Bobevenson - Is he as he is, intrinsically? Or has this forum created him?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ForCruxSake

Bobevenson - Is he as he is, intrinsically? Or has this forum created him?

Postby ForCruxSake » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm new here and I've been reading up on my share of the interesting threads, mainly to expand my learning. I expected this forum to be a place of valued thought, great thinking, delivered on a plate of golden grace. Years ago, I thought university would be like this: people coming together to learn and discuss, really chew over the fat of all subjects academic, only to find it was full of young people, my age, trying to get stoned, get pissed and get laid for the first time. Academia came second, third or fourth to the aforementioned. Like university, this forum has its share of those concerned with actual philosophical discussion or questions they'd like answered... but it has just as great a share of morons!

Without making too a great study of bobevenson, or the others like him here, and I admit to using him as a general example: I can see there was a point at which he really had something to say. Debate would follow, turn into heated argument which would then descend into the equivalent of a street fight, littered with expletives, with no point being made other than to knock the opponent out.

I find it hard to believe that bobevenson, and others like him here, started out with anything other than good intentions? Is it the forum that's to blame? Is it that he came here with a genuine intention to discuss philosophy intelligently and found himself turning into a pitbull in the darker corners of each thread... encouraged or baited by other posters? Or was he just a jerk to start with?

Worthy of discussion? I'm curious to know.

bobevenson

Re: Bobevenson - Is he as he is, intrinsically? Or has this forum created him?

Postby bobevenson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:27 pm

ForCruxSake wrote: I find it hard to believe that bobevenson, and others like him here, started out with anything other than good intentions? Is it the forum that's to blame? Is it that he came here with a genuine intention to discuss philosophy intelligently and found himself turning into a pitbull in the darker corners of each thread... encouraged or baited by other posters? Or was he just a jerk to start with?

In my case, of course, as a recipient of divine inspiration, guidance and intervention, I do find myself fighting fire with fire in lieu of serious discussion.

Arising_uk

Postby Arising_uk » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:35 pm

ForCruxSake wrote:...

I find it hard to believe that bobevenson, and others like him here, started out with anything other than good intentions? Is it the forum that's to blame? Is it that he came here with a genuine intention to discuss philosophy intelligently and found himself turning into a pitbull in the darker corners of each thread... encouraged or baited by other posters? Or was just a jerk to start with?

Well it could be a bit of both with many and we do have our share of great morons and quite a few who've been banned pretty much everywhere else on the web, bob and bill for example. As for bob specifically, he's here to punt his prophethood - no I'm not joking - and his fictional political party and pretty much has always responded to any critique badly as he's not here to philosophize about his thoughts but to proselytize.
With respect to the forum itself, yes it can be a bear-pit but you'll also find some open-minded bright people to discuss most things with and they generally have some valid critiques and a reasonable grasp of what's been said in Philosophy. But we have a very high moderation threshold here so we also have more than our fair share of complete and utter internuts who cannot get a voice anywhere else and are attracted by the fact that the forum has the magazine name attached so they think they're getting publicity, unfortunately for them there is pretty much no connection other than that a few of us subscribe to the mag and the bulk of mag readers stay well away from here due to the bear-pit nature. What does make us fairly original is the light moderation tho' - unlike the tyrants found on many forums - and that we keep the academic philosophy voice very low even tho quite a few could do the verse and chapter if they wished. As a result we have a very low membership and generally see off many but it's fairly active in its own way and funnily enough those who leave in a high-dudgeon cursing us tend to return after visiting other forums as they get a freedom here not found on many forums. The analogy we used to use when I was a mod was that this is a pub, slighty seedy but on the whole welcoming of all sorts but you'd better have a thick-skin and know how to use the ignore function. About the only thing we ban for is threats by PM and if we do ban you then you're never coming back but of course you can under another name but you'd better not make it obvious as then its an IP ban and if you manage to do it again and still get identified the mods tend to get very petty and spend time completely removing all your posts from the boards regardless if that means removing others posts as well. Hope this gives an idea of the place. Oh! And the mods would prefer you to moderate your threads as they work for free so if you think a post is off-topic, abusive, etc, on one of your threads then tell them and they'll tend to side with you. Oh! And they tend not to give explanations for their actions :)

Philosophy Explorer

Postby Philosophy Explorer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:02 am

ForCruxSake wrote:I'm new here and I've been reading up on my share of the interesting threads, mainly to expand my learning. I expected this forum to be a place of valued thought, great thinking, delivered on a plate of golden grace. Years ago, I thought university would be like this: people coming together to learn and discuss, really chew over the fat of all subjects academic, only to find it was full of young people, my age, trying to get stoned, get pissed and get laid for the first time. Academia came second, third or fourth to the aforementioned. Like university, this forum has its share of those concerned with actual philosophical discussion or questions they'd like answered... but it has just as great a share of morons!

Without making too a great study of bobevenson, or the others like him here, and I admit to using him as a general example: I can see there was a point at which he really had something to say. Debate would follow, turn into heated argument which would then descend into the equivalent of a street fight, littered with expletives, with no point being made other than to knock the opponent out.

I find it hard to believe that bobevenson, and others like him here, started out with anything other than good intentions? Is it the forum that's to blame? Is it that he came here with a genuine intention to discuss philosophy intelligently and found himself turning into a pitbull in the darker corners of each thread... encouraged or baited by other posters? Or was he just a jerk to start with?

Have you checked the other forums he used to be on?

PhilX

ForCruxSake

Postby ForCruxSake » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:37 am

Arising_uk wrote:As for bob specifically, he's here to punt his prophethood - no I'm not joking - and his fictional political party and pretty much has always responded to any critique badly as he's not here to philosophize about his thoughts but to proselytize.
With respect to the forum itself, yes it can be a bear-pit but you'll also find some open-minded bright people to discuss most things with and they generally have some valid critiques and a reasonable grasp of what's been said in Philosophy. But we have a very high moderation threshold here so we also have more than our fair share of complete and utter internuts who cannot get a voice anywhere else and are attracted by the fact that the forum has the magazine name attached so they think they're getting publicity, unfortunately for them there is pretty much no connection other than that a few of us subscribe to the mag and the bulk of mag readers stay well away from here due to the bear-pit nature. What does make us fairly original is the light moderation tho' - unlike the tyrants found on many forums - and that we keep the academic philosophy voice very low even tho quite a few could do the verse and chapter if they wished. As a result we have a very low membership and generally see off many but it's fairly active in its own way and funnily enough those who leave in a high-dudgeon cursing us tend to return after visiting other forums as they get a freedom here not found on many forums. The analogy we used to use when I was a mod was that this is a pub, slighty seedy but on the whole welcoming of all sorts but you'd better have a thick-skin and know how to use the ignore function. About the only thing we ban for is threats by PM and if we do ban you then you're never coming back but of course you can under another name but you'd better not make it obvious as then its an IP ban and if you manage to do it again and still get identified the mods tend to get very petty and spend time completely removing all your posts from the boards regardless if that means removing others posts as well. Hope this gives an idea of the place. Oh! And the mods would prefer you to moderate your threads as they work for free so if you think a post is off-topic, abusive, etc, on one of your threads then tell them and they'll tend to side with you. Oh! And they tend not to give explanations for their actions :)

This says more about the forum than the moron (-does that rhyme?)... and is incredibly illuminating. I like the analogy of the seedy pub... All sticky floor and coasters that have seen better days... Or in this case, all sticky thoughts and posters that have seen better days. Thank you for a valuable response. :)

ForCruxSake

Postby ForCruxSake » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Have you checked the other forums he used to be on?

No, I just took a little journey through his post history and he seems to have become progressively... 'dottier'. (I'm trying to be polite.)

I'm not sure I could handle investigating his web presence on other forums, or if I really want to. I was more interested in how the forum plays a part in indulging, encouraging, or forging that 'dottiness'.

Arising_uk

Postby Arising_uk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:55 pm

ForCruxSake wrote:... I like the analogy of the seedy pub... All sticky floor and coasters that have seen better days... Or in this case, all sticky thoughts and posters that have seen better days. ...
Well I'd not be so harsh as some of the old soaks still have an interesting tale or two in them and the passing trade chucks up interesting characters now and then. Take yourself for example. :)

ForCruxSake

Postby ForCruxSake » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:... I like the analogy of the seedy pub... All sticky floor and coasters that have seen better days... Or in this case, all sticky thoughts and posters that have seen better days. ...

Well I'd not be so harsh as some of the old soaks still have an interesting tale or two in them and the passing trade chucks up interesting characters now and then. Take yourself for example. :)

I'm interesting? That's kind of you to say, as long as it's not interesting in the way a dead body might be!

I think what I like about the forum is the general level of intelligence and ability to communicate. I tend to be put off by storms. I can get horribly sea sick on boats. I've only been here a few days and have been mildly 'see-sick'. Sick of seeing the occasional aggressively moronic post. It's put me off posting on some threads. I don't fear attack. I just don't have time to rally against such things. My time's better spent actually engaging positively with others or learning from them.

I wonder why no one else has anything to say on this thread? Maybe it's because you've already provided a good answer. :)

Hobbes' Choice

Postby Hobbes' Choice » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 pm

ForCruxSake wrote:I'm new here and I've been reading up on my share of the interesting threads, mainly to expand my learning. I expected this forum to be a place of valued thought, great thinking, delivered on a plate of golden grace. Years ago, I thought university would be like this: people coming together to learn and discuss, really chew over the fat of all subjects academic, only to find it was full of young people, my age, trying to get stoned, get pissed and get laid for the first time. Academia came second, third or fourth to the aforementioned. Like university, this forum has its share of those concerned with actual philosophical discussion or questions they'd like answered... but it has just as great a share of morons!

The thing about Bob...
This is the last place that people have to listen to him. There is not more liberal and minimally moderated Forum than this one. All the US ones have long ago banned him for preaching, being rude, or just being plain stupid.
This is Bob's last chance to make an impact before he dies; to spew his crackpot ideas, and his bile about the UK.
He has no sense of irony. This British based Forum is his last refuge, though he hates everything British.

If the intention to spread the word about Bob is a good one; if the intention to denigrate every other country on earth is a good one; then to not even stop their but to criticise his own people and government - if that too is a good intention then Bob is full of good intentions.

But in truth Bob is just a twisted, boring, old, worn-out, out-of-touch, borderline psychotic git.

bobevenson

Postby bobevenson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 pm

And that, ForCruxSake, is why a prophet has to fight fire with fire instead of carrying on a serious discussion.

Harbal

Postby Harbal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Bob is just trying to get attention, like the rest of us, it's just that he's more desperate to get it than most of us.
Last edited by Harbal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobevenson

Postby bobevenson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:23 pm

A prophet is never desperate.

Harbal

Postby Harbal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

bobevenson wrote:A prophet is never desperate.

Well I think we all kind of knew you weren't really a prophet, bob, it's just that no one wanted to hurt your feelings by telling you.

bobevenson

Postby bobevenson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Please, you can debate a prophet, but don't try to bait one.
Last edited by bobevenson on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philosophy Explorer

Postby Philosophy Explorer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Harbal wrote:
bobevenson wrote:A prophet is never desperate.

Well I think we all kind of knew you weren't really a prophet, bob, it's just that no one wanted to hurt your feelings by telling you.

Oh no! We have to hear about his mythical credentials again.

PhilX

Return to “The Lounge”