Self-awareness?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RG1

Re: Self-awareness?

Post by RG1 »

bahman wrote:This is just a claim: Experience needs an experiencer.
No. This is not just a claim, it is also a logical certainty. ‘A’ cannot be ‘not-A’. An event consists of something, otherwise it is nothing. It is not possible for something to exist without some-thing existing.

bahman wrote:We know that there have been a long debate existence of soul/mind. Do you have any proof that soul/mind (the experiencer) exist?
I think you are confusing this experiencer with a soul/mind. This experiencer is NOT a soul/mind. The experiencer only experiences (…that’s it, that’s all, …and nothing more!!!).

Experiencer Exists --- logically derived; for without an Experiencer, Experiencing could not exist (happen).

(...oh, and the Mind/Soul only exists in one's imagination!)

bahman wrote:This is central teaching of Buddhism which makes quite sense to me.
RG1 wrote:No offense Bahman, but it only makes sense to you because you are caught up in the ‘feel-goodness’ of your religion (Buddhism), which causes you to automatically (i.e. blindly) accept this as ‘truth’. You’ve discarded ‘logic' in favor of (religious) ‘feel-goodness’.

Note: Even the almighty Buddha can’t make the impossible, possible!
bahman wrote:Buddhism in not my religion.
Noted. Sorry for the false inference.
bahman

Post by bahman »

RG1 wrote: No. This is not just a claim, it is also a logical certainty. ‘A’ cannot be ‘not-A’. An event consists of something, otherwise it is nothing. It is not possible for something to exist without some-thing existing.
Then give me the proof if this is logical certainty.
RG1 wrote: I think you are confusing this experiencer with a soul/mind. This experiencer is NOT a soul/mind. The experiencer only experiences (…that’s it, that’s all, …and nothing more!!!).

Experiencer Exists --- logically derived; for without an Experiencer, Experiencing could not exist (happen).

(...oh, and the Mind/Soul only exists in one's imagination!)
No, you are confusion things. I am making clear distinction between a being who is necessary for the act of experience to happen and person who can experience and has soul/mind. What I am claiming is that there is no way to prove that which picture is true since experience is the sole thing that we have in our disposal.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Voidance wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Mind is a function of the brain so its source is not unknown and since the brain is physical the mind cannot be immaterial
It is well known that all our senses and brain functions / mind operate as electrical signals and all electrical signals
relate directly to the electric field which is considered immaterial thus part or all of our mind is immaterial
Were this so then any electrical phenomena would be incapable of observation or investigation
and this would include electromagnetism which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

Self is the vessel of All and thus hidden in it.
It is without knowledge of its beginnings, nor does it envision its ends.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from "aha" - publisized by waechter418 - in wordpress.com
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

Recommend reading: The discourse on Prajna (Mind essence) - by Hui-Neng

https://terebess.hu/zen/HuinengCleary.pdf