4 kinds of things

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jaded Sage

4 kinds of things

Post by Jaded Sage »

There is stuff we know we know. Like the price of a dollar cheeseburger.

There is stuff we know we don't know. Like who will win the next presidental election.

There is stuff we don't know we don't know. By definition I cannot give an example.

There is stuff we don't know we know. This, if it exists, is the most fascinating of the four. I imagine it is something like intuition. What do you think?
Hobbes' Choice

Re: 4 kinds of things

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Jaded Sage wrote:There is stuff we know we know. Like the price of a dollar cheeseburger.

There is stuff we know we don't know. Like who will win the next presidental election.

There is stuff we don't know we don't know. By definition I cannot give an example.

There is stuff we don't know we know. This, if it exists, is the most fascinating of the four. I imagine it is something like intuition. What do you think?
What do I think?

I think if you want to rip off Slavoj Zizek then have the decency to quote him.

1) known knows
2) known unknowns
3) unknown unknowns
4) unknown knowns

And 4 is the most interesting. These represent cultural and tacit knowledge and endemic assumptions, unconscious beliefs; things taken for granted than we are not immediately conscious that we are applying them to what we think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQpczc8mGg

http://www.lacan.com/zizekrumsfeld.htm
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

I came up with that a few years ago. I must be smart. Admittedly, he is more concise than I am.

So what do you think of unknown knowns, or stuff that we know but don't know we know (I think that matches up).
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Jaded Sage wrote:There is stuff we know we know. Like the price of a dollar cheeseburger.

Now I've seen some of your post, don't think you have a job giving very much.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

HexHammer wrote:

Now I've seen some of your post, don't think you have a job giving very much.
I don't understand what you're asking. You're saying you want me to type some more?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Jaded Sage wrote:I don't understand what you're asking. You're saying you want me to type some more?
You have a very poor preception.
Typically there's not very bright people in low wage job. What what good is more of the same garbage?
Skip

Post by Skip »

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool, shun him;
He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him.
He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep, wake him.
He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise, follow him. - Confucius (attributed)

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. - Donald Rumsfeld

Both are more elegantly phrased.
And, for the things you know but don't know that you know, there is always hypnosis or past life regression.
Just saying.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Skip wrote:He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool, shun him;
He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him.
He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep, wake him.
He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise, follow him. - Confucius (attributed)

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. - Donald Rumsfeld

Both are more elegantly phrased.
And, for the things you know but don't know that you know, there is always hypnosis or past life regression.
Just saying.
..yearh ..not too bright.

In the Dark Ages the church just KNEW that the Earth was the center of the universe, and burned all those damned heretics that said otherwise.

All the doctors just KNEW that blood letting was good for you, along with a good jug of quicksilver.

..besides they just KNEW that thsoe viciouvs temptresses was witches with witch marks and burned them at the stake!

This link viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16218 shows that tbieter just knows that Yves Simon is a brillian philospher, and has written brilliant books about free will. He and all the other retards believe in this blatant nonsense!!!!!

Being aware of own ignorance is irrelevant if the wise delude himself with wrong knowledge, like all of you tards!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I always tell people, when they think they've figured me out, of the gulf between thinking they know, and knowing (they know). Therein lies a distinction between the philosopher, and the non-philosopher.
Skip

Post by Skip »

If you're born knowing nothing and go through life knowing nothing and die knowing nothing, you may be a philosopher and wonderfully humble, but I doubt you get much done.

(Um... Dalek Prime? Are there really that many people determined to figure you out? )
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote:If you're born knowing nothing and go through life knowing nothing and die knowing nothing, you may be a philosopher and wonderfully humble, but I doubt you get much done.

(Um... Dalek Prime? Are there really that many people determined to figure you out? )
Not just about me, really. I merely used it as an example. But yeah, there are a lot of people out there with too much time on their hands, and not enough curiosity to dwell on anything deeper than people aka busybodies. I'm sure you've met some, Skip.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I'm just glad I'm not interesting enough for anyone to analyze.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

What about the stuff we think we know but don't know? It's almost like the stuff we don't know we don't know except it's a lot more likely to cause us trouble when it changes into stuff that we know we didn't know but thought we did know.
dionisos

Post by dionisos »

Harbal wrote:What about the stuff we think we know but don't know? It's almost like the stuff we don't know we don't know except it's a lot more likely to cause us trouble when it changes into stuff that we know we didn't know but thought we did know.
I think it would be a sub-category of stuff we don’t know we don’t know, you could have many reasons to not knowing you don’t know, don’t thinking at all about the thing is one, and thinking you know the thing when you don’t is another.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I once told a cousin I had the family bible, with my ancestor's margin notes, which I was going to transcribe for her. I was certain of this. So I opened the one I had, thinking it was the 18th century one. Well, it was a 19th century bible, with no notes. Yet I would have sworn I had the earlier one. Even personal memory can be deceiving, I recognized.