What is more important, Intellect or Experience?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonemotion

What is more important, Intellect or Experience?

Post by reasonemotion »

The best philosophy of life comes from experience?

What if a person has extensive experience and learns nothing from it.

Does that mean the intellect is more important because it allows a person the ability to analyze and learn from an experience.

If a person reads extensively, does that make a person intellegent? or

is balance a necessity in all this? :?:
Impenitent

Re: What is more important, Intellect or Experience?

Post by Impenitent »

"...the ability to form beliefs, in contrast to having sensations and emotions, was a matter of inference. The belief that bread nourishes is an inference from the constant conjunction of the ingestion of bread with nourishment. In what is now called the problem of INDUCTION, Hume argued that this inference is not a deductive inference, because the proof of the conclusion is not guaranteed by the truth of the premises, and any proof based on experience is itself an inductive inference, making it thus a circular proof. Hume's conclusion is a skeptical one. There is no rational justification for causal reasoning."

http://traiger.net/publications/Hume.html

-Imp
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

You need intellect to make the best use of your experience.

You need experience to make the best use of your intellect.

But any fool can get experience, but if they have a poor intellectual capacity they will not grow with that experience.

So the limiting factor is Intellect, and thus in a sense it is more important.
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

chaz wyman wrote:You need intellect to make the best use of your experience.

But any fool can get experience, but if they have a poor intellectual capacity they will not grow with that experience.

I beg to differ and maybe unfairly as I did neglect (again) to include another aspect ie. Emotional Intelligence.

EQ as you all are most probably familiar with is your ability to use both your emotions and cognitive skills in your life. Empathy, intuition, creativity, flexibility, resilience, coping, integrity.

I see this as EQ gets you through life vs IQ gets you through school. :|
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

intellect for me is the weight of the power of the psyche to deal with the world.

Intellect is not in contrast with experience. Intellect is the summary of past experience and how that experience was treated, where its treatment includes such things as sensitivity of the mind and processing power and the skills of traditions of transmitting, using and making knowledge. Without a language, a huge bunch of experience leaves you knowing a lot of zeroes in other people's eyes. Without social context knowledge you won't be able to impress people with it which is the basic way of making them actually do something about the knowledge and remember it. And without knowing how to format the experience, you won't give others the opportunity to decode it into mutual knowledge or be able to understand how you should use it in a given situation.

So the question could be: is the weight of past experience more important than knowing the present situation directly?

It's much easier to instantiate, meaning to avoid it becoming abstract and situationless.
Wyatt Debble

Post by Wyatt Debble »

reasonemotion wrote:The best philosophy of life comes from experience? What if a person has extensive experience and learns nothing from it. Does that mean the intellect is more important because it allows a person the ability to analyze and learn from an experience. If a person reads extensively, does that make a person intellegent? or is balance a necessity in all this? :?:

Sensory input does require understanding, otherwise one might as well be a captive insect watching a television set, lacking little meaningful interpretation of the changing pixels on the screen and the speaker diaphragm vibrations. But OTOH, an intellective template needs sensory content to process -- an empty shell, no matter how complex its functional structure, doesn't even contain a flow of noise to either discern into various things and relations, or organize into a life. If experience refers to occurrences that are sorted and discriminated to at least a minor extent - being associated with memory patterns, or just an awareness that something is even present, then likely processes of understanding have already done some significant humping on sense input.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

reasonemotion wrote:I see this as EQ gets you through life vs IQ gets you through school. :|
I think this EQ has as much validity as IQ, i.e. very little.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonemotion wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:You need intellect to make the best use of your experience.

I beg to differ and maybe unfairly as I did neglect (again) to include another aspect ie. Emotional Intelligence.

EQ as you all are most probably familiar with is your ability to use both your emotions and cognitive skills in your life. Empathy, intuition, creativity, flexibility, resilience, coping, integrity.

I see this as EQ gets you through life vs IQ gets you through school. :|
You cannot 'differ' and then not even counter what I said.

EQ is not part of the question.
Wyatt Debble

Post by Wyatt Debble »

reasonemotion wrote:I beg to differ [that intellect is more important?] [...] I see this as EQ gets you through life vs IQ gets you through school. :|

How, in your view, would emotional intelligence thus be championing or supporting experience, or giving it a boost towards winning the contest? Are you contending that everything about EI would be learned rather than innate? Or like Daniel Goleman, that people are born with broad EI conceptions that facilitate their acquiring of narrower, emotional competencies, with the latter capabilities being what are learned and enhanced through practice?

IF half innate and half acquired / developed, it's not clear that this would distinguish emotional intelligence much from divisions of understanding that would sort, organize, and identify sensory input; enable work skills and knowledge; and support language, reflective thought, and abstract reasoning. Since each specialized area would seem to need an innate "start-up" kit or operating template, or a single collective one serving the bunch, for virgin processing and organizing of data. Thenceforth modifying / augmenting themselves over time with those received / encountered world and social related events; and dealing with the growing relationships discerned and theorized about in a vast memory accumulation, and further invented strategies serving this or that purpose.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

1. the power or faculty of the mind by which one knows or understands, as distinguished from that by which one feels and that by which one wills; the understanding; the faculty of thinking and acquiring knowledge.
2. capacity for thinking and acquiring knowledge, especially of a high or complex order; mental capacity.
3. a particular mind or intelligence, especially of a high order.
4. a person possessing a great capacity for thought and knowledge.
5. minds collectively, as of a number of persons or the persons themselves.
Ref: Dictionary.com
From the above, intellect has the capacity to increase and refine the path of experience.
In contrast, note instinct which guide for example, migratory birds or animals to fly the same route on an annual basis.
As such, intellect is more important than experience, however one must be aware of its limitations and double-edged sword factor.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

reasonemotion wrote:What is more important, Intellect or Experience?
IMPORTANT FOR WHAT?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Both are important and one can persue one until one gets slightly fed up with it and then indulge in the other one and then back again in the first one e cosí via.

So:

I read about psychology and try to think about the theories presented to me and then a moment arrives when I do not feel like believing all this and would like to verify on my own.
So I mingle with people and observe and take notes and remember the theories that I had read about and this inspires me to check certain things.

I am not so very much interested in psychology but many people are so I took this as an example.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Mr Attofishpi

For anything.

Is intellect or experience more important for finding a suitable girlfriend ?
Is intellect or experience more important for finding the right drink for oneself at a party ?
Is intellect or experience more important for finding the best book for the summer vacation ?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

duszek wrote:Is intellect or experience more important for finding a suitable girlfriend ?
A girlfriend suitable for what? (lol)
duszek wrote:Is intellect or experience more important for finding the right drink for oneself at a party ?
Experience.
duszek wrote:Is intellect or experience more important for finding the best book for the summer vacation ?
Experience.
duszek

Post by duszek »

attofishpi wrote:
duszek wrote:Is intellect or experience more important for finding a suitable girlfriend ?
For intellectual conversation of course, so that one has someone to talk to on a regular basis and does not get depressed and lonely and takes to drinking and ends up in a gutter.
Thundril

Post by Thundril »

duszek wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
For intellectual conversation of course, so that one has someone to talk to on a regular basis and does not get depressed and lonely and takes to drinking and ends up. . .
at a party, with no idea how to find the right drink!. :roll: