~ EVOLVING INTO PURE CONSCIOUSNESS ~

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: ~ EVOLVING INTO PURE CONSCIOUSNESS ~

Post by Walker »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Walker wrote:You have asked three questions before our thread-host Bill could bestow honor upon my humble contribution by asking one. You must have a very busy mind tempered by impatience.
Some violation of your personal posting etiquette or something?
If it should be other than questions, your philosophy obviously requires belief,
"Terrapin Station is a belief-averse atheist." <----WRONG.
and so you seek comprehension in what you imagine must exist as a fog upon consciousness for all,
"Terrapin Station thinks that consciousness is some sort of 'fog' (for all)." <----WRONG.
since you project through questions that like you, everyone else must be limited by belief.
"People can get 'beyond' belief (and still be alive and mentally active)." <---WRONG.
Grasshopper, does non-delusional comprehension require belief, or simply uncorrupted observation?
Delusion is an idea you invoked, not me. That would like me bringing up what I call my ontological perspectivalism or "reference-point relativism," you asking me a clarifying question, and then I ask you a conceptual question about it instead in return.

What about if we tried to have a good-faith, back-and-forth conversation instead of a bunch of attitude?
Not likely, with crap like this:

"Terrapin Station thinks that consciousness is some sort of 'fog' (for all)." <----WRONG.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.My highest degree is that of a Union Organizer Degree from the now defunct, George Meany Institute - National Labor College.
I'm impressed as I'd think that quite a hard course given what its training for. So are you saying you have a B.A. degree?
While an undergraduate at Lakeland Community College I received the highest marks in every philosophy & philosophy related class that I ever took.
How many? As you said elsewhere you took just an intro to philosophy so what degree were you taking here and did you pass?
I wear the mantel of leader, guru, gnu, prophet, with the highest regard here at the PhilosophyNow Forums. I take this responsibility seriously and I have encouraged leadership characteristics to be developed by ALL other active members here in order to follow in my footsteps.
I'm pleased you have embraced your gnuship but you appear to be confused as a gnu is not a guru and the title prophet is not exactly held in high esteem here nor is leader really.
Thank you for this opportunity but I am actually very uncomfortable talking about what some may consider to be accomplishments... [/size].
I agree, it is embarrassing but necessary at times.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

http://scienceblogs.com/developingintel ... like-a-co/

The brain came first, is superior to any computer, so pining for program or computer status is begging to be downgraded.

#

"Why do we so often assume that refinement of humanlike conscious awareness is the main game?"

There is no game.

"Our consciousness might be just one stage that can lead towards states that are more complex and so different to our consciousness that we might not recognise them as conscious at all."

Possible. In Galapagos, Vonnegut writes about man as a seal-like creature, absent of the pesky 'self'. 'I'-ness may be an aberration, a cul-de-sac, one the species will meander out of some day.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote: The brain came first, is superior to any computer, so pining for program or computer status is begging to be downgraded.
Don't disagree but there are other models of the future that doesn't involve the rapture of the nerds, so it might well be useful to be able to straight interface to fast processors(parallel and linear) and vast memory banks.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Walker wrote:Not likely, with crap like this:

As if I'm not responding to your attitude.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

A_uk,

There's an rpg, Eclipse Phase, wherein everyone is outfitted with the kind of interface you're talkin' about. Any one who isn't is viewed as backward and slow (retarded). What isn't considered: having quick and easy access to information (like the net for example) doesn't necessarily make one wiser. Take Bill as an example of this...he has the whole of the net to refer to, literally centuries of knowledge at his fingertips and look what he does with it. Drop a wire into his brain, give him a direct interface with the same information, and he'll generate the same crap he does now.

Me: I'll stick with libraries and books when I wanna learn sumthin'...I ain't built for speed (and I'm better off for it).
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Richard Stallman, the founder of the project, views GNU as a "technical means to a social end" or in other words is a technical avenue to pursue social justice

The goal was to bring a wholly free software operating system into existence. Stallman wanted computer users to be "free", as most were in the 1960s and 1970s – free to study the source code of the software they use, free to share the software with other people, free to modify the behavior of the software, and free to publish their modified versions of the software. This philosophy was later published as the GNU Manifesto in March 1985.

............................................. Richard Stallman, Guru & founder of the GNU project

I will fancy myself as being the official Guru & Gnu of the PhilosophyNow Forums. I LOVE the title, and the Guru here for the philosophy of free boundless information and if that is what some minions wish to look at me as - I could not be happier!

Peace. Love, from your new, official Gnu/Guru!

I respectfully request that all of you who proudly look-up to the values that I represent PLEASE, in the future, refer to me in this title.

Thank you & enjoy your day!

Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:A_uk,

There's an rpg, Eclipse Phase, wherein everyone is outfitted with the kind of interface you're talkin' about. Any one who isn't is viewed as backward and slow (retarded). What isn't considered: having quick and easy access to information (like the net for example) doesn't necessarily make one wiser. ...
No argument there, newish sci-fi has explored many of these possible worlds and the possible social and economic consequences of such technological aides. In these the interfaces are not just information retrievers but data processors, so fast adjuncts to selective portions of the human processing system.
Take Bill as an example of this...he has the whole of the net to refer to, literally centuries of knowledge at his fingertips and look what he does with it. Drop a wire into his brain, give him a direct interface with the same information, and he'll generate the same crap he does now.
No argument there.
Me: I'll stick with libraries and books when I wanna learn sumthin'...I ain't built for speed (and I'm better off for it).
Although the net is still pretty much exactly that, a giant library with slightly more interaction but reading is still the necessary prerequisite in the main. It's why Bill has a problem.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Cutting and pasting wiki does not make understanding.
Bill Wiltrack wrote:. Richard Stallman, the founder of the project, views GNU as a "technical means to a social end" or in other words is a technical avenue to pursue social justice

The goal was to bring a wholly free software operating system into existence. Stallman wanted computer users to be "free", as most were in the 1960s and 1970s – free to study the source code of the software they use, free to share the software with other people, free to modify the behavior of the software, and free to publish their modified versions of the software. This philosophy was later published as the GNU Manifesto in March 1985.
A great man and a true software guru and unlike you never a gnu. But I know all this already Bill as unlike you I was reading and studying this stuff pretty much as it was happening. The main problem is that they never quite managed to achieve their aims, it was Torvalds who gave the public a usable free OS as he had no compunction against building on At&T's and Stallman's work.

Just for free there's another guru who has been largely ignored and that's Ted Nelson and if his ideas had been implemented would have put the end to such as you plagiarizing others ideas. Although to be fair you may well have benefited from such a system but I doubt it.

I will fancy myself as being the official Guru & Gnu of the PhilosophyNow Forums. I LOVE the title, and the Guru here for the philosophy of free boundless information and if that is what some minions wish to look at me as - I could not be happier!
You can fancy what you like Bill but you're the gnu of PN not a guru, as a guru is a gnu with acolytes and you have none.
Peace. Love, from your new, official Gnu/Guru!
There's that problem again with redundant and contradictory terms. Still, All Hail the official Gnu say I.
I respectfully request that all of you who proudly look-up to the values that I represent PLEASE, in the future, refer to me in this title.
Gnu it is then. :lol:

BUt there'll be a problem looking-up to your values and what you represent as it's all backwards and downwards.
Thank you & enjoy your day![/size].
My pleasure and I just can't tell you how much. :lol:
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I'm waking up to ash and dust
I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust
I'm breathing in the chemicals

I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus
This is it, the apocalypse
Whoa

Imagine Dragons
~ Radioactive ~

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

My sound we come to take over
M.C. you better look over your shoulder
Yea we know we on and on,Oh well now
Skindred we in ah you area
Bring the raucous you know we superior
yer you know we on and on

Nobody - Skindred.

So are you saying you have a B.A. degree from the union college?

Lakeland Community College - what degree were you taking here and did you pass?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Associates' Degree - It's a two year college.

General Arts.

One thing I want to point-out. One thing I want to make very clear...I may have been taking college level courses in philosophy - but that wasn't important. Not at all.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing I was doing during my exemplary appearance in college was that I WAS DOING PHILOSOPHY.

Had NOTHING to do with my study, my study of philosophy.

Doing & studying are two TOTALLY different dynamics. They can work well together but don't think that if you study philosophy you are DOING philosophy.

Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Being the resident gnu/guru perhaps you could address the following;

You have said several times that "man is a machine." Given the fact that humans can exhibit self-consciousness, do you know of any machine in existence today that is self-conscious?

An associate degree is less than a bachelors degree so I hardly think this qualifies you to advise people on philosophy of mind.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Man is a machine that has the possibility of being self-consciousness.

To your other point - Jesus. Socrates.