Even this British forum wants you to use American English.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Even this British forum wants you to use American English.

Post by bobevenson »

If you type "flavour" or "colour," a squiggly red line appears under the word indicating you have made a spelling error.
mickthinks

Re: Even this British forum wants you to use American English.

Post by mickthinks »

:lol: No, it's your own choice of browser/operating system settings inserting those little red lines, you sap!
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

mickthinks wrote::lol: No, it's your own choice of browser/operating system settings inserting those little red lines, you sap!
Right, like the fucking British are going to let us take over their stupid software, ha-ha-ha!
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

No, like your American software is giving you the xenophobic experience you want, you goofus!
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

mickthinks wrote:No, like your American software is giving you the xenophobic experience you want, you goofus!
Oh, I'm sorry, it's all a big conspiracy, huh?
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

No, Bob, read my lips ...

Your American computer is setup to expect the American dialect.

That is why it flags proper British English spellings and grammar with warnings.

It's not us, it's you—you wally Yanker!
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:
mickthinks wrote:No, like your American software is giving you the xenophobic experience you want, you goofus!
Oh, I'm sorry, it's all a big conspiracy, huh?
Go back to the political forum where you belong.

PhilX
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

bobevenson wrote:
If you type flavour or colour a squiggly red line appears under the word indicating you have made a spelling error
And if I type flavor or color a squiggly red line also appears under the word indicating I have made a spelling error
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Bob. When it comes to using the tools of a computer I'm probably about as illiterate as they come but even I know that there is a setting in there somewhere which I can adjust to either British English or American English. My only problem is that if I wanted to change it I'd probably have to ring up one of my kids to tell me how to do it.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

mickthinks wrote:Your American computer is setup to expect the American dialect. That is why it flags proper British English spellings and grammar with warnings.
OK, what you're telling me is that this stupid British forum is letting America hijack its stupid software, like you can't even control your own fucking system anymore!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

bobevenson wrote:
mickthinks wrote:Your American computer is setup to expect the American dialect. That is why it flags proper British English spellings and grammar with warnings.
OK, what you're telling me is that this stupid British forum is letting America hijack its stupid software, like you can't even control your own fucking system anymore!
I never thought I'd come across a more complete techno-moron than myself, Bob, so you've landed a surprise on me. Do you also share my view that the remote control for the TV is a sinister device specifically designed to do your head in?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Obvious Leo wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
I never thought I'd come across a more complete techno-moron than myself, Bob, so you've landed a surprise on me. Do you also share my view that the remote control for the TV is a sinister device specifically designed to do your head in?
This is as good as a female customer who claimed she saw little green men crawling out of her cable box.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Obvious Leo wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Mr. Oblivious, and you do come by your name naturally, I guarantee you that PhilosophyNow could prevent an American takeover of its software if it were so inclined. Now, if you'd like to make a fucking bet, name the stakes, and we'll both put up our money and have an expert independent source make a ruling.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

It's not an American takeover of the site's software, you blithering idiot. It's your own fucking computer settings which determine what spelling you want to use and you can change them to suit yourself. You could probably even get translation software which turns all your inane utterings into Zwahili if you wanted to, which might even make them interesting and more comprehensible.