Driverless car

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: Driverless car

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

This article indicates that things may be changing faster than many people thought and Tesla may have a solution:

https://electrek.co/2016/11/11/tesla-au ... ars-ahead/

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Philosophy Explorer

Philosophy Explorer

This relates to safety. Interesting read:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a2 ... int-turns/

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Philosophy Explorer

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Do you really think people are clicking on links you post? This is a philosophy forum where one debates each others view on things - not somewhere we should be spammed with links to crap we can all quite easily look up ourselves courtesy of goggle.

Why don't you actually put some effort in, and instead of simply posting links - interpret the contents you are linking to and voice your own opinion.
Philosophy Explorer

attofishpi wrote:Do you really think people are clicking on links you post? This is a philosophy forum where one debates each others view on things - not somewhere we should be spammed with links to crap we can all quite easily look up ourselves courtesy of goggle.

Why don't you actually put some effort in, and instead of simply posting links - interpret the contents you are linking to and voice your own opinion.
Yawnnnn. The links are doing a fine job. I don't recall you posting to this thread to debate. Is that what you like to do? Complain about links instead of having a serious debate which doc already did. And do you think that most people are capable of looking up all these articles and reports. Start debating and stop whining like someone else I know. Nobody is holding you back.

PhilX

PS Note this is posted in the Lounge which is for general chit-chat, not specifically for debating. If you want to debate, fine. You can pick out something disagreeable in an article and give your critique on it which someone can reply to.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

One of the things that needs to be addresses is do the passengers feel safe in the driverless car? In the demonstrations that I have seen video of, there is a line of several cars traveling at high speed very close together. I know that if I were in such a line of cars I would not feel comfortable or safe. I'm sure passengers could get used to it after some time, but to introduce the product the passengers feelings must be considered. Safe following distance is more than just a number of feet to stop when needed, the passengers need to feel safe with the distance between their car and the one in front and behind. I have been on a highway at speed in heavy traffic, and if I try to leave a safe following distance, some other driver will change lanes into the space, and I am immediately following too closely. Perhaps, to gain acceptance, the cars should be programmed to follow existing safety recommendations and as people get used to the idea the distances between cars can gradually be reduced, when the passengers agree to that reduction.
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote:One of the things that needs to be addresses is do the passengers feel safe in the driverless car? In the demonstrations that I have seen video of, there is a line of several cars traveling at high speed very close together. I know that if I were in such a line of cars I would not feel comfortable or safe. I'm sure passengers could get used to it after some time, but to introduce the product the passengers feelings must be considered. Safe following distance is more than just a number of feet to stop when needed, the passengers need to feel safe with the distance between their car and the one in front and behind. I have been on a highway at speed in heavy traffic, and if I try to leave a safe following distance, some other driver will change lanes into the space, and I am immediately following too closely. Perhaps, to gain acceptance, the cars should be programmed to follow existing safety recommendations and as people get used to the idea the distances between cars can gradually be reduced, when the passengers agree to that reduction.
Can you imagine what you're asking for? This could have to accommodate several passengers simultaneously such as a Uber situation. Then there is the weather factor. And how would you communicate your desire if the car is driverless? It wouldn't be easy. Basically it would be an issue of who do you trust more, yourself to do the driving or the driverless car?

Let me toss out a hypothetical for further discussion. If the highway speed limit were 50 mph, how fast should the car be going? People may argue 50 mph. Maybe some people would argue 45 mph. Or 55 mph because the driverless car is felt to be safer than a human-driven one and some people may be in a hurry.

The question is so interesting doc I'm going to set up a survey to see what people would prefer. To date I haven't seen any discussion on this point.

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
thedoc wrote:One of the things that needs to be addresses is do the passengers feel safe in the driverless car? In the demonstrations that I have seen video of, there is a line of several cars traveling at high speed very close together. I know that if I were in such a line of cars I would not feel comfortable or safe. I'm sure passengers could get used to it after some time, but to introduce the product the passengers feelings must be considered. Safe following distance is more than just a number of feet to stop when needed, the passengers need to feel safe with the distance between their car and the one in front and behind. I have been on a highway at speed in heavy traffic, and if I try to leave a safe following distance, some other driver will change lanes into the space, and I am immediately following too closely. Perhaps, to gain acceptance, the cars should be programmed to follow existing safety recommendations and as people get used to the idea the distances between cars can gradually be reduced, when the passengers agree to that reduction.
Can you imagine what you're asking for? This could have to accommodate several passengers simultaneously such as a Uber situation. Then there is the weather factor. And how would you communicate your desire if the car is driverless? It wouldn't be easy. Basically it would be an issue of who do you trust more, yourself to do the driving or the driverless car?

Let me toss out a hypothetical for further discussion. If the highway speed limit were 50 mph, how fast should the car be going? People may argue 50 mph. Maybe some people would argue 45 mph. Or 55 mph because the driverless car is felt to be safer than a human-driven one and some people may be in a hurry.

The question is so interesting doc I'm going to set up a survey to see what people would prefer. To date I haven't seen any discussion on this point.

PhilX
Yes I do understand what is needed, but the program could easily accommodate the passengers that are riding in the car. There would need to be a keypad to set certain parameters just like the computer programs that are in use now. When you use a computer you can set certain parameters, such as click speed, or just fall back on the default settings. The same could be included in the programming for a car, and as far as following distance, it would select for the longest setting selected by the passengers. As far as speed, the passengers could select one of several settings, such as leisurely, normal, or rapid, and the program would be set accordingly, of course some might not be accommodated exactly with each trip. It might be easier to have the passengers select prior to embarking and then group them according to those choices. So people with a similar choice in following distance and travel time would be grouped together. Privately owned vehicles could be set by the owner to accommodate the riders.

Be sure to post the results of your survey, I think the results would be interesting, it would also be interesting to see how the results might change over time.
Philosophy Explorer

Doc wrote:

"Be sure to post the results of your survey, I think the results would be interesting, it would also be interesting to see how the results might change over time."

The survey is running in the Lounge. I'm allowing people to change their votes to keep the survey as up to date as possible as this is new to many people.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

My pickup truck was inspected today and I picked it up this afternoon. When I mentioned driverless cars, the man who ran the inspection station said that he hoped that he was retired and not able to drive when that happened.
Philosophy Explorer