Issue 99 - God, Belief and Disbelief

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Issue 99 - God, Belief and Disbelief

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote: Hey, thedoc. Don't worry about it. I believe you.

Don't worry about Hobbes: he's just looking for a fight.

Me, I just ignore him nowadays.
You can too.
Thankyou.

I know that, but sometimes I can't resist giving a response.

I do have him on ignore, but I do check occasionally to see what he is saying. I Probably shouldn't.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: I've loved Beethoven for 40 years wank-face.
"If ya can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all".
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote:
You could follow your own advice.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I've loved Beethoven for 40 years wank-face.
I'm sure he would be honoured to have been loved by you, Hobbes, but what's your point? And what's a "wank face"?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I've loved Beethoven for 40 years wank-face.
And what's a "wank face"?
According to the urban dictionary:

'Top Definition
Wank Face
A complete and total wanker, two faced. Bastard.
Can you believe what he did?! What a wank face!'

' wankface
The involuntary gurning face contortions one makes while having a wank.
My girlfriend said she liked to see me wank but was disturbed by my hiddious wankface.'
('hiddious' isn't my spelling).
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: According to the urban dictionary:

'Top Definition
Wank Face

' wankface
My girlfriend said she liked to see me wank but was disturbed by my hiddious wankface.'
Well I never! I thought he'd just made it up. :)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: According to the urban dictionary:

'Top Definition
Wank Face

' wankface
Well I never! I thought he'd just made it up. :)
i just remembered your posts, and your choices of avatar the the phrase more or less suggested itself.
Having heard a definition (thanks Vegtax) it seems to fit perfectly with a feckless, time waster like yourself.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:
Immanuel Can wrote: Hey, thedoc. Don't worry about it. I believe you.

Don't worry about Hobbes: he's just looking for a fight.

Me, I just ignore him nowadays.
You can too.
Thankyou.

I know that, but sometimes I can't resist giving a response.

I do have him on ignore, but I do check occasionally to see what he is saying. I Probably shouldn't.
Well, you'll notice that the conversation goes sideways immediately. And that's his point: to turn every conversation into an exchange of vilification or a inquiry into the scatological, and to prevent real thought from emerging from anything.

My counsel is this: "Abstain from the indiscriminate dispersal of nacreous spheroids in porcine precincts." :wink:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
thedoc wrote:
You could follow your own advice.
Unfortunately there is a strong temptation to "Reply in Kind", so your posts often receive much bitterness and vitriol.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote: My counsel is this: "Abstain from the indiscriminate dispersal of nacreous spheroids in porcine precincts." :wink:
That's easy for you to say, but difficult for me to do.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:
Immanuel Can wrote: My counsel is this: "Abstain from the indiscriminate dispersal of nacreous spheroids in porcine precincts." :wink:
Yeah, he's counting on that.

He tries to find the point at which you'll feel tender, and then he pokes it furiously to make you jump. He doesn't actually care what you say...at least, not much. The anger, the bitterness, the spite, the rudeness...they're all just really cries of "Notice me, notice me." And sadly, it seems that using vitriol and obscenity is the only way he can imagine to get anyone to talk to him at all.

When I had the chance, I talked with him privately, with no audience to increase the perceived stakes for him. I tried to convince him he was capable of better: that his ideas could have merit, that he could be a reasonable person, and that as often as he was, he could see that people would actually listen to him. I tried to suggest that he would actually get more if he was fair and polite. Alas, he just bit the hand that was trying to feed him (not that it hurt much -- he has no teeth :wink: ). So I used the viciously-gummed extremity to wave goodbye to him, and left it at that.

You can go to battle with him, but If you do, you get more of the same, because by doing so you will give him exactly what he is craving. (If you doubt me, just check back in any strand in which he's participated, and just watch how he "ups the ante" the minute someone tries to pull away from him: he's attention-starved, and has no idea how to get more of it except by being abusive.)

It's a cliche, but in this case I think "Starve the troll" is the relevant axiom. Maybe one day he'll come around: but until he does, I'd just leave him alone.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: i just remembered your posts, and your choices of avatar the the phrase more or less suggested itself.
So you were thinking about my posts and avatar and "wank face" just popped into your head? Yes, I think that's pretty consistent with my impression of you.
(thanks Vegtax)
Well done, Hobbes, I know how difficult you find expressing gratitude, it's encouraging to see you make an effort. I suspect you've got yourself a copy of Social Etiquette For Dummies, I can't quite imagine you coming up with the idea of saying thanks all on your own.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Yeah, he's counting on that.

He tries to find the point at which you'll feel tender, and then he pokes it furiously to make you jump. He doesn't actually care what you say...at least, not much. The anger, the bitterness, the spite, the rudeness...they're all just really cries of "Notice me, notice me." And sadly, it seems that using vitriol and obscenity is the only way he can imagine to get anyone to talk to him at all.

When I had the chance, I talked with him privately, with no audience to increase the perceived stakes for him. I tried to convince him he was capable of better: that his ideas could have merit, that he could be a reasonable person, and that as often as he was, he could see that people would actually listen to him. I tried to suggest that he would actually get more if he was fair and polite. Alas, he just bit the hand that was trying to feed him (not that it hurt much -- he has no teeth :wink: ). So I used the viciously-gummed extremity to wave goodbye to him, and left it at that.

You can go to battle with him, but If you do, you get more of the same, because by doing so you will give him exactly what he is craving. (If you doubt me, just check back in any strand in which he's participated, and just watch how he "ups the ante" the minute someone tries to pull away from him: he's attention-starved, and has no idea how to get more of it except by being abusive.)

It's a cliche, but in this case I think "Starve the troll" is the relevant axiom. Maybe one day he'll come around: but until he does, I'd just leave him alone.
I believe we have somewhat different attitudes toward an internet forum, but I get on a forum for several reasons. One is to fine posters like you that I am relieved to find sane, sensible and polite posts that I can read and sometimes have something to add. Then there are other posters who only provide entertainment via the vitriol and venom they post, and sometimes I just have a little fun poking them to see them dance and spout vitriol. I should probably be a bit more selective but sometimes I can't resist just having a little fun. I don't take a forum as seriously as some seem to, after all this an anonymous site and almost no-one really knows who I am. I'm probably just a bit more trusting than I should be, but that's the way I was brought up.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Nice, that took me a few minutes to figure it out, but that is a good variation on a Bible verse, Matthew 7:6.