Even this British forum wants you to use American English.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Even this British forum wants you to use American English.

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bobevenson wrote:If you type "flavour" or "colour," a squiggly red line appears under the word indicating you have made a spelling error.
Moron.
Spelling checkers are machine local you fucking wanker.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Obvious Leo wrote:It's not an American takeover of the site's software, you blithering idiot. It's your own fucking computer settings which determine what spelling you want to use and you can change them to suit yourself. You could probably even get translation software which turns all your inane utterings into Zwahili if you wanted to, which might even make them interesting and more comprehensible.
But I assume you don't want to make a bet on the subject, correct?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

bobevenson wrote:But I assume you don't want to make a bet on the subject, correct?
No thanks, Bob. My guess is that even in Zwahili your utterances won't make any sense.
Greta

Post by Greta »

It's an endless issue for non-Americans of the Anglosphere - on a range of applications and devices. Often I find myself fixing up errant AmericaniZed zeds, which doesn't even make sense ... realize, realized, realizing, realization ... realism?? Not one of Webster's triumphs of simplification.

I think Webster's simplified English probably is best today in a multicultural world. Elegance must give way to pragmatism.

There's no point gatekeeping any more. The battle is lost; today there are squillions of native English speakers with a weak grasp of grammar and spelling. Meanwhile new English speakers have enough work to do with Webster's simplified version of English let alone learning the spellings used in the British Isles, Australia and New Zealand. One day, it will be akin to "ye olde English", alas alack.

Ill b goin nw. CU l8r!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

You're quite right, Greta. Languages evolve and both the spelling and the meanings of words evolve over time. I really don't know what all the fuss is about but I have a bit of sympathy for Queenslanders, who are not noted for their intellectual prowess. For some reason they still haven't figured out how to spell beer and call it XXXX instead.
Green

Post by Green »

What's the deal with my friends from across the pound, why are you so obsessed with the letter U? Knock it off!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Green wrote: why are you so obsessed with the letter U?
Either anal-obsessive or premature weaning would be my diagnosis.