~ Has Anyone Here Had A Brush With Greatness? ~

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ Has Anyone Here Had A Brush With Greatness? ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

If you have, could you share some of the details?

Dalek Prime

Re: ~ Has Anyone Here Had A Brush With Greatness? ~

Post by Dalek Prime »

I actually do have a great brush, and it wasn't even expensive. As to details, well, I'm bald, but I use it on my luxuriously hairy chest, which shouldn't be touched by any average brush.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Yes, I met Mick Mcmanus once.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

....................................................................................
"The Dulwich Destroyer"

....................................................................................................
Well Done!

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dalek Prime wrote:I actually do have a great brush, and it wasn't even expensive. As to details, well, I'm bald, but I use it on my luxuriously hairy chest, which shouldn't be touched by any average brush.
lol. Hairy chests are sexy. I can't be doing with this waxing poncy men get up to these days.
Robin.jpg
Robin.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

He sounded like a good man;

McManus was married to Barbara, who predeceased him (in January 2013); they had one son, Tony.[citation needed]

Frank Rimer, president of the British Wrestlers Reunion, said: "I am deeply saddened to announce the death of the legend that was Mick McManus, who passed away at 1am this morning. Mick never recovered from the loss of his beloved wife Barbara and lost the will to live, despite the loving care of the nurses at the celebrity home for retired actors Brinsworth House where he lived out his final days.

Even the arrival of his old friend Lord Attenborough recently, failed to lift his spirits, refusing all food and drink until he quietly slipped into a coma three days ago."

In his prime, McManus went by the names of "The Man You Love To Hate" and "Rugged South London Tough Guy".[7] The Sun, in which newspaper he wrote a weekly column, commented that McManus had made more televised wrestling appearances than any other British wrestler, in a televised career that spanned 26 years.[8] He was 93.

Did you wrestle with him?

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What's 'great' anyway?
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Who is your father?

Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote:I actually do have a great brush
Damn you, Davros. You were too fast.

One of the good things about living in the information age is ready access to the work of literary, scientific and musical greats; we can have a "brush with greatness" whenever we like.

On a personal level it seems to matter less. The "greats" I've met have routinely turned out to be ordinary intelligent people with particular talents, so face-to-face meetings can be less satisfying than enjoying the greats' work at a distance.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Greta wrote:...One of the good things about living in the information age is ready access to the work of literary, scientific and musical greats; we can have a "brush with greatness" whenever we like. ...
:oops: Forgot about this aspect. So whilst not sure about this 'information age' I've brushed shoulders with many of greatness in philosophy books.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Arising_uk wrote:
Greta wrote:...One of the good things about living in the information age is ready access to the work of literary, scientific and musical greats; we can have a "brush with greatness" whenever we like. ...
:oops: Forgot about this aspect. So whilst not sure about this 'information age' I've brushed shoulders with many of greatness in philosophy books.
I know what you mean. The problem I have with many of the greats of philosophy is that their brilliant insights were often based on inadequate science (it could be argued that this is still the case, given significant issues like dark matter and the disconnect between GR and QM).

When it comes to "greatness", while a few individuals are extraordinary, they're nothing compared with the collective achievements of millions of minds. Many people I come across online seem to have a few excellent insights and a lot of lesser ideas. Put all those good insights together and there's "greatness" to access piece by piece if you sift.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

I was very friendly with Jack Nance; star of EraserHead, and a good friend of Darwin Joston the star of the cult film Assault on Precinct Thirteen.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074486/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074156/?re ... lmg_act_13

I was also speaking to Bobbie Brown today' I've known her for about a year. Though she was in Flash Gordon, she is mainly "Theatre Darling"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1831737/?ref_=fn_al_nm_3

Also mets: Mariah Aiken, Lesley Philips and Simon Williams. If those names mean anything to you guys.

People are really just people and famous people are those doing a famous job.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

From a "spiritual" perspective, one could ask... "When do we NOT have a brush with Greatness?" :D

I like thinking of ALL OF IT as a magnificent manifestation of infinite possibilities... and that's pretty GREAT!

Although my human side can definitely wrestle in the mud with those (including myself) whom I would momentarily define as "poorer examples of possibility" 8) -- but then eventually I happily remember that's part of the greatness too. Those "poor examples" are doing an EXCEPTIONAL job at being that!

It's a no-lose philosophy. :D
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Six degrees of separation.

PhilX