The newcomers.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: The newcomers.

Post by marjoram_blues »

uwot wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:Anyway you can usually tell who the vipers are because they have not read any philosophy books -- or maybe at most only one.
I'm not sure who you would class as a viper, but I have read literally hundreds. If you include papers and web publications, it's probably thousands.
yiostheoy wrote:The vipers are "wanna-be philosophers" but they are blind leading the blind.
If you are referring to those that haven't read a lot of philosophy, there are a few people on this forum who don't have the breadth of knowledge to suggest they have read much philosophy, but are nonetheless first rate philosophers, in my book, because they have paid attention to their experiences, analysed the information in coherent and sometimes poignant, even beautiful way, and have the intellectual integrity to address what is actually said.
yiostheoy wrote:That's why they get along so well with each other and they hate real philosophers whenever they chance to meet one.
And they don't hastily reach untrue self satisfying conclusions based on flimsy evidence. I have been taught by dozens of professional academic philosophers and I have met many more. Is that what you mean by 'real''? What criteria are you applying, and which of those do you meet?
I really like this reply, uwot. We are back to the usual - and nonsensical aggro put out there by those who question what makes a 'real' philosopher. In itself an interesting question but somehow the irritants do so with a 'badness' attached. Or maybe they are simply playing the 'devil' ?

Back to showing real patience, and style ! I don't think I could maintain your overall brilliant level. Actually, I know I couldn't :)
Walker

Post by Walker »

yiostheoy wrote: There is a lot of vipers.

Note that lot is singular even though vipers the object of the preposition is plural.

Thus the singular present form of the verb "to be" is used. Never "there are a lot ...".

Anyway you can usually tell who the vipers are because they have not read any philosophy books -- or maybe at most only one.

The vipers are "wanna-be philosophers" but they are blind leading the blind. That's why they get along so well with each other and they hate real philosophers whenever they chance to meet one.
Easier to just leave out the verb. Think about other things.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:...
Anyway you can usually tell who the vipers are because they have not read any philosophy books -- or maybe at most only one.
I think this can also apply to those who have only read about philosophy books and not the books themselves, ergo, he is a viper. :lol:
Last edited by Arising_uk on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greta

Post by Greta »

marjoram_blues wrote:I too have often wondered if this softly moderated forum is some kind of a grand experiment on Rick's part. However, I think it's just down to his basic laissez-faire philosophy. For the most part, I find it enjoyable ( and have learned heaps ! ) but do have misgivings on what real 'newcomers' think as they scroll, wade and probably turn away. The trouble with this, if it is an 'experiment', is that we will never know how many have been, seen and were not keen to continue in a sleazy old bar with spitting and troublesome drinkers.
Maybe it's a show of faith in humanity that the forum will sort itself out rather than descend into a cyber Lord of the Flies scenario?
marjoram_blues wrote:OK, probably over-thinking the issue. But it is certainly the case that some have been becoming increasingly 'creative' in their responses to the irritants. Fascinatingly eye-opening to read - and so, has pros and cons...
How do we react - in our own personal experiment that is life...( oh crikey, did that sound pretentious :? :) )
Some feel a responsibility to correct misinformation. Given that there's an endless possible stream of misinformation from new members (and old) I suppose slapping them down the same way every time would become a tad monotonous.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Honestly, I don't feel like posting much, anymore. I was going to post five or six since last night, and closed the browser instead of hitting post. Saw no point.

I think I'd just rather read the philosophers, and mull their thoughts over.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Moderated, unmoderated, not seein' that it matters...90% of everything is crap (Sturgeon's Law)...the grade of shit can be higher or lower (better to wade through rabbit pellets that cow piles) but navigate it you must, not just on the net but in the flesh and bone world too.

Like Dal, I haven't much appetite for posting anymore...every so often I catch a wild hair but that impulse is comin' to me less and less.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:Some feel a responsibility to correct misinformation. Given that there's an endless possible stream of misinformation from new members (and old) I suppose slapping them down the same way every time would become a tad monotonous.
Just a wee taste of morning arrogance.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:Honestly, I don't feel like posting much, anymore. I was going to post five or six since last night, and closed the browser instead of hitting post. Saw no point.

You could be a philosopher too. Or at least try.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote:Moderated, unmoderated, not seein' that it matters...90% of everything is crap (Sturgeon's Law)...the grade of shit can be higher or lower (better to wade through rabbit pellets that cow piles) but navigate it you must, not just on the net but in the flesh and bone world too.

Like Dal, I haven't much appetite for posting anymore...every so often I catch a wild hair but that impulse is comin' to me less and less.
A newcomer has been writing on the theme of childhood development in terms of affirmations and not put-downs.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote:
Greta wrote:Some feel a responsibility to correct misinformation. Given that there's an endless possible stream of misinformation from new members (and old) I suppose slapping them down the same way every time would become a tad monotonous.
Wrong on all counts. One, it was evening. Two, I'm personally not much interested in correcting misinformation so your insult was inappropriate and misdirected. I'm not here for politics, just to talk about the nature of reality, but the BS can easily draw you in ...
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Honestly, I don't feel like posting much, anymore. I was going to post five or six since last night, and closed the browser instead of hitting post. Saw no point.

You could be a philosopher too. Or at least try.
Why hold me to higher standards than yourself?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:I think I'd just rather read the philosophers, and mull their thoughts over.
Walker wrote:You could be a philosopher too. Or at least try.
Dalek Prime wrote:Why hold me to higher standards than yourself?
Well, look where mulling has gotten you so far, Wiseguy.

That road still leads where it went before.

Eventually comes the dawn that one needs less than stuffing the balloon to pop the balloon.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:
Walker wrote:
Wrong on all counts. One, it was evening. Two, I'm personally not much interested in correcting misinformation so your insult was inappropriate and misdirected. I'm not here for politics, just to talk about the nature of reality, but the BS can easily draw you in ...
I did not intend to insult you.

I greatly respect your insights.

It's honest feedback.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I think I'd just rather read the philosophers, and mull their thoughts over.
Walker wrote:You could be a philosopher too. Or at least try.
Dalek Prime wrote:Why hold me to higher standards than yourself?
Well, look where mulling has gotten you so far, Wiseguy.
I have. My philosophy has not been refuted.
That road still leads where it went before.
Yes. It leads to the unrefuted philosophy.
Eventually comes the dawn that one needs less than stuffing the balloon to pop the balloon. I don't need to know what you do with your balloons, on waking.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I’ll explain. Stuffing the balloon is you trying to read all the books.

You are the one trying to read all the books.

Not moi.

You are the one looking for something in books.

Not moi.

You are the one stuffing the balloon.

(By now you know the tune).

Thus the message for you to disregard as is your wont, is:

When it takes less than reading all the books then you need read philosophers no more.

You gotta fill it before you can empty it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCIRJH9p0

And you gotta know when to stop eating.

But since the negation of “exterminate” is the singular purpose of a dalek, the dalek disregards and reads none-the-less.

sotto voice: no one ever said Daleks are particularly bright or the philosophy reasonable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek

Conceptually, they follow a larger philosophy of NEINISM!
Last edited by Walker on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.