Questions about Descartes ''I think therefore I am''

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Questions about Descartes ''I think therefore I am''

Post by Dontaskme »

''Who'' is the I who is thinking? ... in or to whom does a thought arise?

''Who'' is the I in I am receiving a thought so I am.?

What / who am I ?
Terrapin Station

Re: Questions about Descartes ''I think therefore I am''

Post by Terrapin Station »

Why do you keep asking this same question more or less?

It's not as if you're really wondering what the answer is, is it?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Terrapin Station wrote:Why do you keep asking this same question more or less?

My mission on earth is to ease the suffering of other people and to help them relax into their true nature which is boundlessly free from limitation or tension that comes with believing in a separate ''me'

Do you know the answers to the OP?
Terrapin Station

Dontaskme wrote:

My mission on earth is to ease the suffering of other people and to help them relax into their true nature which is boundlessly free from limitation or tension that comes with believing in a separate ''me'

I suffer a lot more from the nonsense you type than I would if you were to be reasonable. So if you want to alleviate suffering . . .
Skip

Post by Skip »

Dontaskme wrote:''Who'' is the I who is thinking? ... in or to whom does a thought arise?
Descates
''Who'' is the I in I am receiving a thought so I am.?
He never said he received the thought. He just did the thinking. Process, not package.
What / who am I ?
Don't ask me!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Terrapin Station wrote:
I suffer a lot more from the nonsense you type than I would if you were to be reasonable. So if you want to alleviate suffering . . .
Your response is indicative of your apparent suffering. And that is why you will continue to respond to me, because you are addicted to your suffering, it's the only thing that makes you feel alive. Else you'd ignore me... :lol:

Your desire to respond to me, is the way you entertain your bored self by imagining you are saying something witty or clever, but it's actually boring is as boring does, not clever or witty.. it's like one big YAWN! :shock:

Go away if your not genuinely interested in the thread topic.. I'm being serious about what I talk about.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skip wrote: He never said he received the thought. He just did the thinking. Process, not package.
But he did assume he received a thought by saying ''I think therefore I am'' interpreted as I must exist to have a thought, so again who is the I existing that must be in order to receive the thought?

Did he forget to explain that part of the statement... this ridiculous statement is the sickness of the human mind that thinks it is capable of thinking it is the one thinking.

The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skip wrote:

Don't ask me!
Descartes could reason that even if he has the ability to doubt his existence something must be existing to even doubt it in the first place. The fact that he can think is what assures himself of his own existence.

But he forgot to reason that it was not his own existence.

Will explain later what I mean.
Terrapin Station

Dontaskme wrote:Your response is indicative of your apparent suffering. And that is why you will continue to respond to me, because you are addicted to your suffering, it's the only thing that makes you feel alive. Else you'd ignore me... :lol:
Actually I just want to talk philosophy with people who are friendly, reasonable and who don't see all interaction as something akin to a wrestling match. IRC was that for awhile but it's dead now. This is unfortunately one of the closest things available. I wouldn't respond to you if there were more threads here, but this place is slower than molasses in January.
Terrapin Station

Dontaskme wrote:But he did assume he received a thought by saying ''I think therefore I am'' interpreted as I must exist to have a thought, so again who is the I existing that must be in order to receive the thought?
He's using "receive" in a stricter sense than you are. "Receive" as one would receive a football from a quarterback.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:Your response is indicative of your apparent suffering. And that is why you will continue to respond to me, because you are addicted to your suffering, it's the only thing that makes you feel alive. Else you'd ignore me... :lol:
Actually I just want to talk philosophy with people who are friendly, reasonable and who don't see all interaction as something akin to a wrestling match. IRC was that for awhile but it's dead now. This is unfortunately one of the closest things available. I wouldn't respond to you if there were more threads here, but this place is slower than molasses in January.
Don't try to find the answers to life in philosophy, you won't find anything of any value except narrative and story about how life ought to be rather than how it actually is.

That you see this communication with me as a wrestling match is your suffering, it's your mental projection only. It's not actually true. If it were true you'd be out of the lions den never to return. I've already stated I'm here to help people. I may come across as tough love, but that's how we grow as warriors of truth and justice. If you want sugar coated conversation don't look for answers on the internet forums. Look within yourself...or go to a nice quite library.

I'm used to being in the lions den that is the internet. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I'm hoping to at least help some one out there to leave their self inflicted prison they have created one full of lies and deceit... to awaken them to real freedom truth and justice.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Terrapin Station wrote:He's using "receive" in a stricter sense than you are. "Receive" as one would receive a football from a quarterback.
So what are you saying now, that he is saying he's receiving the thought from some other source other than himself?

I don''t understand what you mean, please explain?
Terrapin Station

Dontaskme wrote:Don't try to find the answers to life in philosophy, you won't find anything of any value except narrative and story about how life ought to be rather than how it actually is.
I'm not trying to find the answers to anything. I'm not on a quest to change anything or solve anything. I enjoy philosophy, I enjoy talking about it, and both thinking and writing about it are good "exercise."
That you see this communication with me as a wrestling match is your suffering,
I wasn't referring specifically to you. People like to argue--er, "debate" online. I actually do not care for arguing/debating. I prefer friendly, casual, mutually respectful interaction.
Terrapin Station

Dontaskme wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:He's using "receive" in a stricter sense than you are. "Receive" as one would receive a football from a quarterback.
So what are you saying now, that he is saying he's receiving the thought from some other source other than himself?

I don''t understand what you mean, please explain?
That's how he was reading your usage of "receive"--acquiring something transmitted from another source (again, like receiving a football for example).
Noax

Post by Noax »

Dontaskme wrote:

How do you expect an actual answer to make a difference in the ease of suffering of others? Not like anybody on this forum is particularly open to persuasion, let alone the rest of the world. We're all quite used to seeing somebody standing on a soap box preaching the truth to all who would listen. We'd probably listen more if the truth preached didn't conflict with the truth preached by the next guy.

If there was a way to disprove the other answers (interpretations) to it, it would not be philosophy. But you seem to already know the answer by the way the post above is worded, so like Terrapin says, why ask? You seem to ask for proof of a view you already hold, not an open inquiry into view for which you hold no particular position.

Maybe the wrong answer goes a long way towards the ease of suffering and tension. Delusion is often sweeter than truth, and delusion also makes one more fit.

If I may ask one more question, why the goal to reduce suffering? Killing everybody is the best way to do that. If that's not the ultimate morality, then perhaps a review of your goals is in order.
Not claiming any informed knowledge, but I don't think Descartes assumed an "I" in his statement. Taken more from the original text, he simply said there is doubt. Thinking, therefore existence, but not necessarily an "I" doing it. That conclusion comes later.