Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

Re: Suggestions Box

Post by RickLewis »

Blaggard wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing an article on quantum mechanics interpretations, if there was one it is certain I would subscribe to the magazine in a heart beat. I does like physics, and if it's the philosophy of science it makes me all giddy. ;)
Here are a few:
http://philosophynow.org/issues/7/Wante ... d_or_Alive
http://philosophynow.org/issues/30/David_Deutsch
http://philosophynow.org/issues/30/The_ ... id_Deutsch
http://philosophynow.org/issues/45/Bohr ... t_and_Zeno

We probably should do more. I don't think we've done an overview article yet giving space to all the competing quantum mechanics interpretations. I'd also be interested to know what people think of the Many Worlds interpretation now in the light of there now being an actual, functioning, commercially-available quantum computer (even though it apparently isn't terribly good). I'd also be interested to read a defence of the Copenhagen Interpretation which seems to get a lot of flack from people proposing other interpretations, but which I've heard is still the most commonly-held interpretation despite that.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

spike wrote:I once suggested that Philosophy Now do an issue on architecture. Here is how the subject might be presented: http://rosswolfe.wordpress.com/2013/09/ ... more-12208
I think this is a good suggestion. We've now got as far as discussing it at an editorial meeting here, and we probably will do this at some stage. So far we don't have any good articles on this awaiting publication, but we are now keeping a look-out for some. Thanks for the link, as well.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

RickLewis wrote:
Blaggard wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing an article on quantum mechanics interpretations, if there was one it is certain I would subscribe to the magazine in a heart beat. I does like physics, and if it's the philosophy of science it makes me all giddy. ;)
Here are a few:
http://philosophynow.org/issues/7/Wante ... d_or_Alive
http://philosophynow.org/issues/30/David_Deutsch
http://philosophynow.org/issues/30/The_ ... id_Deutsch
http://philosophynow.org/issues/45/Bohr ... t_and_Zeno

We probably should do more. I don't think we've done an overview article yet giving space to all the competing quantum mechanics interpretations. I'd also be interested to know what people think of the Many Worlds interpretation now in the light of there now being an actual, functioning, commercially-available quantum computer (even though it apparently isn't terribly good). I'd also be interested to read a defence of the Copenhagen Interpretation which seems to get a lot of flack from people proposing other interpretations, but which I've heard is still the most commonly-held interpretation despite that.
Cool thanks for the links, subscription is in the post. :)

There you go that's how you sell a magazine. ;)

Incidentally MWI is mental masturbation and eternally unprovable and no different from Copenhagen, all it does is put QM in a framework that is local and real, this sort of framework is forbidden by Bell's-ASpect experiment which you might like to google, but people are deeply unsatisfied by non local real and non real interpretations, including famously Schrödinger and Einstein.

"is the moon still there when we are not looking at it?"

Albert Einstein.

"God does not play dice with the Universe!"

Albert Einstein

"Stop telling God what to do with his dice Einstein!"

Niels Bohr.

"My only regret is I will not live to see the demise of quantum mechanics."

Erwin Schrödinger.

I've posted several threads about the debate that was eventually resolved at the Solvey conference in the 30s, you should have a quick look.

Eisntein is in the middle looking a bit put out as he's just been pwned by Dirac, Pauli, Heisenberg et al top right and Bohr is middle right looking surprisingly staid considering he's just won an intellectual victory that would define 20th century technology.

Marie Curie being the only woman there sitting to the right of Einstein and the old guard of Lorentz also to the right of Einstein. Also present are Max Planck and Schrodinger looking rather disgruntled top middle.

Marie Curie won two Nobel prizes, we have come on a long way since then. :)
morganna swish

Post by morganna swish »

RickLewis wrote:This thread is for any suggestions you might have for improving Philosophy Now magazine.

If there is anything in the mag that you like and would like more of, or anything that you don't like and would prefer less of, then this is a good place to say so (though of course you could always email me instead.)

Also, if you have any suggestions for future themed issues, that would be great. The theme of the current issue (Issue 63) is 'philosophy and education', the previous one was on personal identity and time, and the next will be on 'philosophy & popular culture'. I'd love some more ideas of themes for future issues.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
WARNING - Kinda Off topic. This is not a suggestion for the PN magazine. However, rather than have umpteen threads about the Forum, why not keep PN Forum 'suggestions' in the one place. All the better to view, collate and not repeat ?

PN Forum contributors are given advice to manage any thread they start; and to try to keep on topic. Posts can be reported for being 'Off'; complaints can be made against individual posters.
This can be perceived as 'whining' or judged to be an unreasonable request.

Also, transparency of moderation is useful. As someone else suggested, give some warning before whole posts and threads are wiped out. This includes some fascinating insights and funnies. They are deleted and cannot be reclaimed.

Contributors, who value this forum, have made all kinds of suggestions, all over the joint...
Isn't it about time, for admin to offer some of their thoughts and any action to be taken - as previously promised ?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

morganna swish wrote: WARNING - Kinda Off topic. This is not a suggestion for the PN magazine. However, rather than have umpteen threads about the Forum, why not keep PN Forum 'suggestions' in the one place. All the better to view, collate and not repeat ?
Excellent idea. I'll set one up right now. It'll be a separate sticky thread in the "About the Magazine" section, initially. Possibly it should go into one of the other forum sections instead?

I'm trying to work out how to copy your other suggestions/comments into that thread.... Or maybe you could just re-post them there?
morganna swish

Post by morganna swish »

RickLewis wrote:
morganna swish wrote: WARNING - Kinda Off topic. This is not a suggestion for the PN magazine. However, rather than have umpteen threads about the Forum, why not keep PN Forum 'suggestions' in the one place. All the better to view, collate and not repeat ?
Excellent idea. I'll set one up right now. It'll be a separate sticky thread in the "About the Magazine" section, initially. Possibly it should go into one of the other forum sections instead?

I'm trying to work out how to copy your other suggestions/comments into that thread.... Or maybe you could just re-post them there?
Oh, thank you very much indeedy. Wow.
If the sticky Magazine suggestion box is in the 'About the Magazine' section, then what thinkest thou on having the sticky Forum suggestion box in...ah...'About the Forum' section :idea:

Or sumfink like that...seems a but clunky to have 2 separate spaces...hmm...
Suppose it depends on any renovations that might be forthcoming...?
C'mon give us a hint !
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

morganna swish wrote: Oh, thank you very much indeedy. Wow.
If the sticky Magazine suggestion box is in the 'About the Magazine' section, then what thinkest thou on having the sticky Forum suggestion box in...ah...'About the Forum' section :idea:
Sounds good to me.
Greylorn Ell

Let's help Rick Lewis become rich and famous.

Post by Greylorn Ell »

What gratuitous advice can you offer Rick Lewis that will lead to Philosophy Now becoming the most important and most widely read journal on the planet?

I'll begin with the proposal that he loosen the grip of philosophers on philosophy by introducing the ideas of intelligent non-philosophers with outside perspectives, who occasionally discuss philosophically relevant ideas.

He might start by toddling off down the road to Oxford one afternoon to join Sir Roger Penrose in a suitable pub, for tea. While buying Roger a few teas he might elicit an article in which R.P. explains, for intelligent non-physicists, why he believes that the three essential ingredients for our universe are matter/energy, mathematics, and consciousness.

After the last tea of the day he might get the names of other philosophically relevant non-philosophers and later make it a point to send them all a free subscription to Phil.Now including paper copies of the version featuring the Penrose essay, requesting their feedback. Publish the shit out of that feedback.

Before the essay comes out, inform everyone on this forum and explain that the Penrose essay will be available to P.Now subscribers. Then follow up with a barrage of philosophically relevant ideas from non-philosophers in a variety of fields. Introduce controversy. Let the journal itself work like a slow-moving forum, but with a higher level of idea exchange.

Greylorn
spike

Re: Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Post by spike »

I don't recall an issue ever done about Health. There are certainly big philosophical issues there.

You can say that health issues have helped integrate and globalize the world. As the world has grown more interconnected Health has become more a dominant factor.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Once you have destroyed evidence it can't be used in court

If you try to reproduce the evidence, the defense will say "Prove that is the real evidence."
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

RickLewis wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:54 am This thread is for any suggestions you might have for improving Philosophy Now magazine.

If there is anything in the mag that you like and would like more of, or anything that you don't like and would prefer less of, then this is a good place to say so (though of course you could always email me instead.

'Philosophical Haiku'. Much less. It always amounts to 'I can't be bother to read this philosopher seriously but having skimmed through some stuff on Wicki i think it sounds like a load of rubbish'.
-1-

Post by -1- »

RickLewis wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:54 am This thread is for any suggestions you might have for improving Philosophy Now magazine.

If there is anything in the mag that you like and would like more of, or anything that you don't like and would prefer less of, then this is a good place to say so (though of course you could always email me instead.
What you mean by "Philosophy Now Magazine". What is that. This is a forum. Is there a magazine? With the same title? Wow. Talk about coincidences.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

It pays for this forum.
Malcolm S

Post by Malcolm S »

Hi guys,

I just clicked on a link from Facebook to a Philosophy Now article and got this message: "You’ve read one of your four complimentary articles for this month..."

This paywall may never be a problem for me, and I understand that publications need money to exist and flourish. But there are people, many people, with an interest in philosophy who do not have the means to subscribe to this, and the many other publications, that are behind paywalls.

NB: Giacomo Puccini's opera, La bohème, is about four starving, and freezing, bohemian friends sharing a Paris garret; Rodolfo, a poet; Marcello, an artist (in which category I fall); Schaunard, a musician; and Colline, a philosopher.

I'm just pointing out a problem, as a perceive it. I do not know the solution.

Malcolm S