E-Cigarettes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: E-Cigarettes

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote:Hi Walker, yes ive cold turkeyed - up to 4 months once. I just find the e 'cig' or pipe relieves any cravings so its working ok thus far.
I probably used the wrong term with “cold turkey,” because no will or planning was involved.

One moment there was no urge to ever quit smoking. The next moment there was no urge to ever smoke again, and that moment became timeless.

I’m not sure what that’s called. Probably not “cold turkey.”

Anyway, enough about my adventures. Good luck with the vape. I’ve seen people driving with them and it looks like the car is on fire.

:lol:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What Walker said sounds about right, not that I've given up nicotine as I too am using a vapouriser. Everyone I know who has truly given up nicotine just says you stop and you stop by finding a reason to want to, once you've got that its a simple thing to do with very little 'cold turkey'. Last time I heard was that the body takes about about two to three weeks to clean it our of the system any cravings after that are psychological.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Going on only my own experience, I would say that addiction affects some people more than others. I only partake of 2 addictive substances, alcohol and Caffeine, though I understand they are not considered as addictive as other substances. In both cases I have quit, with no withdrawal symptomes, but have later noticed other conditions that needed attention. For example when I stopped drinking alcohol I noticed that I was chewing more and more tums to take care of my indigestion. When it got to 5 or 6 tums a day, I realized that something was wrong, so I started drinking a few glasses of wine each evening, and now I don't use tums at all. I had a similar situation with caffeine, but I'm drinking several cups of coffee in the morning.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:Going on only my own experience, I would say that addiction affects some people more than others. I only partake of 2 addictive substances, alcohol and Caffeine, though I understand they are not considered as addictive as other substances. In both cases I have quit, with no withdrawal symptomes, but have later noticed other conditions that needed attention. For example when I stopped drinking alcohol I noticed that I was chewing more and more tums to take care of my indigestion. When it got to 5 or 6 tums a day, I realized that something was wrong, so I started drinking a few glasses of wine each evening, and now I don't use tums at all. I had a similar situation with caffeine, but I'm drinking several cups of coffee in the morning.
Tums? Chewing gums? :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote:Anyway, enough about my adventures. Good luck with the vape. I’ve seen people driving with them and it looks like the car is on fire.
Yeah, i wondered what you meant by this but my parents have just returned from UK and said loads of people are doing it and some have huge contraptions that let out huge clouds !!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

attofishpi wrote: Tums? Chewing gums? :)
Tums are tablets that you chew up and swallow. They contain 400 mg of calcium and seem to do a good job of neutralizing the excess acid in the stomach, is seems that alcohol has the same effect. It is possible that I have misidentified the cause and effect, but the results are that when I was not drinking wine, I was taking Tums to settle my stomach, and now I have a few glasses of wine and I don't get an upset stomach. I use a 6 oz. juice glass with about 3 - 4 oz. of wine. FYI, I got the same effect with whisky and ginger ale, so I believe it is the alcohol that effects my stomach.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:
attofishpi wrote: Tums? Chewing gums? :)
Tums are tablets that you chew up and swallow. They contain 400 mg of calcium and seem to do a good job of neutralizing the excess acid in the stomach, is seems that alcohol has the same effect. It is possible that I have misidentified the cause and effect, but the results are that when I was not drinking wine, I was taking Tums to settle my stomach, and now I have a few glasses of wine and I don't get an upset stomach. I use a 6 oz. juice glass with about 3 - 4 oz. of wine. FYI, I got the same effect with whisky and ginger ale, so I believe it is the alcohol that effects my stomach.
Ah ha! I find alcohol has the opposite effect probably due to quantity!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Arising_uk wrote:What Walker said sounds about right, not that I've given up nicotine as I too am using a vapouriser. Everyone I know who has truly given up nicotine just says you stop and you stop by finding a reason to want to, once you've got that its a simple thing to do with very little 'cold turkey'. Last time I heard was that the body takes about about two to three weeks to clean it our of the system any cravings after that are psychological.
Yeah, i agree there is a huge state of mind thing on the decision to completely quit, ive had it a few times, but circumstances changed all that.

Do you have any preferred 'flavour'?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Just stuck with the vanilla that came with the package. Not interested in exploring the flavours as the aim is to give-up so just reducing the nicotine level until reach zero and then dwell upon the fact that I'm vaping with zero nicotine so what's the point.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

attofishpi wrote:Yeah, i agree there is a huge state of mind thing on the decision to completely quit, ive had it a few times, but circumstances changed all that. ...
To be honest I think your state of mind wasn't huge enough then.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Arising_uk wrote:
attofishpi wrote:Yeah, i agree there is a huge state of mind thing on the decision to completely quit, ive had it a few times, but circumstances changed all that. ...
To be honest I think your state of mind wasn't huge enough then.
Ya, not in the area required - but its always been huge. :mrgreen:
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote:
Walker wrote:Anyway, enough about my adventures. Good luck with the vape. I’ve seen people driving with them and it looks like the car is on fire.
Yeah, i wondered what you meant by this but my parents have just returned from UK and said loads of people are doing it and some have huge contraptions that let out huge clouds !!
I know very little about vaping. It’s off the radar, an ignorance maybe made so to seek the unagended answer to this question, or perhaps to reveal the limitations of philosophical imaginings rooted solely in the empiricism of biology, however conceptual that might be. Do you actually inhale flavored water-vapor into your lungs? This sounds like drowning, and not very healthy. Does vaping induce mild drowning distress as the stimulant of stuggling to live? (on a minor scale, of course). That's a nice little wake-up jolt in the morning, over coffee. This would be like the 5000+ toxins added to factory cigarettes, some said chemicals commonly known by their poisonous names, additives to jolt life with a little threat not too big when properly dosed. Does this sound like hokum to vapers? The supporting rationale is on the other hand, so to speak. The body is mostly water, including the lungs. Some seek dry climates because of lung obstructions, but when the lungs are not too corrupted then wouldn't a bit of moisture in the lungs be beneficial? Not too much all at once, or you drown, you see. For optimal health, does the vaping philosophy suggest intervals between the huge white clouds?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
I know very little about vaping. It’s off the radar, an ignorance maybe made so to seek the unagended answer to this question, or perhaps to reveal the limitations of philosophical imaginings rooted solely in the empiricism of biology, however conceptual that might be. Do you actually inhale flavored water-vapor into your lungs? This sounds like drowning, and not very healthy. Does vaping induce mild drowning distress as the stimulant of stuggling to live? (on a minor scale, of course). That's a nice little wake-up jolt in the morning, over coffee. This would be like the 5000+ toxins added to factory cigarettes, some said chemicals commonly known by their poisonous names, additives to jolt life with a little threat not too big when properly dosed. Does this sound like hokum to vapers? The supporting rationale is on the other hand, so to speak. The body is mostly water, including the lungs. Some seek dry climates because of lung obstructions, but when the lungs are not too corrupted then wouldn't a bit of moisture in the lungs be beneficial? Not too much all at once, or you drown, you see. For optimal health, does the vaping philosophy suggest intervals between the huge white clouds?
Good points - my father who is ageing and smokes has had pneumonia a couple of times and i thought it could be a bad thing for him - he's sticking to Golden Virginia tobacco since he returned from the UK - but he didnt believe vaping would be an issue re pneumonia.
As i said in my OP - a docu by Michael Moseley convinced me it was the healthier alternative.