Issue 99 - God, Belief and Disbelief

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Issue 99 - God, Belief and Disbelief

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote: He used to walk home every day, about a mile and a half, while simultaneously reading a scholarly book, a novel or a collection of essays; he became famous for that, and nobody could figure out how he could walk so briskly and read at the same time.
Doesn't sound all that difficult, once I was rollerskating, (it wasn't very busy), and reading a book at the same time, it was a book of poetry by Dr Zhivago. That was a long time ago, and I would be half afraid to go skating now, it's been a long time since I was on skates of any kind.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:
Immanuel Can wrote: He used to walk home every day, about a mile and a half, while simultaneously reading a scholarly book, a novel or a collection of essays; he became famous for that, and nobody could figure out how he could walk so briskly and read at the same time.
Doesn't sound all that difficult, once I was rollerskating, (it wasn't very busy), and reading a book at the same time, it was a book of poetry by Dr Zhivago. That was a long time ago, and I would be half afraid to go skating now, it's been a long time since I was on skates of any kind.
Well, it seemed like an achievement to many of us. Certainly it was more than I could do. Maybe if I was not walking, but on really smooth skates and moving very, very slowly...
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Well, it seemed like an achievement to many of us. Certainly it was more than I could do. Maybe if I was not walking, but on really smooth skates and moving very, very slowly...
Wasn't moving all that slowly, but anyway. I grew up in Somerset county in Pa. so walking on uneven ground was second nature to me, no sidewalks where I lived.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:
Doctor Zhivago is a fictional character. Fictional characters don't write poetry.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Doctor Zhivago is a fictional character. Fictional characters don't write poetry.
That is probably true, but the book I was reading was "The Poems of Dr. Zhivago".

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4205326?se ... b_contents
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Doctor Zhivago is a fictional character. Fictional characters don't write poetry.
That is probably true, but the book I was reading was "The Poems of Dr. Zhivago".

Yeah, I wasn't worrying about it. :wink: I figured you meant something like that.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Doctor Zhivago is a fictional character. Fictional characters don't write poetry.

Yeah, I wasn't worrying about it. :wink: I figured you meant something like that.
That is one of the reasons I bought and was reading the book, I had seen the movie and knew that Dr. Zhivago was a fictional character.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:
Immanuel Can wrote:
thedoc wrote:

That is one of the reasons I bought and was reading the book, I had seen the movie and knew that Dr. Zhivago was a fictional character.
Obviously at the time you were too occupied with rollerskating to know what the fuck you were supposed to be reading.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Immanuel Can wrote:
Obviously at the time you were too occupied with rollerskating to know what the fuck you were supposed to be reading.
You can't admit that you were wrong, so you make up something else to be critical of.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
You can't admit that you were wrong, so you make up something else to be critical of.
You were wrong.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
You were wrong.
I said I was reading a book while rollerskating and I provided a link proving that the book existed. Where am I wrong?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
You were wrong.
I said I was reading a book while rollerskating and I provided a link proving that the book existed. Where am I wrong?
Hey, thedoc. Don't worry about it. I believe you.

Don't worry about Hobbes: he's just looking for a fight.

Me, I just ignore him nowadays.

You can too.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
thedoc wrote:
You were wrong.
You are talking bollocks.
You said you were reading a book "BY: Dr Zhivago.
This is because you don't know what the fuck you were talking about until you googled it.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: This is because you don't know what the fuck you were talking about until you googled it.
Similar to the way you googled Beethoven in another thread, you mean?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: This is because you don't know what the fuck you were talking about until you googled it.
Similar to the way you googled Beethoven in another thread, you mean?
I've loved Beethoven for 40 years wank-face.