Dontaskme

What is Space?

Post by Dontaskme »

:?:

Any ideas?
PauloL

Re: What is Space?

Post by PauloL »

x..............................................................................................................x

........... :!:

........... Some!

x..............................................................................................................x
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:12 pm :?:

Any ideas?
Yes, it's the final frontier.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Highly recommended:

Space and Time from the book "Beyond Experience: Metaphysical Theories and Philosophical Constraints," by Norman Swartz, professor emeritus of philosophy at Simon Fraser University.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Any ideas?
Yes, it's the final frontier.
Fascinating

PhilX 🇺🇸
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PauloL wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:18 pm :!:

Some!
I hope it isn't lonely.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

x.............................................................................................................x

............................................ What do you mean "it"?

x.............................................................................................................x
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Any ideas?

........... Alea jacta est!

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Space is a dimension or to be more specific three dimensions. Along with time which is also a dimension it makes up the four dimensional
manifold known as spacetime. Space is also the distance between objects and points. And without space nothing could exist as a thing by
definition has to possess property or dimension. And property or dimension cannot exist in no space for only nothing can exist in no space
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

I think Hegel can help a lot here:

“space is the pure abstract continuity of the activity of light – not being active as such, however, but rather the form of its being uninterrupted”

I think Hegel meant: space is the purest abstract continuity of the form of light being uninterrupted, but I can be misinterpreting.

Or, put another way again insuperably much more clearly by Hegel himself:

"space is the ideal – i.e. abstract and formal – moment of the absolute self-equality of the ether"

Once more, I think Hegel meant: space is the abstract and formal moment of the absolute self-equality of the ether, but I can be misinterpreting once again.

davidm

Post by davidm »

There is no ether.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

...to be decided by science not by philosophy or philosophers who can do nothing more than speculate premised on their own logic.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dubious wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:27 pm ...to be decided by science not by philosophy or philosophers who can do nothing more than speculate premised on their own logic.
Then are there no philosophers who refuse to theorise until and unless they have begun by collecting a lot of evidence?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm Yes, it's the final frontier.
Yes, and it's a pity you can't get there from where you are.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Belinda wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 am Then are there no philosophers who refuse to theorise until and unless they have begun by collecting a lot of evidence?
That would be a philosopher scientists as opposed to one who is only a philosopher, and believes the human mind can think of and solve any problem with just thought. That kind of "Ivory Tower" thinking is bound to fail because it refuses to account for the real world.