The Circle of Infinity

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Reflex

The Circle of Infinity

Post by Reflex »

“God is the circle of infinity whose center is everywhere and circumference nowhere” is an adage that, in one form or another, predates Christianity by centuries. If true, what are the implications and what are the ramifications if widely accepted as an indisputable truism? What solid evidence or argument can be used against the hypothesis?
Dontaskme

Re: The Circle of Infinity

Post by Dontaskme »

Reflex wrote:“God is the circle of infinity whose center is everywhere and circumference nowhere” is an adage that, in one form or another, predates Christianity by centuries. If true, what are the implications and what are the ramifications if widely accepted as an indisputable truism? What solid evidence or argument can be used against the hypothesis?
To predate something requires a human mind surely? The reason I say human is because I identify with that as what I know locally.

So if God is infinity, then Christianity is a just a story of the human condition arising now which is just another word for infinity.

So I don't really get what the OP is supposed to imply?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Reflex wrote:solid evidence or argument can be used against the hypothesis?
It's not a hypothesis, it's just another meaningless "spiritual" utterance.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Harbal wrote:
Reflex wrote:solid evidence or argument can be used against the hypothesis?
It's not a hypothesis, it's just another meaningless "spiritual" utterance.
Not in light of modern physics and cosmology.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Reflex wrote:Not in light of modern physics and cosmology.
Okay, take it a bit at a time: How is it possible for the centre of something to be everywhere?
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Harbal wrote:
Reflex wrote:Not in light of modern physics and cosmology.
Okay, take it a bit at a time: How is it possible for the centre of something to be everywhere?
First, the question was not whether the hypothesis is true, but what the implications are if it is true and the ramifications it it was broadly accepted as such.

Second, infinity is not a "something" any more than it is a number.

Third, in light of quantum physics as I understand it, it is entirely possible to say that every thing, every where, every when and their every possibility converge in a common Ground or unstable "nothingness."
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Reflex wrote: First, the question was not whether the hypothesis is true, but what the implications are if it is true and the ramifications it it was broadly accepted as such.
What you call the "hypothesis" is just meaningless words, which disqualifies it from even being assessed for truth. What implications could possibly be implied by sheer nonsense? I imagine the ramifications would be that people would end up scratching their heads wondering what to make of it.
Second, infinity is not a "something" any more than it is a number.
Well the list of things that it isn't must, itself, be almost infinite. It isn't a pair of boxer shorts or a gentleman's magazine either but knowing that doesn't seem to get us any closer to knowing what it is.
Third, in light of quantum physics as I understand it, it is entirely possible to say that every thing, every where, every when and their every possibility converge in a common Ground or unstable "nothingness."
Presumably, "unstable nothingness" could turn into somethingness at any minute.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Reflex wrote:“God is the circle of infinity whose center is everywhere and circumference nowhere” is an adage that, in one form or another, predates Christianity by centuries. If true, what are the implications and what are the ramifications if widely accepted as an indisputable truism?
We may conclude that the speaker is ignorant of basic geometry.
Reflex wrote: What solid evidence or argument can be used against the hypothesis?
Any middle school geometry text.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

:lol: Tiny minds, tiny perspectives.

This is the 21st Century, not the 19th.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Harbal wrote: Okay, take it a bit at a time: How is it possible for the centre of something to be everywhere?
shatter the bottle

-Imp
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Reflex wrote::lol: Tiny minds, tiny perspectives.

This is the 21st Century, not the 19th.
Okay, Reflex, I was only giving my opinion. I certainly had no intention of standing in your way as far as your attempt to make an idiot of yourself is concerned.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Impenitent wrote:
Harbal wrote: Okay, take it a bit at a time: How is it possible for the centre of something to be everywhere?
shatter the bottle

-Imp
Good answer.
osgart

Post by osgart »

how is non locality possible and yet it's fact.

omnipresence is very real.

no one has any materialist refutation to it's fact.

It's tiresome to see so many materialist meatheads ascribing mind as matter as the default start to rational debate.

there by logical deduction we must infer some kind of non physical reality.

reality is conceptual in nature; there is an art to it's formation and function. anything that functions must be caused by an intelligent force that reasons.

matter isn't life force, it's only energy and mass, I ascribe nothing of life to it, the material has no special life giving qualities; therefore another reality exists.
Walker

Post by Walker »

osgart wrote:reality is conceptual in nature; there is an art to it's formation and function. anything that functions must be caused by an intelligent force that reasons.
In keeping with recent forum themes of joking, PC, non-PC, God, self-driving trucks, would you mind if I structured a joke around this?

I also need a nationality for the joke, if you have a suggestion.
osgart

Post by osgart »

sure why not, english, Scottish and most of all american

this place is lacking some humor.