Self-liberation

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

waechter418

Self-liberation

Post by waechter418 »

Liberation from the confines of mind, has been tried for at least two millennia, and proven to be a Sisyphean task, as the respective undertakings tend to add to the complexity of mind.
Since the beginning of the twentieth century, mind is apparently able to liberate itself through Self-realisation.
Impenitent

Re: Self-liberation

Post by Impenitent »

and I was expecting a riff on Houdini...

-Imp
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

this is just the beginning of the illusion - follow it through, and you will get a surprise :lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

I thought, Yogananda. However, the lineage of Kriya Yoga is said to begin with the ageless Babaji.
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

Mind accumulates and transforms external/internal events - Self is the core of Mind
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:35 am is said to begin with the ageless Babaji.
How can anything be ageless? However long the Babaji has been around, that's how old it is.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

waechter418 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm Liberation from the confines of mind, has been tried for at least two millennia, and proven to be a Sisyphean task,
We all achieve it eventually, whether we want to or not.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:43 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:35 am is said to begin with the ageless Babaji.
How can anything be ageless? However long the Babaji has been around, that's how old it is.
Merriam or Webster or both insist that ageless means not growing old or showing the effects of age. They say nothing of origin point that begins the countdown to the end of the universe, and anyone who does is just speculating. Find the oldest thing you can find and that still doesn’t say where it came from.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:21 am Merriam or Webster or both insist that ageless means not growing old or showing the effects of age.
In what way am I responsible for what Merriam or Webster say? I attribute age according to how long something has been around, in this case the Babaji which, incidentally, is better eaten fresh.
Find the oldest thing you can find and that still doesn’t say where it came from.
I don't think I said anything about where anything came from.
Walker

Post by Walker »

You did when you equated age with ageless, for age implies a beginning: a birth point to begin counting the seasons, the rings in the tree, the age of the universe. Ageless does not imply that beginning. What does not begin, does not end. Dualistic mind says that all things begin and end and makes it so in the understanding, discarding what doesn't fit the mold.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:34 pm Ageless does not imply that beginning. What does not begin, does not end. Dualistic mind says that all things begin and end.
Ageless implies non existence and if something has no beginning or end that also implies non existence. You may talk about having no beginning or end but your mind, albeit "dualistic" or not, cannot even conceptualise what that means.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Don’t you instead mean that ageless implies ever-existent, rather than never existent?

Some say the universe has always been.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 pm Don’t you instead mean that ageless implies ever-existent, rather than never existent?
No, I don't mean that.
Some say the universe has always been.
Well I'm not saying that and it's what I'm saying that you seem to be challenging, I don't really see the relevance of what some others say.
Walker

Post by Walker »

:|

It is true that ageless is a modifier used in description, as are many words. For instance, I would be inclined to say the humorous Harbal, whereas other folks might be inclined to say The Harbal, others might simply say Harbal, and others might say God knows what.

Any particular inclination is the activation of latent samskaras by conditions which allow the burning off of the tendency through karma, or action bound to time. Karma implies rebirth of that which is not born which clings along for the ride until karma leaves only that which is not born. The microcosm of a single lifetime, no matter the form of the life, embodies the eternal, although you may not have mentioned that.
osgart

Post by osgart »

why would someone want to be liberated from mind in the first place?