Human imperfection.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Human imperfection.

Post by Walker »

Takes some learnin to define perfect. Was it perfect before that learnin was discovered?

Who taught you that you're not perfect?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:Takes some learnin to define perfect. Was it perfect before that learnin was discovered?

Who taught you that you're not perfect?
Yes, nothingness is perfect.

I learned the hard way that I'm not perfect.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:I learned the hard way that I'm not perfect.
Fascinating, no doubt.

Any notions of your own imperfection are inferences caused by comparing what is to what you think should be.

And you no doubt have philosophies to bolster what you think you should be in order to be perfect, or that no one is perfect, or whatever. You learned to think what should be by what you were told, and what you observed, and what you reasoned. Thus your idea of what is perfect is predicated upon dualistic thinking, nothing more. Dualistic thinking is an evolutionary adaptation correlated with pattern recognition to optimize survival of the species, and as Sri Nisargadatta tells us, the purpose of dualistic thinking is love … which is also a big boost to the self-perpetuating qualities of a species, considering that love sustains the nurturing consciousness over the distance of time required for an offspring to become self-sustaining. Takes awhile for the body to catch up to all that brain size, thus human beans luv the feelings of love. Otherwise we would hate what is, and find a label for that.

Understandably, this could be new territory for one who has never nurtured, which isn't the same as being nurtured.

But that is the way of things.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

thedoc wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:Google is your friend. Although if you had read any Philosophy lately that would have covered it. That was the oh jeeze part. That's why the neophyte Empirical observation.
Goggle - http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

Tell me how Buddhism fits this bill?
Buddhism is not nihilism, that comes from an imperfect understanding of Buddhism.
Buddhism is great for mollifying Asians. They really dig it. It helps them to stay calm in an otherwise overcrowded part of the world.

For Occidentals it is a complete cop out. There is no excuse for following Buddhism other than you were brainwashed into it by your parents -- who presumably were Asian.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:Buddhism is great for mollifying Asians. They really dig it. It helps them to stay calm in an otherwise overcrowded part of the world. ...
I live on an island the size of the smallest state in the US with a population of 65 million and forecast to keep on rising. Maybe we need to take a look.
For Occidentals it is a complete cop out. There is no excuse for following Buddhism other than you were brainwashed into it by your parents -- who presumably were Asian.
Oh! You're upset by your fellow citizens following it, how Christian of you. Take no fear, they don't follow it, they are just disabused Christians.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:Arising_uk, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
:lol: :lol: :lol: What a wanker!
p.s. Who's this 'your'? Loon alert!!
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:Arising_uk, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Wanker! Wanker!! Wanker!!! This is fun. Shame he can't see it. :)
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:
Greta wrote:More broadly, over evolutionary time scales Homo sapiens are just hominids not long out of the caves. We have always striven to grow and improve but it's a long road to anything that could even be mistaken for perfection.
That's Buddhism. It is a world major religion. Not a philosophy.
You illustrate my point. If rational ideas intersect with something Buddhists have claimed, I don't much mind. I'm just interested in the situation in reality - and I simply sketched an aspect of the human situation above. That's all. Is it Buddhism? Philosophy? Evolutionary biology? Sociology? Doesn't matter.

The reality I observe is that we humans are animals, with an influential "inheritance" of characteristics and impulses bequeathed by countless generations of our survivor forebears. Many of these, often automatic, processes within us are useful. Some, which were useful in the wild, are no longer helpful in modern society, most famously the fight-or-flight impulse. Sometimes we panic and go crazy. We say or do things that we wished we didn't say or do. We have brain glitches.

We humans screw up all the time - and my point is that we can't expect better. As it is, humanity's progress in just a few thousand years - intellectually, morally, technologically, philosophically - is astonishing, and yet we still berate ourselves for our flaws. Humanity as a whole has the attributes that we see in individual leaders and champions. That is, as a group we are driven perfectionists, constantly picking and prodding each other to perform better. This constant striving and competition makes humans beings both extraordinary and extraordinarily wearing.

Humans are extraordinary in nature, and extraordinary pains-in-the-arse. What do you do? Get up, bumble through another day. Hope for the best. This perfection malarkey is for idealists and theorists; it's not something found anywhere in nature.
When applied to the reality that human beings are, the concept of perfect means ... incomparable.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:
Wanker! Wanker!! Wanker!!! This is fun. Shame he can't see it. :)
He can and he shall. He can't resist a peek.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:
Greta wrote:
yiostheoy wrote: That's Buddhism. It is a world major religion. Not a philosophy.
You illustrate my point. If rational ideas intersect with something Buddhists have claimed, I don't much mind. I'm just interested in the situation in reality - and I simply sketched an aspect of the human situation above. That's all. Is it Buddhism? Philosophy? Evolutionary biology? Sociology? Doesn't matter.

The reality I observe is that we humans are animals, with an influential "inheritance" of characteristics and impulses bequeathed by countless generations of our survivor forebears. Many of these, often automatic, processes within us are useful. Some, which were useful in the wild, are no longer helpful in modern society, most famously the fight-or-flight impulse. Sometimes we panic and go crazy. We say or do things that we wished we didn't say or do. We have brain glitches.

We humans screw up all the time - and my point is that we can't expect better. As it is, humanity's progress in just a few thousand years - intellectually, morally, technologically, philosophically - is astonishing, and yet we still berate ourselves for our flaws. Humanity as a whole has the attributes that we see in individual leaders and champions. That is, as a group we are driven perfectionists, constantly picking and prodding each other to perform better. This constant striving and competition makes humans beings both extraordinary and extraordinarily wearing.

Humans are extraordinary in nature, and extraordinary pains-in-the-arse. What do you do? Get up, bumble through another day. Hope for the best. This perfection malarkey is for idealists and theorists; it's not something found anywhere in nature.
When applied to the reality that human beings are, the concept of perfect means ... incomparable.
Not really.
Trump is incomparable to Bernie: neither of them are perfect.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

:lol: Really!? Taking the time to post to tell me this is ignoring me. What a toss-pot!
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »