Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:... I plead guilty to being the wretched man as descried by St. Paul in Romans 7
I thought you said you were a pre-christian?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 pm
Nick_A wrote:... I plead guilty to being the wretched man as descried by St. Paul in Romans 7
You must have noticed that Nick is a huge fan of Paul. I always liked Ringo personally.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm You must have noticed that Nick is a huge fan of Paul. I always liked Ringo personally.
The word "ringo" in my language means "swaying", "rocking". The tree branches are "ringo" in the
wind, and a nice woman has a 'ringo' in her hip as she walks down the street.

In physics you would call it harmonic motion.

All Nick_A's role models are male. (Paul, Saul, Socrates.) I am wondering (without any proof and without any cause for serious insinuation) whether Nick_A is a latent homo, or else he is confused and pissed off (which is obvious) because he is homo and he bible says that's not good.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

There is a progression one has to complete before becoming concert pianist. First they must have the wish to become one. Second they must learn how to become one rather than imagining they are one. Third with the appropriate practice they can become one. Advancing to become a Christian Having experienced they are the wretched man, a pre-Christian can advance long the progression necessary to become Christian and acquire the quality of consciousness necessary follow in the precepts of Christ.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm
You must have noticed that Nick is a huge fan of Paul. I always liked Ringo personally.
Some guy you liked told you to take your drum and beat it and you've been hung on Ringo ever since.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:There is a progression one has to complete before becoming concert pianist. First they must have the wish to become one. Second they must learn how to become one rather than imagining they are one. Third with the appropriate practice they can become one. Advancing to become a Christian Having experienced they are the wretched man, a pre-Christian can advance long the progression necessary to become Christian and acquire the quality of consciousness necessary follow in the precepts of Christ.
Always an excuse not to be Christian eh!

No-one is asking you to be Christ just be a Christian.

Given you talk about religion being 'secular' why are you following and quoting one of the instigators of what you decry?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:37 pm
Nick_A wrote:There is a progression one has to complete before becoming concert pianist. First they must have the wish to become one. Second they must learn how to become one rather than imagining they are one. Third with the appropriate practice they can become one. Advancing to become a Christian Having experienced they are the wretched man, a pre-Christian can advance long the progression necessary to become Christian and acquire the quality of consciousness necessary follow in the precepts of Christ.
Always an excuse not to be Christian eh!

No-one is asking you to be Christ just be a Christian.

Given you talk about religion being 'secular' why are you following and quoting one of the instigators of what you decry?
Who do I quote that denies our collective slavery the human condition and a conscious source for our existence? If you don't know what a Christian is, just admit it. It won't hurt. Trust me.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta asks

What obligations do you demand for your planned patriarchal Christian caliphate?

Translation: what quality of obligations would voluntarily have to be accepted to sustain a functioning free society?

Your attitude has made you morally bound to sustaining societal conflict. I agree with Simone Weil and appreciate human obligations to refer both to supplying the needs of the body and of the soul as opposed to inflicting blind progressive indoctrination in service to the Great Beast. Consider the first need of the soul. Could secular progressives respect it ? No. It would deny it in favor of equality with a secular progressive to enforce it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/questionofgod/voices/weil.html
The fundamental obligation towards human beings is subdivided into a number of concrete obligations by the enumeration of the essential needs of the human being. Each need is related to an obligation, and each obligation to a need.

The needs in question are earthly needs, for those are the only ones that man can satisfy. They are needs of the soul as well as of the body; for the soul has needs whose non-satisfaction leaves it in a state analogous to that of a starved or mutilated body.

The principal needs of the human body are food, warmth, sleep, health, rest, exercise, fresh air.

The needs of the soul can for the most part be listed in pairs of opposites which balance and complete one another.

The human soul has need of equality and of hierarchy.

Equality is the public recognition, effectively expressed in institutions and manners, of the principle that an equal degree of attention is due to the needs of all human beings. Hierarchy is the scale of responsibilities. Since attention is inclined to direct itself upwards and remain fixed, special provisions are necessary to ensure the effective compatibility of equality and hierarchy.

The human soul has need of consented obedience and of liberty.

Consented obedience is what one concedes to an authority because one judges it to be legitimate. It is not possible in relation to a political power established by conquest or coup d'etat nor to an economic power based upon money.

Liberty is the power of choice within the latitude left between the direct constraint of natural forces and the authority accepted as legitimate. The latitude should be sufficiently wide for liberty to be more than a fiction, but it should include only what is innocent and should never be wide enough to permit certain kinds of crime.

The human soul has need of truth and of freedom of expression.

The need for truth requires that intellectual culture should be universally accessible, and that it should be able to be acquired in an environment neither physically remote nor psychologically alien. It requires that in the domain of thought there should never be any physical or moral pressure exerted for any purpose other than an exclusive concern for truth; which implies an absolute ban on all propaganda without exception. It calls for protection against error and lies; which means that every avoidable material falsehood publicly asserted becomes a punishable offence. It calls for public health measures against poisons in the domain of thought.

But, in order to be exercised, the intelligence requires to be free to express itself without control by any authority. There must therefore be a domain of pure intellectual research, separate but accessible to all, where no authority intervenes.

The human soul has need of some solitude and privacy and also of some social life.

The human soul has need of both personal property and collective property.

Personal property never consists in the possession of a sum of money, but in the ownership of concrete objects like a house, a field, furniture, tools, which seem to the soul to be an extension of itself and of the body. Justice requires that personal property, in this sense, should be, like liberty, inalienable.

Collective property is not defined by a legal title but by the feeling among members of a human milieu that certain objects are like an extension or development of the milieu. This feeling is only possible in certain objective conditions.

The existence of a social class defined by the lack of personal and collective property is as shameful as slavery.

The human soul has need of punishment and of honour.

Whenever a human being, through the commission of a crime, has become exiled from good, he needs to be reintegrated with it through suffering. The suffering should be inflicted with the aim of bringing the soul to recognize freely some day that its infliction was just. This reintegration with the good is what punishment is. Every man who is innocent, or who has finally expiated guilt, needs to be recognized as honourable to the same extent as anyone else.

The human soul has need of disciplined participation in a common task of public value, and it has need of personal initiative within this participation.

The human soul has need of security and also of risk. The fear of violence or of hunger or of any other extreme evil is a sickness of the soul. The boredom produced by a complete absence of risk is also a sickness of the soul.

Translation by Richard Rees. Used by permission from Pendle Hill Publications (www.pendlehill.org).
What is it about the secular progressive mindset that finds such satisfaction in its own ignorance?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm
Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 pm I thought you said you were a pre-christian?
Some guy you liked told you to take your drum and beat it and you've been hung on Ringo ever since.
Does that mean that some guy named Paul played you like a stringed instrument and you've been hung up on him ever since?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 pm Greta asks

What obligations do you demand for your planned patriarchal Christian caliphate?

Translation: what quality of obligations would voluntarily have to be accepted to sustain a functioning free society?

Your attitude has made you morally bound to sustaining societal conflict. I agree with Simone Weil and appreciate human obligations to refer both to supplying the needs of the body and of the soul as opposed to inflicting blind progressive indoctrination in service to the Great Beast. Consider the first need of the soul. Could secular progressives respect it ? No. It would deny it in favor of equality with a secular progressive to enforce it.

The fundamental obligation towards human beings is subdivided into a number of concrete obligations by the enumeration of the essential needs of the human being. Each need is related to an obligation, and each obligation to a need.

The needs in question are earthly needs, for those are the only ones that man can satisfy. They are needs of the soul as well as of the body; for the soul has needs whose non-satisfaction leaves it in a state analogous to that of a starved or mutilated body.

The principal needs of the human body are food, warmth, sleep, health, rest, exercise, fresh air.

The needs of the soul can for the most part be listed in pairs of opposites which balance and complete one another.

Equality is the public recognition, effectively expressed in institutions and manners, of the principle that an equal degree of attention is due to the needs of all human beings. Hierarchy is the scale of responsibilities. Since attention is inclined to direct itself upwards and remain fixed, special provisions are necessary to ensure the effective compatibility of equality and hierarchy.

Consented obedience is what one concedes to an authority because one judges it to be legitimate. It is not possible in relation to a political power established by conquest or coup d'etat nor to an economic power based upon money.

Liberty is the power of choice within the latitude left between the direct constraint of natural forces and the authority accepted as legitimate. The latitude should be sufficiently wide for liberty to be more than a fiction, but it should include only what is innocent and should never be wide enough to permit certain kinds of crime.

The need for truth requires that intellectual culture should be universally accessible, and that it should be able to be acquired in an environment neither physically remote nor psychologically alien. It requires that in the domain of thought there should never be any physical or moral pressure exerted for any purpose other than an exclusive concern for truth; which implies an absolute ban on all propaganda without exception. It calls for protection against error and lies; which means that every avoidable material falsehood publicly asserted becomes a punishable offence. It calls for public health measures against poisons in the domain of thought.

But, in order to be exercised, the intelligence requires to be free to express itself without control by any authority. There must therefore be a domain of pure intellectual research, separate but accessible to all, where no authority intervenes.

The human soul has need of some solitude and privacy and also of some social life.

Personal property never consists in the possession of a sum of money, but in the ownership of concrete objects like a house, a field, furniture, tools, which seem to the soul to be an extension of itself and of the body. Justice requires that personal property, in this sense, should be, like liberty, inalienable.

Collective property is not defined by a legal title but by the feeling among members of a human milieu that certain objects are like an extension or development of the milieu. This feeling is only possible in certain objective conditions.

The existence of a social class defined by the lack of personal and collective property is as shameful as slavery.

Whenever a human being, through the commission of a crime, has become exiled from good, he needs to be reintegrated with it through suffering. The suffering should be inflicted with the aim of bringing the soul to recognize freely some day that its infliction was just. This reintegration with the good is what punishment is. Every man who is innocent, or who has finally expiated guilt, needs to be recognized as honourable to the same extent as anyone else.

The human soul has need of disciplined participation in a common task of public value, and it has need of personal initiative within this participation.

The human soul has need of security and also of risk. The fear of violence or of hunger or of any other extreme evil is a sickness of the soul. The boredom produced by a complete absence of risk is also a sickness of the soul.

Translation by Richard Rees. Used by permission from Pendle Hill Publications (www.pendlehill.org).
What is it about the secular progressive mindset that finds such satisfaction in its own ignorance?
You are being a dick. You never even gave me a chance to agree or disagree with the above but simply assumed I'd reject it all (as if anyone is going to reject basic truisms like "The human soul has need of some solitude and privacy and also of some social life").

Last might was very humid and I only had a couple of hours' sleep and couldn't be bothered with games. Either speak with me as if I am a sentient human being or forget it.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 pm Greta asks

You are being a dick. You never even gave me a chance to agree or disagree with the above but simply assumed I'd reject it all (as if anyone is going to reject basic truisms like "The human soul has need of some solitude and privacy and also of some social life").

Last might was very humid and I only had a couple of hours' sleep and couldn't be bothered with games. Either speak with me as if I am a sentient human being or forget it.
Greta, when you write things like "What obligations do you demand for your planned patriarchal Christian caliphate?" how am I supposed to believe you will be open minded to accepting obligations furthering human consciousness and opening to the experience of conscience? Everything I've experience with the secular progressive mindset indicates it wants nothing else than societal control acquired through indoctrination. Consider this obligation Simone mentions:

Isn't it obvious that universities dominated by secular progressives are only concerned with indoctrination? The Secular intolerance thread proved this. The creation of "snowflakes" reveals the power of indoctrination.

If we are honest we can admit that society as a whole structured on humanism without the help of grace is incapable of feeling and acting upon the value of voluntary obligations because egoism is too strong.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 amEverything I've experience with the secular progressive mindset indicates it wants nothing else than societal control acquired through indoctrination.
In truth, you lack useful experience with a "secular" or any other mindset. To learn from experience one needs to actually pay attention to ideas in others' heads rather than being locked in your own echo chamber reverberating with your mangled interpretations of Weil and Needleman.

Please go away and try again when you are capable of adult discussion.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:Who do I quote that denies our collective slavery the human condition and a conscious source for our existence? ...
You quote Paul who was responsible for what you call a 'secular religion'.
If you don't know what a Christian is, just admit it. ...
I know what a Christian is, it is someone who acts through love.
It won't hurt. ...
Doesn't hurt a bit.
Trust me.
Not as far as I could throw you as you have proved yourself a kissing liar terrified of the slap of truth.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 am
Nick_A wrote:Who do I quote that denies our collective slavery the human condition and a conscious source for our existence? ...
You quote Paul who was responsible for what you call a 'secular religion'.
If you don't know what a Christian is, just admit it. ...
I know what a Christian is, it is someone who acts through love.
It won't hurt. ...
Doesn't hurt a bit.
Trust me.
Not as far as I could throw you as you have proved yourself a kissing liar terrified of the slap of truth.
Do you distinguish between secular love and Christian love?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:Do you distinguish between secular love and Christian love?
No, it's love.

Still hearing a big fat nothing about what you are proposing to teach our kids?