4 kinds of things

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Beauty

Re: 4 kinds of things

Post by Beauty »

There is stuff we don't know we know. I agree, but it's not just intuition but more, like I am not aware of how good a cook I am, how good I clean my home, how good an artist I am, how good I am at poetry, how good a person I am etcetera.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Jaded Sage wrote:There is stuff we don't know we know. This, if it exists, is the most fascinating of the four. I imagine it is something like intuition. What do you think?
The fourth one is contradictory in my opinion, so it's not an option.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:There is stuff we don't know we know. This, if it exists, is the most fascinating of the four. I imagine it is something like intuition. What do you think?
The fourth one is contradictory in my opinion, so it's not an option.
This is a perfectly reasonable and useful idea, particularly in the field of comparative anthropology which we could all learn a lot from.
Unknown Knowns are those things which we are not aware we know such as the entire world of things taken for granted and never acknowledged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQpczc8mGg
Terrapin Station

Hobbes' Choice wrote:This is a perfectly reasonable and useful idea, particularly in the field of comparative anthropology which we could all learn a lot from.
Unknown Knowns are those things which we are not aware we know such as the entire world of things taken for granted and never acknowledged.
For one, I don't buy that there are unconscious mental phenomena.

Re Zizek's comments, "What we don't know that we know is that it's also a movie about fascists resisting the Jewish takeover" . . . at which point he offers no explanation how the heck that's supposed to make any sense. How do we know that it's a move about "fascists resisting the Jewish takeover" if don't know (that we know) that?

Maybe someone would give an example that I'd buy, but I doubt it.

Also, "unknown unknown" is simply redundant, by the way. "Unknown" does the same thing. (But I suppose just because I don't at all buy the idea of an "unknown known.")
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

There is no such a thing as a known unknown.

"Who will win the next election?" is a question. It's true answer(s) is(are) unknown. That much cannot be known until the election takes place. We know that there will be an answer, should the election take place. However, the results of a yet to have happened event do not exist except as an imagined possibility. What's unknown here are the results of an event that has yet to have taken place. Those events are not known. Thus, to say that they're known unknowns is to spout meaningless gibberish.

Saying "I know that I do not know 'X'" is not about X. It's about the speaker. 'X' is what's unknown though. Talk about the speaker is not talk about 'X'. The speaker is not 'X'. Here's the problem:The first "I know" begins an unnecessarily confused way to talk. Drop it and end up with "I do not know 'X'".
ken

Post by ken »

When I came to understand stuff like 'Who I am', 'Why we are here', 'What the meaning of Life is', 'How we come to be who we are', and 'Where we are heading', etc., etc., then I realized I already knew these answers and all the other answers to all the meaningful questions in Life, but that not until that realization did I know I already knew the answers previously. None of us are conscious of this fact, that is until we learn how to find the answers to these questions. The actual reason we do not consciously know what is unconsciously known yet is also a realization in of itself, which is self-explanatory and also already known, unconsciously. The stuff most people do not yet know they know is already intuitively known, and is only revealed from the teacher with-in, i.e., in-tuition.
Terrapin Station

creativesoul wrote:There is no such a thing as a known unknown.
I don't have a problem with the idea of a "known unknown."

A simple example is this: when I get change--coins, I throw them into a jar at home. I take the jar to a change machine occasionally to get bills back instead. When I do this, I don't know how much money is in the jar. But I know there is a definite quantity of money in the jar (or we could say a definte number of each type of coin). So I know that there is something that I don't know.
Terrapin Station

ken wrote:
When I came to understand stuff like 'Who I am', 'Why we are here', 'What the meaning of Life is', 'How we come to be who we are', and 'Where we are heading', etc., etc., then I realized I already knew these answers and all the other answers to all the meaningful questions in Life, but that not until that realization did I know I already knew the answers previously. None of us are conscious of this fact, that is until we learn how to find the answers to these questions. The actual reason we do not consciously know what is unconsciously known yet is also a realization in of itself, which is self-explanatory and also already known, unconsciously. The stuff most people do not yet know they know is already intuitively known, and is only revealed from the teacher with-in, i.e., in-tuition.
Why would you believe that you already knew the answers, but you "just didn't realize" that you knew the answers? What would count as evidence of that?
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

There is also another thing about stuff we don't know we know, although we may feel intuitively that we know, yet we don't implement it so much in our life, because just our awareness makes us feel validated sometimes, or the reason could also be that we are not confident enough because it is not validated by others the potential/talent in us and so it does not go far, or we don't realize that we should implement it much, or we are not aware of the necessity that we should implement it and so forth. All said and done, we deserve what we get because I feel that there is justice in life overall.
Terrapin Station

Could you give a specific example of that, Beauty?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:This is a perfectly reasonable and useful idea, particularly in the field of comparative anthropology which we could all learn a lot from.
)
Jesus christ. How the fuck do you work that out?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:Could you give a specific example of that, Beauty?
Do it for yourself.
Acknowledge that you finds things beautiful, as well you shall.
It is the unknown know that define that beauty, and inform you as to why you find one thing ugly and another attractive; for which there is not rational basis.

There is no rational objective reason why you might react differently to each of these images on the matter of attractiveness/repulsiveness. And yet you do.
Terrapin Station

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
)
Jesus christ. How the fuck do you work that out?
Well, what would count as evidence for it? As soon as we know about anything that would be mental phenomena, it's no longer unconscious. It's rather conscious mental phenomena.
Terrapin Station

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Could you give a specific example of that, Beauty?
Do it for yourself.
Acknowledge that you finds things beautiful, as well you shall.
It is the unknown know that define that beauty, and inform you as to why you find one thing ugly and another attractive; for which there is not rational basis.

There is no rational objective reason why you might react differently to each of these images on the matter of attractiveness/repulsiveness. And yet you do.
(Beauty was the name of the poster, by the way. ;-))

Anyway, where does the part that I knew something that I didn't know enter into this? I make an assessment of beauty in each case--I know that when it occurs. So where is the unknown (known) part?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Anyway, where does the part that I knew something that I didn't know enter into this? I make an assessment of beauty in each case--I know that when it occurs. So where is the unknown (known) part?
No you do not. Your values of beauty are already in place before you saw these images. You made no assessment, you reacted. So the phenomenon - the mental activity was preconscious. And in fact most of what we do is of that nature.