Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:...
The design is: it’s considered to be a place of rejects, of those tossed off other forms, a place to not pay much attention to. Not necessarily a safe place, but a place for misfits to call home. ...
No it's not and you won't find such a design. The idea is that it's a philosophical pub with regulars and a passing trade. That we allow a fair amount of moderating laxity here is because the interweeb is full of stricter philosophy forums and we'd prefer posters to moderate their own threads by reporting off-topic posts, etc but they don't seem to wish to do this instead they whinge and complain on the open forum, a banning offense in my opinion. That every now and then we get an influx of the banned loons seems to be an aspect of the medium but they soon piss-off and this forum seems to be lasting longer than most even if it has a low active membership.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:Admirable, however not in line with the founder's intent.
Untrue, as is Seleucus's claim.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Seleucus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:49 pmWhy are you here?
I want some people to talk to about ideas.
You are remembering ancient times. Now the greatest joy in what is called philosophy occurs during the destruction of ideas. The joy of experiencing the question has been replaced by the satisfaction obtained through ridicule in defense of answers. It is the modern way and a sure sign of progress. You have to get with the times and forget the joy of sharing the paradox and strive for the satisfaction of its destruction.
“One must not think slightingly of the paradoxical…for the paradox is the source of the thinker’s passion, and the thinker without a paradox is like a lover without feeling: a paltry mediocrity.” Soren Kierkegaard
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:01 pm
Walker wrote:Admirable, however not in line with the founder's intent.
Untrue, as is Seleucus's claim.
If this were a place to discuss ideas, ideas would not be censored.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

That would depend if they had any philosophical bent or not and whether they were posted in the correct place I think. Or at least that's how I used to mod here and I think it still is the case by and large. Although there seems to be one new hard and fast rule and that is paedophilia is not to be discussed anymore as we had a glut of that a while back and the very high-up called time on such discussions.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I’ll start a new topic.

Let’s see if any philosophical analysis appears in interpreting reality.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 pm I’ll start a new topic.

- So far, just a question. No analysis. No ideas. No thinking.

- Add 1 personal attack. (That didn't take long.)

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=343456#p343456
viewtopic.php?f=7&p=343461#p343461
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm That would depend if they had any philosophical bent or not and whether they were posted in the correct place I think. Or at least that's how I used to mod here and I think it still is the case by and large. Although there seems to be one new hard and fast rule and that is paedophilia is not to be discussed anymore as we had a glut of that a while back and the very high-up called time on such discussions.
I wonder who that would have been talking such? But these mods have the right idea. Everyone knows that philosophers are a bunch of pedophilia tolerating pederasts, link. Even still, it is our duty to act normal, and follow the tradition, link.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 pm I’ll start a new topic.

- So far, just a question. No analysis. No ideas. No thinking.

- Add the logic fallacy of attacking the source, rather than the content.
- Add another personal attack.
- No philosophical perspective in sight concerning the selling of body parts, or abortion.

(Looking good for the Seleculus observation)
Last edited by Walker on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Seleucus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm That would depend if they had any philosophical bent or not and whether they were posted in the correct place I think. Or at least that's how I used to mod here and I think it still is the case by and large. Although there seems to be one new hard and fast rule and that is paedophilia is not to be discussed anymore as we had a glut of that a while back and the very high-up called time on such discussions.
I wonder who that would have been talking such? But these mods have the right idea. Everyone knows that philosophers are a bunch of pedophilia tolerating pederasts, link. Even still, it is our duty to act normal, and follow the tradition, link.
Lots of postings disappearing lately.

Conclusion: this is a hotbed of pervs.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 pmYou are remembering ancient times.
And you are talking bollocks.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 pmNow the greatest joy in what is called philosophy occurs during the destruction of ideas.
Which pretty much sums up the Socratic method.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Seleucus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 pm
Trying to drag philosophical ideas and discussion out of folks is more hassle than it's worth.

You just get a bunch of questions and insults, and fallacies of logic.

Effort just piddles away into irrelevancies.

Enough fun for today. Maybe time will conjure some philosophy in the threads.

:D
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

The shared mutual love of wisdom which really is the attraction of philosophy has devolved into the satisfactions obtained through rationalized self justification and the destruction of all that opposes it. The process is called progress.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:- So far, just a question. No analysis. No ideas. No thinking.

Wasn't exactly a philosophical post tho' was it and there appears to have been analysis and thinking in that it was pointed out that the claim in the quote appears to be an unsubstantiated claim by an obviously biased source.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:Lots of postings disappearing lately.

Conclusion: this is a hotbed of pervs.
Or that what they posted had no philosophical merit or was posted in the wrong section.