Goya's Ghosts movie

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Goya's Ghosts movie

Post by tbieter »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoeDztFr4c

I watched this film via Netflix and then bought it from Amazon.

The last scene in the movie shocked me. It showed the consequence (destroying a life) of man's inhumanity in a shocking scene of profound depth.
Walker

Re: Goya's Ghosts movie

Post by Walker »

Thanks! Can’t watch the trailer. Good actors and a favorite painting, along with the famous peace-sign painting.

Walker

Post by Walker »

We watched it.

By last scene, do you mean the long camera shot of the cobbled street or what preceded it?
(I assume you mean what preceded it.)

Why is the scene shocking and what is the depth you observed?

I saw Randy Quaid in the movie and said, far out.

That cobblestone street though. Just another day.
Haunted and compromised, joyful and alive.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Walker wrote:We watched it.

By last scene, do you mean the long camera shot of the cobbled street or what preceded it?
(I assume you mean what preceded it.)

Why is the scene shocking and what is the depth you observed?

I saw Randy Quaid in the movie and said, far out.

That cobblestone street though. Just another day.
Haunted and compromised, joyful and alive.
No, the scene that shocked me was this one: Lorenzo has been executed. His corpse has been put on the horse-drawn cart feet first (different from usual where dead bodies are thrown upon the cart head first). She, holding "their" baby, (the baby she grabbed in the tavern when the soldiers raided the place), walks along side the cart. She is holding Lorenzo's hand. She kisses the hand. When the following Goya (who apparently loves her), calls to her she turns and looks back, expressionless, but then continues walking and holding the hand.

I was shocked because the normal response to unjustified incarceration, torture, rape (at least twice by Lorenzo), pregnancy, the taking of her newborn child "before she had tasted my milk", and after 15 years without having had a trial, she is released from prison by the French troops, should be hatred.

Worse, after she goes to Goya and asks his help in finding the daughter born 15 years earlier, and they go to Lorenzo's office (where she voices "their daughter"), Lorenzo tells her to go with a soldier (to "meet her daughter"), she is put in a terrible mental hospital.

I repeat: her normal response should be hatred toward Lorenzo!

In trying to find a psychological explanation for her shocking response to the abuse she has suffered, I suggest that her response is an example of the "Stockholm syndrome". Also, her rational mind, but not her body, has been destroyed by the abuse from the religious and civil authorities. Can I say "her rational mind and her soul?

What do you think?

Can you offer an alternative explanation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm ... planations
Walker

Post by Walker »

You did not account for all the elements of the scene. You must incorporate the children skipping around the cart in your analysis of the victim’s psychological state.

Lorenzo was positioned as splayed on an upside-down cross. The enlightenment upended the cross.

Her life was almost done. There is no bitterness at the end, though some hang onto that delusion until the very last, before the body dies. This is why the last communication is sometimes a tear.

What kept her alive in the dungeon kept her alive in the world. What do you think that was, and do you have any more questions for me?

Goya would take care of her for the rest of her life. He swore to that earlier in the movie. That’s why he was following her at the end. He had to do this because she haunted him, as he described.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Oh well. Skip the spoiler alert. Here’s the actual scene you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBo1ar5qxlw
Walker

Post by Walker »

Did you notice how the opening scene foretold all that was to be, with a viewing of the Goyas that Lorenzo wanted to animate in order to make his name and place in the world? Although Lorenzo did not yet know it, he was driven by ambition and not devotion. His religion was external and not found within. This was why he could babble the reasoning of the church without true comprehension.

The Goyas in the opening scene were of the past but they showed the future, of how Lorenzo was carelessly judged, just as he carelessly judged by the only true measure of man, only he carelessly left himself only nothing with which to bargain the measure. The true measure is life. Not the church. Not reasoning and logic.

What do you think of him? He had charisma and ambition, and he was newly awakened to rationality and reasoning. But if one is looking for lost souls, look to Lorenzo. In the end his eyes reached out for those who most connected him with life. This happens to everyone. One was blood, the other was half of that blood. In finding the measure of all things and thus the meaning, he no doubt felt regret at learning the truth only at the end. But in the end he did finally find his soul, though that eternal moment of within lasted only briefly when viewed from without.