What is belief?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

A Human

Re: What is belief?

Post by A Human »

creativesoul wrote:It's unacceptable, given the context, to focus upon the form of my responses to you. That is to conflate my reports with what I'm reporting upon. My reports require metacognition. What I'm reporting upon does not. Our ability to become aware of what I'm reporting upon requires metacognition. What I'm reporting upon does not. It does not follow from the fact that some of my reports could be said to follow your form that all belief does. It also does not follow from the fact that my reports include the use of "not" and "cannot" that all belief is required to be based upon, use, and/or be about what you've called the "digital" not.
Right, it does not follow from your reporting of your understandings you have now.

This is totally agreed to.
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

A Human wrote:
creativesoul wrote:It's unacceptable, given the context, to focus upon the form of my responses to you. That is to conflate my reports with what I'm reporting upon. My reports require metacognition. What I'm reporting upon does not. Our ability to become aware of what I'm reporting upon requires metacognition. What I'm reporting upon does not. It does not follow from the fact that some of my reports could be said to follow your form that all belief does. It also does not follow from the fact that my reports include the use of "not" and "cannot" that all belief is required to be based upon, use, and/or be about what you've called the "digital" not.
Right, it does not follow from your reporting of your understandings you have now.

Good. Everything after the word follow is superfluous and a bit redundant.
A Human

Post by A Human »

creativesoul wrote:
A Human wrote:

Yes, very exactly, that was the point I was making here.
A Human

Post by A Human »

A Human wrote:
creativesoul wrote:
A Human wrote:

Yes, very exactly, that was the point I was making here.
This is very important, Creativesoul, when the point being made is so far and above the discussion itself, and the person replied to who still doesn't understand the point and yet continues to complain about being unaware of this issue that was noticed by the other observers, the point proves itself in that response you've made.

Oops. Just admit it Creativesoul, or continue with the Ijustmakeupshitasigoalongandhopeitstickssoul you normally do.
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

I suppose that just because all statements presuppose truth, it doesn't necessarily have to be the case that a speaker believes their own statements.

Anyone else interested in talking sensibly about thought/belief???
osgart

Post by osgart »

the power of ideas and concepts whether they are real or not is driven by belief. Many of the concepts and ideas we have exist only in our inner world. They only become worthy if they ring true in our hearts minds and in reality. Belief takes faith. To believe in something worthy we must hold up standards to judge concepts and ideas. Those standards come from our value perceptions and what we know is true and real. A well founded belief can transcend reality. An erroneous belief can leave us disillusioned or enslaved and trapped. Belief is often rooted in knowing and often times it is rooted in something other than knowing. Blind faith is dangerous. We need to be educated in the two realities of the objective and the subjective. The objective reality is physical existence. The subjective reality is the world of the heart mind and will. Many things we depend on and believe come from the heart or affect the heart solely and in objective reality their is no evidence for it. Thats when we are relying on our hearts alone and how we are affected. Thats where you become aware of spiritual reality ; in the heart alone.