General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

kriswest

Re: Insult competition.

Post by kriswest »

thedoc wrote:
kriswest wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Yes, it's happened before. Moderation without excuse or explanation, one of the mod's didn't like something.
The whole damn forum? I can see a thread or two but , what can cause such a loose cannon action? Pretty rude as well.
I'm not sure if they wiped a whole forum before, but they did wipe out a thread that I had started, and I thought was going very nicely. When I complained they let me know, in no uncertain terms, that it was their decision, and mere members had no say in it.

PS, don't be surprised if this post disappears.

And your's, as you are challenging the authority of the Mod's.
It sounds like prepuberty attitudes. Must be fairly young mods.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Obvious Leo wrote:Some of my best friends are pigs, uwot, and they will forgive me my metaphor.
Perhaps, but I don't think they'll take kindly to being compared to Mr Hammer.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

uwot wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote:Some of my best friends are pigs, uwot, and they will forgive me my metaphor.
I wouldn't even give Hex bitch the courtesy of calling him mister.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

uwot wrote:
I took the precaution of not consulting them on the matter because I suspect you may be right.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I wouldn't even give Hex bitch the courtesy of calling him mister.

PhilX
Well, given the nature of the thread, Mr Explorer, if ever I find myself in a situation where your opinion counts for shit, I promise to give a fuck.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Thank you all for all this material that we can use now and analyze and see why some insults are better than others.

Shall we ?

One category of insults uses a comparison with an animal who does not enjoy much respect.

What´s the point ? That the insulted party should realize that he is on the wrong track and that he should improve and say thank you to the brother who bothered to correct him ?

Pigs in "The Animal Farm" were smart, by the way.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

duszek wrote: Pigs in "The Animal Farm" were smart, by the way.
Pigs in the real world are smart too. They are amongst the most intelligent of all the mammals which makes the animal husbandry protocols adopted to rear them even more reprehensible.

All of the pigs in Orwell's story were created equal, if I recollect correctly, and yet some were created more equal than others. This sounds familiar.
duszek

Post by duszek »

I agree, Leo. Some people keep pigs as pets in their homes.
They can be trained to come to the trough only when their names are being called. That way there is no commotion and no pushing at feeding time.

What´s the point of showing lack of respect to other people ?
Why do some people need it ?
Do they hope to increase their self-esteem that way ?
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:I agree, Leo. Some people keep pigs as pets in their homes.
They can be trained to come to the trough only when their names are being called. That way there is no commotion and no pushing at feeding time.

What´s the point of showing lack of respect to other people ?
The Hex bitch certainly seems to think he needs it for his superiority complex (he can use every ounce since his ass was ingloriously kicked out of OPC).

PhilX
duszek

Post by duszek »

It could be that people who are fond of insulting and dissing other people are simply looking for the right match: someone who also like to do it.
Or: someone who likes abuse. Then we have an SM match.

Whereas other people look for a different match: cosy chatting and sharing of unpretencious insights.
Philosophy Explorer

duszek wrote:It could be that people who are fond of insulting and dissing other people are simply looking for the right match: someone who also like to do it.
Or: someone who likes abuse. Then we have an SM match.

Whereas other people look for a different match: cosy chatting and sharing of unpretencious insights.
I've always felt it was the basis for most of the debating here (the first type of match).

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote: What´s the point of showing lack of respect to other people ?
Some people believe that by putting others down they raise themselves up, they don't understand that an insult says more about the insulter than the insultee. I have seen the same in buying and selling, some people are not happy till they believe they have caused the other person a loss, somehow this makes the deal better for them.
duszek

Post by duszek »

This is a strange logic because the insulted party is not going to praise the insulter, he will insult the insulter himself to get even.

Is not self-esteem nourished from respect and praise coming from other people ?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote:This is a strange logic because the insulted party is not going to praise the insulter, he will insult the insulter himself to get even.

Yes it is a strange logic but it seems to be common among the general population, Scams and dishonest dealings are the result and they are far too common in this world. For some people making a buck is more important that respect and praise. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone were honest?
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote:
duszek wrote:This is a strange logic because the insulted party is not going to praise the insulter, he will insult the insulter himself to get even.

Yes it is a strange logic but it seems to be common among the general population, Scams and dishonest dealings are the result and they are far too common in this world. For some people making a buck is more important that respect and praise. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone were honest?
Sounds like a description of the Hex bitch.

PhilX