Self Awareness and the interchangeable partner

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jttcom

Self Awareness and the interchangeable partner

Post by jttcom »

I'm struggling with something but not sure if it is just my conditioning fighting back ;)

This is from Anthony De Mello's "Awareness":

"A young man came to complain that his girlfriend had let him down, that she had played false. What are you complaining about? Did you expect any better? Expect the worst, you're dealing with selfish people. You're the idiot - you glorified her, didn't you? "

That's taken a little out of context but you can google down the preceding text which basically says it is our nature to be selfish, and even when we are helping others there is selfishness at work ... all fine with that.

But lets say I was enlightened. As De Mello would have put it, "I had woken up". Would this mean if someone came and changed my wife for another woman that wouldn't bother me at all? How could it? I would be relying on neither for my happiness and neither could do anything to annoy/upset/depress me.
Harbal

Re: Self Awareness and the interchangeable partner

Post by Harbal »

jttcom wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 pm I'm struggling with something
Are you eating enough fibre?
if someone came and changed my wife for another woman
Do you have a contact number for this someone?
Dontaskme

Re: Self Awareness and the interchangeable partner

Post by Dontaskme »

jttcom wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 pm I'm struggling with something but not sure if it is just my conditioning fighting back ;)

This is from Anthony De Mello's "Awareness":

"A young man came to complain that his girlfriend had let him down, that she had played false. What are you complaining about? Did you expect any better? Expect the worst, you're dealing with selfish people. You're the idiot - you glorified her, didn't you? "

That's taken a little out of context but you can google down the preceding text which basically says it is our nature to be selfish, and even when we are helping others there is selfishness at work ... all fine with that.
Where there's a ''self'' there will always be selfishness...A 'self' has to be maintained, it needs to be defended and supported. A 'self' that says.. ''Look at me aren't I the hero'', or '' Now don't you leave me,don't you dare leave me, I'll be left all alone if you leave me.''

This is the (misery self) the self-conscious, superimposed phantom self that believes it's one day going to die. So it goes all out to get what it wants, and spends just about all it's allotted time and every ounce of energy it can muster to get what it wants at any cost. The more it gets, the more it wants, and the bigger it gets the harder it falls,because what goes up must come down, any bolstering of an imaginary position is always doomed for failure since phantoms exist only as an idea. Phantoms are essentially living an illusory life, and it's no wonder they can never find fulfilment or purpose to their lives.
The "One" that needs to be entertained is an anthropomorphic addendum.

jttcom wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 pmBut lets say I was enlightened. As De Mello would have put it, "I had woken up". Would this mean if someone came and changed my wife for another woman that wouldn't bother me at all? How could it? I would be relying on neither for my happiness and neither could do anything to annoy/upset/depress me.
Yes it would. it would mean you are no longer in relationship anymore. You are no longer co-dependant on any other person. When this zero point is realised, and you have awoken to the dream of separation,suddenly, everyone is your lover and your friend because you do not need them. This is the peace and freedom that passes all understanding that the sages speak of.

It must be obvious... that there is a contradiction in wanting to be perfectly secure in a universe whose very nature is momentariness and fluidity.