What is truth?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

creativesoul

Re: What is truth?

Post by creativesoul » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 am

Nice discussion you two...

How would the consideration that truth is necessarily presupposed within all thought/belief and statements thereof affect/effect the focus?

Verification/falsification methods presuppose truth by virtue of working with, and thus 'looking' for, correspondence with/to fact/reality.

It may also be quite helpful to begin distinguishing between the different definitions(senses) of the terms "truth" and "fact" being used here.

Necromancer

Re: What is truth? Truth is Simple

Post by Necromancer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 am

"Truth is Simple"
by Leon Horsten; Graham E. Leigh

Abstract:
Even though disquotationalism is not correct as it is usually formulated, a deep insight lies behind it. Specifically, it can be argued that, modulo implicit commitment to reflection principles, all there is to the notion of truth is given by a simple, natural collection of truth-biconditionals.
- From https://academic.oup.com/mind/issue, Volume 126, Issue 501, January 2017.

:D

Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 pm

I don't want to sound over simplistic, but it may (and I want to emphasize "may") be broken down to one word: Definition.

osgart

Post by osgart » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:09 am

worth

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:32 am

Truth is the actual state of affairs within the universal framework, that humans may one day know complete, if they're honest, and don't kill themselves off or are killed off by the universe beforehand. The truth is never 'determined' by humans, only ever the universe, though fools believe otherwise. Humans can only ever come to know the truths that are already present, once they've removed the sleep from their minds eye. In the day of humanities total understanding of all truths, it's only the first few minutes of the first hour.

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 pm
I don't want to sound over simplistic, but it may (and I want to emphasize "may") be broken down to one word: Definition.
That's actually the best starting place, lest we be riddled with semantic confusion(s). I would only add that some definitions are of things that exist prior to our naming and defining them... "truth" as correspondence to fact/reality is one, as is "thought/belief" as mental correlation(s), etc.

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Simone Weil wrote, "What is sacred in science is truth; what is sacred in art is beauty. Truth and beauty are impersonal."

It seems that the personal must be our interpretations. The impersonal is what IS - the impressions themselves received before interpretations..