E-Cigarettes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

E-Cigarettes

Post by attofishpi »

I bought one about 3 weeks ago - and it seems to be the best alternative ive found for that nicotine hit. Its far more 'natural' than chewing\spraying some other form of delivery.

There have been times when i have had to re-roll a butt or two from the plant pot under the veranda but on the whole - i think i might actually be able to get off the insidious smoke method.

I saw a Michael Mosley doco on the affects of e vapour in comparison to smoke and was convinced that it is a far healthier delivery method.

Any thoughts?
Bill Wiltrack

Re: E-Cigarettes

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

C'mon Bill - i like your GIF.ts but that was shit - not even an electronic cig.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

attofishpi wrote:I bought one about 3 weeks ago - and it seems to be the best alternative ive found for that nicotine hit. Its far more 'natural' than chewing\spraying some other form of delivery.

There have been times when i have had to re-roll a butt or two from the plant pot under the veranda but on the whole - i think i might actually be able to get off the insidious smoke method.

I saw a Michael Mosley doco on the affects of e vapour in comparison to smoke and was convinced that it is a far healthier delivery method.

Any thoughts?
My daughter used one and was able to quit smoking, that was several years ago, and she doesn't smoke anything now. I never smoked, but I know the nicotine addiction is difficult to break.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:
attofishpi wrote:I bought one about 3 weeks ago - and it seems to be the best alternative ive found for that nicotine hit. Its far more 'natural' than chewing\spraying some other form of delivery.

Any thoughts?
My daughter used one and was able to quit smoking, that was several years ago, and she doesn't smoke anything now. I never smoked, but I know the nicotine addiction is difficult to break.
Thats nice to know - i feel this is the one thing that is close enough to the actual inhale and yet i wake up hardly requiring it.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

attofishpi wrote:
thedoc wrote:

Any thoughts?
Thats nice to know - i feel this is the one thing that is close enough to the actual inhale and yet i wake up hardly requiring it.
The important thing is that you want to quit. When she was with her first husband it was difficult because he smoked. She moved back in with us about a year after her 2nd child was born and would go outside to smoke, and in the winter that wasn't easy, neither my wife or I smoke. I think she realized that she wasn't setting a good example for her kids, and that was an important incentive. One more thing I'll add, is to give it a little time, you're probably not going to quit overnight.

I mentioned that I understood how difficult it was to quit. A friend of mine smoked himself to death, even as his lung function declined, he refused to give up smoking. He would lie about quitting, and would cancel MD appointments that his family would make for him. It got to the point that he couldn't go upstairs, and could barely get off the couch to let his dog out.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

This friend I mentioned, is one of the people who started calling me The Doc.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:I mentioned that I understood how difficult it was to quit. A friend of mine smoked himself to death, even as his lung function declined, he refused to give up smoking. He would lie about quitting, and would cancel MD appointments that his family would make for him. It got to the point that he couldn't go upstairs, and could barely get off the couch to let his dog out.
Ive heard from many people that it is more difficult to quite smoking (nicotine) than heroin. My Dad has emphysema among other things likely caused to a certain extent from smoking. He's going to try the vaping when back from the UK, but to expect him to give up completely forget it - hes tried many times and unfortunately my Mum would have given up but whenever he caved - it was all to easy for her to grab a local cigarette. For her now though she barely smokes more than two a day.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Smoking sucks.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

attofishpi wrote: I've heard from many people that it is more difficult to quite smoking (nicotine) than heroin. My Dad has emphysema among other things likely caused to a certain extent from smoking. He's going to try the vaping when back from the UK, but to expect him to give up completely forget it - hes tried many times and unfortunately my Mum would have given up but whenever he caved - it was all to easy for her to grab a local cigarette. For her now though she barely smokes more than two a day.
Every story like this that I read or hear, makes me glad that I didn't start, I got sick and threw up instead, that cured me. But I do feel sympathy for those who have started, and now face the challenge of quitting. The whole trick is, do you want to quit?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
attofishpi wrote: I've heard from many people that it is more difficult to quite smoking (nicotine) than heroin. My Dad has emphysema among other things likely caused to a certain extent from smoking. He's going to try the vaping when back from the UK, but to expect him to give up completely forget it - hes tried many times and unfortunately my Mum would have given up but whenever he caved - it was all to easy for her to grab a local cigarette. For her now though she barely smokes more than two a day.
Every story like this that I read or hear, makes me glad that I didn't start, I got sick and threw up instead, that cured me. But I do feel sympathy for those who have started, and now face the challenge of quitting. The whole trick is, do you want to quit?
For myself, I desperately want to quit, whilst I definitely don't want to. Wish I had barfed, but I didn't. :(
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
For myself, I desperately want to quit, whilst I definitely don't want to. Wish I had barfed, but I didn't. :(
For me e-cig seems to be the far lesser of two evils. I didn't start smoking until i was about thirty when God started to really put me to the test. Ironically after i bought some tobacco, on the radio the commentator out of the blue stated "Dont smoke!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

attofishpi wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
For me e-cig seems to be the far lesser of two evils. I didn't start smoking until i was about thirty when God started to really put me to the test. Ironically after i bought some tobacco, on the radio the commentator out of the blue stated "Dont smoke!
I was liking them at around 12 or so. Regular smoker by 16.
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote:Ive heard from many people that it is more difficult to quite smoking (nicotine) than heroin. My Dad has emphysema among other things likely caused to a certain extent from smoking. He's going to try the vaping when back from the UK, but to expect him to give up completely forget it - hes tried many times and unfortunately my Mum would have given up but whenever he caved - it was all to easy for her to grab a local cigarette. For her now though she barely smokes more than two a day.
Hello. I quit smoking years ago, cold turkey, and had some insights at the time that may help. Or not.

I quit because someone I knew was having a pretty bad time with a chronic disease that weakened her immune system so she caught double pneumonia and breathing was difficult. As I was effortlessly breathing one day I automatically reached for a cigarette and then the contrast stopped me. At that moment I saw smoking as an act of immense disrespect to all those who wanted to effortlessly breath and could not. And even more, it was disrespecting all of life. That moment killed the psychological craving. I had no more urge. After that I just experienced all the weird sensations of the body waking up.

But the real insight was this. I saw that smoking is a way of running away from the moment instead of accepting the craving just for what it is, and finding the pleasure in that moment of craving. But it threw me off a bit. I started accepting thirst and hunger too, without any need to change what was, and actually finding the pleasure in those cravings too, and finding pleasure in the deepening sensations caused by a timeless present. So after the physical addiction passed everything else balanced out but it was a weird trip for awhile, what with all the toxins pouring out. Eventually I drank some ice water and wow. It was like the first drink, and that combined with the withdrawal for new sensations to accept, just for what they were.

"Whatever we cling to, even if it be hope or faith, can be the disease which carries us off. Surrender is absolute: if you cling to even the tiniest crumb you nourish the germ which will devour you.”
― Henry Miller, The Colossus of Maroussi
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hi Walker, yes ive cold turkeyed - up to 4 months once. I just find the e 'cig' or pipe relieves any cravings so its working ok thus far.