies of the names on your behalf Belinda. Apennines derives from the word summit, Pennines isn't clear as to its derivation.

PhilX
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Belinda wrote:Is the name 'Apennines' like the name of that other mountain spine 'Pennines' referring to the shape of a large quill?
I've done a google search for the etymologies of the names on your behalf Belinda. Apennines derives from the word summit, Pennines isn't clear as to its derivation.

PhilX
Thanks Explorer.
Philosophy Explorer

Belinda wrote:

PhilX
Thanks Explorer.
You're welcome. Whenever you have a question on the origin of a word, look up its etymology. That's how I discovered a connection between the words invention and inventory (besides the prefix, invent).

PhilX
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote:

PhilX
Thanks Explorer.
You're welcome. Whenever you have a question on the origin of a word, look up its etymology. That's how I discovered a connection between the words invention and inventory (besides the prefix, invent).

PhilX
Right you are, Explorer. I am also attached to the notion that the etymology of words can offer clues to similar perceptions of significant topographical features. There are possible connections between Italian and Old English or etymological roots. I don't know who named the Pennines, the word seems to me to be more Latin than Teutonic .