Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philofra

Re: Suggestions Box

Post by philofra »

I can't recall if PN has done an issue on the philosophy of history. Some think of history as a science.

Is history dialectical and have meaning? I think the subject could make an interesting issue. I am trying to imagine a cover for it; perhaps one illustrating a number of historical events.

There are two really big philosophers of history that an issue on history could highlight, Hegel and Popper.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

philofra wrote:I can't recall if PN has done an issue on the philosophy of history. Some think of history as a science.

Is history dialectical and have meaning? I think the subject could make an interesting issue. I am trying to imagine a cover for it; perhaps one illustrating a number of historical events.

There are two really big philosophers of history that an issue on history could highlight, Hegel and Popper.
That's a good idea! I'll put it on the list.
spike

Post by spike »

Issue 80 was about the human condition. Maybe now an issue should be done about its opposite, the social condition - the phenomenology of the spirit.
spike

Post by spike »

You know what's missing on this site, a News index, about what's new and current in philosophy. On it should be posted death notices of philosophers, the latest being Denis Dutton: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/01/arts/ ... obituaries

Another suggestion I have is that more free articles should be posted on 'Articles in Philosophy Now' to engage readers and comments. After all, this is the Internet which is about being engaged and engaging people, and interacting with readers.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

spike wrote:...Another suggestion I have is that more free articles should be posted on 'Articles in Philosophy Now' to engage readers and comments. After all, this is the Internet which is about being engaged and engaging people, and interacting with readers.
:lol: And there was me thinking its mainly about sex, gossip, shopping and scams.

Why not subscribe to the mag, its pretty cheap and gives you online access to all the articles then you can post about them on the forum.
spike

Post by spike »

Arising_uk, I noticed that you were a smart ass before!
spike

Post by spike »

Why can't the forum get authors to comment and expand on their articles in the magazine?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

spike wrote:Arising_uk, I noticed that you were a smart ass before!
Are you saying this is not what predominates on the Interweeb?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

spike wrote:Why can't the forum get authors to comment and expand on their articles in the magazine?
If more actually subscribed to the magazine then maybe they could afford to pay them to. So you a subscriber yet?
spike

Post by spike »

AUK:
So you a subscriber yet?
I guess you don't pay attention. We have gone through this before. I AM A SUBSCRIBER!! :twisted:
spike

Post by spike »

If more actually subscribed to the magazine then maybe they could afford to pay them to.
To bad more didn't subscribe to the magazine. If they did, and read it, the level of intelligence here would go way up. There would be more discriminating discussions on this forum.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

spike wrote:I guess you don't pay attention. We have gone through this before. I AM A SUBSCRIBER!! :twisted:
First I've heard of it but GREAT! I look forward to your posts about the articles in it.
Thundril

Post by Thundril »

Surely it ought to be possible to subscribe to the on-line magazine without having to deal with all the mutilated forestry and the postal delivery diesel?
Especially for folks who don't actually have an address.
John

Post by John »

Thundril wrote:Surely it ought to be possible to subscribe to the on-line magazine without having to deal with all the mutilated forestry and the postal delivery diesel?
It's available on Kindle if you have one.
Dunce

Post by Dunce »

John wrote:
Thundril wrote:Surely it ought to be possible to subscribe to the on-line magazine without having to deal with all the mutilated forestry and the postal delivery diesel?
It's available on Kindle if you have one.
There's also a Kindle app on Android mobile phones.