Human imperfection.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

yiostheoy

Re: Human imperfection.

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:...
That's Buddhism. It is a world major religion. Not a philosophy.
Apart from not really having a 'God' or 'Gods'?
You cannot call Buddhism a philosophy. It is not based on reasoning and logic and rational thinking.

Buddhism is all bunch of Asian crap.

It started in India but even the Indians have more sense than to believe it so it migrated to Asia where it took hold like hotcakes.

Buddhism in an annihilation religion without gods, correct. Pure crap.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:You cannot call Buddhism a philosophy. It is not based on reasoning and logic and rational thinking.
Fair point and one that could apply to all religions. Although one could argue that it is logical and rational if one accepts its metaphysics, as with all religions.
As opposed to what?
It started in India but even the Indians have more sense than to believe it so it migrated to Asia where it took hold like hotcakes.
Not quite as it was the main state religion but various factors led to its decline.
As opposed to what, the Christian selective annihilation religion with its 'God'? As Buddhism claims eternal existence in the end but without the bowing and scraping that Christianity requires.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:You cannot call Buddhism a philosophy. It is not based on reasoning and logic and rational thinking.
Fair point and one that could apply to all religions. Although one could argue that it is logical and rational if one accepts its metaphysics, as with all religions.
As opposed to what?
Not quite as it was the main state religion but various factors led to its decline.
As opposed to what, the Christian selective annihilation religion with its 'God'? As Buddhism claims eternal existence in the end but without the bowing and scraping that Christianity requires.
I was not comparing Buddhism to other religions.

I was pointing out that it does not constitute a rational philosophy. It is merely nihilist crap.
Greta

Post by Greta »

yiostheoy wrote:
Greta wrote:More broadly, over evolutionary time scales Homo sapiens are just hominids not long out of the caves. We have always striven to grow and improve but it's a long road to anything that could even be mistaken for perfection.
That's Buddhism. It is a world major religion. Not a philosophy.
You illustrate my point. If rational ideas intersect with something Buddhists have claimed, I don't much mind. I'm just interested in the situation in reality - and I simply sketched an aspect of the human situation above. That's all. Is it Buddhism? Philosophy? Evolutionary biology? Sociology? Doesn't matter.

The reality I observe is that we humans are animals, with an influential "inheritance" of characteristics and impulses bequeathed by countless generations of our survivor forebears. Many of these, often automatic, processes within us are useful. Some, which were useful in the wild, are no longer helpful in modern society, most famously the fight-or-flight impulse. Sometimes we panic and go crazy. We say or do things that we wished we didn't say or do. We have brain glitches.

We humans screw up all the time - and my point is that we can't expect better. As it is, humanity's progress in just a few thousand years - intellectually, morally, technologically, philosophically - is astonishing, and yet we still berate ourselves for our flaws. Humanity as a whole has the attributes that we see in individual leaders and champions. That is, as a group we are driven perfectionists, constantly picking and prodding each other to perform better. This constant striving and competition makes humans beings both extraordinary and extraordinarily wearing.

Humans are extraordinary in nature, and extraordinary pains-in-the-arse. What do you do? Get up, bumble through another day. Hope for the best. This perfection malarkey is for idealists and theorists; it's not something found anywhere in nature.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote: This perfection malarkey is for idealists and theorists; it's not something found anywhere in nature.
You're right, nature doesn't deal with perfection, just survival, there is a difference.
Greta

Post by Greta »

thedoc wrote:
Greta wrote: This perfection malarkey is for idealists and theorists; it's not something found anywhere in nature.
You're right, nature doesn't deal with perfection, just survival, there is a difference.
I agree as long as humans are included in nature. We surely have nothing much to do with perfection either, aside from as an ideal. Then again, every animal has its perfectionist moments, aiming for the best possible swerve, pounce, shot, strike, bite and so on.

Nothing deals with actual perfection. There's always some chaos at some level of existence in all things.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Greta wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I agree as long as humans are included in nature. We surely have nothing much to do with perfection either, aside from as an ideal. Then again, every animal has its perfectionist moments, aiming for the best possible swerve, pounce, shot, strike, bite and so on.

Nothing deals with actual perfection. There's always some chaos at some level of existence in all things.
So, what do you think of art?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I was pointing out that it does not constitute a rational philosophy. It is merely nihilist crap.
What's nihilistic about Buddhism?
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk wrote:

What's nihilistic about Buddhism?
Oh jeeze ... yet another neophyte playing philosopher here.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:Oh jeeze ... yet another neophyte playing philosopher here.
Not a reply.

By-the-by, did you answer uwots question about what professional or academic qualifications you have with respect to Philosophy?
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:Oh jeeze ... yet another neophyte playing philosopher here.
Not a reply.

By-the-by, did you answer uwots question about what professional or academic qualifications you have with respect to Philosophy?
Google is your friend. Although if you had read any Philosophy lately that would have covered it. That was the oh jeeze part. That's why the neophyte Empirical observation.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

yiostheoy wrote: So, what do you think of art?
An imperfect representation of reality.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:Google is your friend. Although if you had read any Philosophy lately that would have covered it. That was the oh jeeze part. That's why the neophyte Empirical observation.
Goggle - http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

Tell me how Buddhism fits this bill?
Greta

Post by Greta »

yiostheoy wrote:So, what do you think of art?
Never, ever perfect. Not even when manufactured.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:Google is your friend. Although if you had read any Philosophy lately that would have covered it. That was the oh jeeze part. That's why the neophyte Empirical observation.
Goggle - http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

Tell me how Buddhism fits this bill?
Buddhism is not nihilism, that comes from an imperfect understanding of Buddhism.