Crazy-ass Attention-seekers

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Melchior

Re: Crazy-ass Attention-seekers

Post by Melchior »

thedoc wrote:There is a condition that has been labeled as the "Martyr Complex", where a person will post something and then revel in the abuse that follows. I'm not sure what the exact psychological condition is called, but the "Martyr Complex" is close enough. It seems to be common on forums and is possibly just another form of trolling. Sometimes responding just feeds the condition, and sometimes a lack of response is read as support that just feeds the delusion.
Masochism?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Melchior wrote:
thedoc wrote:There is a condition that has been labeled as the "Martyr Complex", where a person will post something and then revel in the abuse that follows. I'm not sure what the exact psychological condition is called, but the "Martyr Complex" is close enough. It seems to be common on forums and is possibly just another form of trolling. Sometimes responding just feeds the condition, and sometimes a lack of response is read as support that just feeds the delusion.
Masochism?
I suppose that's pretty close, but I always thought of Masochism as mostly physical and less mental.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

That is Bob all over.

He thinks himself as Cassandra. He knows the solution to the whole world's problems and has constructed a scheme and se of iron clad policies but he is doomed that no one will ever believe him.

He thinks that is so because the whole world except him is stupid, and that his plan makes perfect sense to him alone.
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 14.32.23.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 14.32.23.png (64.26 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:It's about time somebody brought that up, Lacewing, and I don't think we have to name names since they know all too well who they are!
Talking about yourself in the third person is a sure sign of madness!!
:lol:
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote:It's about time somebody brought that up, Lacewing, and I don't think we have to name names since they know all too well who they are!
Talking about yourself in the third person is a sure sign of madness!!
No, I believe a 200 font size with a smilie to boot is a sure sign of madness.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:No, I believe a 200 font size with a smilie to boot is a sure sign of madness.
Do you? Irony just goes whoosh! right by you doesn't it bob.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote:No, I believe a 200 font size with a smilie to boot is a sure sign of madness.
Do you? Irony just goes whoosh! right by you doesn't it bob.
Suspicions obviously confirmed.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What that irony whooshes right by you and that you are a grade A barking loony, yup! Confirmed!!
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
That is Bob all over.

He thinks himself as Cassandra. He knows the solution to the whole world's problems and has constructed a scheme and se of iron clad policies but he is doomed that no one will ever believe him.

He thinks that is so because the whole world except him is stupid, and that his plan makes perfect sense to him alone.

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 14.32.23.png
I kind of thought Cassandra complex is mostly about predicting disasters all the time. I encountered somebody with that talent on another forum, he was quite amazing. And I'm fairly sure martyrdom complexes are recognisable by their constant droning about all the hopes and dreams they gave up on for the sake of some particular ingrate.

In my (not at all professional or qualified) opinion, one of our very special posters surely has Delusional Disorder of the Grandiose Type. Not so very different from those guys who think they are Napoleon.

My guess for the other remains Narcissistic Personality Disorder although I could be persuaded that he takes more of a buffet / smorgasbord approach to hi insanity.

This is the first philosophy forum I've ever really used. I sort of assumed that the P word itself attracts a lot of nutters who think their thoughts are special, unique and new, even when all the evidence suggests they are bland, incoherent and stale.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that there are a lot of eccentric nutter on a philosophy site. I must say I prefer eccentric nutters to blatant arse-holes.
Greta

Post by Greta »

FlashDangerpants wrote:This is the first philosophy forum I've ever really used. I sort of assumed that the P word itself attracts a lot of nutters who think their thoughts are special, unique and new, even when all the evidence suggests they are bland, incoherent and stale.
It's pretty clear that, usually, professionals in the field aren't going to throw their ideas around for free, nor bother wading through the naive objections of the anti-science and anti-authority crowd - No sunnovabitch in an ivory tower is gunna tell me what's real and what's not!!! [sic]. That attitude speaks to me of people's insecurity in the face of rapid change. I suppose claims that progress benefits everyone have worn thin because there are clearly winners and losers, and it's to be expected that those who stand to lose, or who sympathise with potential losers, will attempt to stymie progress.

However, in philosophy we seek the best truth we can find rather than base our views on political expediency.

Given how many well-resolved questions continue to be pointlessly batted about on philosophy forums, you can't help wondering if there is any value to what we're doing at all, or if it's just a nerdy equivalent to reality TV. I feel like Groucho Marx in that I tend to embrace clubs that wouldn't have me as a member :)
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

My first philosophy teacher asked me why I wanted to join his class. I spluttered some of that standard shit about wisdom and universal truths and whatnot. He then explained that it's really more an intellectual joyride in a clown car powered by bullshit.

When required to explain what the subject really involves, I usually paraphrase Isiah Berlin's less cynical take on the matter. But secretly I still think Mr. Ellis was bang on the money there.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

FlashDangerpants wrote:My first philosophy teacher asked me why I wanted to join his class. I spluttered some of that standard shit about wisdom and universal truths and whatnot. He then explained that it's really more an intellectual joyride in a clown car powered by bullshit.

When required to explain what the subject really involves, I usually paraphrase Isiah Berlin's less cynical take on the matter. But secretly I still think Mr. Ellis was bang on the money there.
Your teacher is right!

..Ellis?
ken

Post by ken »

I do not know what other people's reasons are, but the reason my "crazy-ass attention-seeking" purpose for being here is because no one in "real life" will listen to Me.

My "crazy-ass idea" of the 'I' in the question Who am 'I'?, being the one True Self of which there is really only One in Life, is brought here for "attention-seeking purposes". I am not listened to anywhere else, so why not try here? The worst that could happen is being kicked out, and obviously that appears to happen not too often at all. Thus, the reason I (and others) are still here.

We are all here speaking not face-to-face, with who-knows-who, just to spruce our own ideas and thinking. Even if we are here just to ridicule and put down others, in an attempt to spruce ourselves up, we all still wanting to be heard and express our ideas or thinking, so that we feel that some kind of attention is being taken of us. We all want to be recognized and accepted for who we REALLY are. We all need, to some degree, attention in order to continue to live. Otherwise, there is no purpose to being 'here', in Life and in this forum.

Coming here and remaining here on this forum is just another way we seek attention. We all want attention and try to get it any way we can, this can happen in many different crazy-ass and stupid ways, coming here is just another way. If I could get attention from somewhere else, in "real life," then I certainly would not be on an internet forum, in "virtual life", seeking and trying to get attention from ...
ken

Post by ken »

Lacewing wrote:
mickthinks wrote:My advice is either try harder not to reward the attention-seeking behaviour you complain of, or stop complaining.
Here's another question: What makes people like you have to be so high and mighty when someone steps up to call out crazy behavior? Why attack the person creating a post that has offered thoughtful and honest considerations? Am I just the easiest target you can spot in order to make yourself suddenly seem superior and smarter somehow?
For what its worth, which is probably nothing, I did not see mick doing anything other than just pointing out a view, which they have. I did not see an attacking of any person, but rather just pointing out a behavior.

I know we would all like others to back us up when we are pointing out what another is doing, and "attack" that other person, but if we are going to post on here we have to expect any and all points of views could come forward.

Is it not true that if, for example, each time I post something and absolutely no one responded, and thus no response was given ever, then I would surely give up and go away?

I did not read any more than that, into what was said. But then again I am told I am wrong a lot of the time.